OREMUS: 16 April 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Apr 15 21:42:22 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, April 16, 2007

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

The king rejoices in your strength, O Lord;*
 how greatly he exults in your victory!
You have given him his heart's desire;*
 you have not denied him the request of his lips.
For you meet him with blessings of prosperity,*
 and set a crown of fine gold upon his head.
He asked you for life and you gave it to him;*
 length of days, for ever and ever.
His honour is great, because of your victory;*
 splendour and majesty have you bestowed upon him.
For you will give him everlasting felicity*
 and will make him glad with the joy of your presence.
For the king puts his trust in the Lord;*
 because of the loving-kindness of the Most High,
   he will not fall.
Your hand will lay hold upon all your enemies;*
 your right hand will seize all those who hate you.
You will make them like a fiery furnace*
 at the time of your appearing, O Lord;
You will swallow them up in your wrath,*
 and fire shall consume them.
You will destroy their offspring from the land*
 and their descendants
   from among the peoples of the earth.
Though they intend evil against you
   and devise wicked schemes,*
 yet they shall not prevail.
For you will put them to flight*
 and aim your arrows at them.
Be exalted, O Lord, in your might;*
 we will sing and praise your power.

Psalm 99

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
   you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
   and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
   and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
   yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Esther 7:1-10]:

So the king and Haman went in to feast with Queen Esther. On the second day, as they were
drinking wine, the king again said to Esther, 'What is your petition, Queen Esther? It shall be
granted you. And what is your request? Even to the half of my kingdom, it shall be fulfilled.' Then
Queen Esther answered, 'If I have won your favour, O king, and if it pleases the king, let my life
be given me that is my petition and the lives of my people that is my request. For we have
been sold, I and my people, to be destroyed, to be killed, and to be annihilated. If we had been
sold merely as slaves, men and women, I would have held my peace; but no enemy can
compensate for this damage to the king.' Then King Ahasuerus said to Queen Esther, 'Who is he,
and where is he, who has presumed to do this?' Esther said, 'A foe and enemy, this wicked
Haman!' Then Haman was terrified before the king and the queen. The king rose from the feast in
wrath and went into the palace garden, but Haman stayed to beg his life from Queen Esther, for
he saw that the king had determined to destroy him. When the king returned from the palace
garden to the banquet hall, Haman had thrown himself on the couch where Esther was reclining;
and the king said, 'Will he even assault the queen in my presence, in my own house?' As the
words left the mouth of the king, they covered Haman's face. Then Harbona, one of the eunuchs
in attendance on the king, said, 'Look, the very gallows that Haman has prepared for Mordecai,
whose word saved the king, stands at Haman's house, fifty cubits high.' And the king said, 'Hang
him on that.' So they hanged Haman on the gallows that he had prepared for Mordecai. Then the
anger of the king abated.

HYMN
Words: James Russell Lowell, 1849
Tune: Ton-y-botel
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o786.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o786.html

Once to every man and nation,
comes the moment to decide,
in the strife of truth with falsehood,
for the good or evil side;
some great cause, some great decision,
offering each the bloom or blight,
and the choice goes by forever,
'twixt that darkness and that light.

Then to side with truth is noble,
when we share her wretched crust,
ere her cause bring fame and profit,
and 'tis prosperous to be just;
then it is the brave man chooses
while the coward stands aside,
till the multitude make virtue
of the faith they had denied.

By the light of burning martyrs,
Christ, thy bleeding feet we track,
toiling up new Calvaries ever
with the cross that turns not back;
new occasions teach new duties,
ancient values test our youth;
they must upward still and onward,
who would keep abreast of truth.

Though the cause of evil prosper,
yet the truth alone is strong;
though her portion be the scaffold,
and upon the throne be wrong;
yet that scaffold sways the future,
and behind the dim unknown,
standeth God within the shadow,
keeping watch above his own.

SECOND READING [Revelation 1:9-20]:

I, John, your brother who share with you in Jesus the persecution and the kingdom and the patient
endurance, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of
Jesus. I was in the spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet
saying, 'Write in a book what you see and send it to the seven churches, to Ephesus, to Smyrna,
to Pergamum, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.'
Then I turned to see whose voice it was that spoke to me, and on turning I saw seven golden
lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands I saw one like the Son of Man, clothed with a long
robe and with a golden sash across his chest. His head and his hair were white as white wool,
white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in
a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars,
and from his mouth came a sharp, two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining with
full force.
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he placed his right hand on me, saying, 'Do
not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive for ever
and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you have seen, what is, and
what is to take place after this. As for the mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right
hand, and the seven golden lampstands: the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and
the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
O Sun of righteousness,
you came forth from the dark night of death.
May you rise also in our hearts,
and enable us to contemplate the glories
of this sacred mystery,
that we may praise and glorify you for ever.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Prince of Life,
you take away the old leaven of malice and evil
that we may always walk with you and serve you:
Abide continually with us,
that in everything we do we may not forget the joy of your resurrection.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Paschal Lamb, offered for all,
you have taken away the sin of the world
and by rising again you have restored to us everlasting life.
Send laborers into the harvest
to proclaim the life you offer to those who believe.
We pray especially for
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Conqueror of death and captain of our salvation,
you overcame the darkness of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven for all believers.
We thank you for those saints whom you have already led
through death to life in the glory of heaven.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Lord our king, exalted on high,
yet stooping to the measure of our lowliness,
you have called us to be holy for you are holy:
as in our worship we confess your glory,
so may our lives be directed in righteousness;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

Contemporary Language_.