OREMUS: 15 April 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Sun Apr 15 00:04:28 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, April 15, 2007
The Second Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
  his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
  let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
  let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
  and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
  and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
  and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
    encompasses those who fear him,*
  and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
  happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
  for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
  but those who seek the Lord
    lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
  I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
  and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
  and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
  seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
  and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
  to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
  and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
  and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
  but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
  not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
  and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
  and none will be punished who trust in him.

The Song of Moses and Miriam (Exodus 15.1b-3,6,10,13,17

I will sing to the Lord, who has triumphed gloriously,
the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my song
and has become my salvation.
This is my God whom I will praise,
the God of my forebears whom I will exalt.
The Lord is a warrior,
the Lord is his name.
Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power:
your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.
At the blast of your nostrils, the sea covered them;
they sank as lead in the mighty waters.
In your unfailing love, O Lord,
you lead the people whom you have redeemed.
And by your invincible strength
you will guide them to your holy dwelling.
You will bring them in and plant them, O Lord,
in the sanctuary which your hands have established.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 26:1-15]:

On that day this song will be sung in the land of Judah:
We have a strong city;
he sets up victory
like walls and bulwarks.
Open the gates,
so that the righteous nation that keeps faith
may enter in.
Those of steadfast mind you keep in peace
in peace because they trust in you.
Trust in the Lord for ever,
for in the Lord God
you have an everlasting rock.
For he has brought low
the inhabitants of the height;
the lofty city he lays low.
He lays it low to the ground,
casts it to the dust.
The foot tramples it,
the feet of the poor,
the steps of the needy.

The way of the righteous is level;
O Just One, you make smooth the path of the righteous.
In the path of your judgements,
O Lord, we wait for you;
your name and your renown
are the soul's desire.
My soul yearns for you in the night,
my spirit within me earnestly seeks you.
For when your judgements are in the earth,
the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.
If favour is shown to the wicked,
they do not learn righteousness;
in the land of uprightness they deal perversely
and do not see the majesty of the Lord.
O Lord, your hand is lifted up,
but they do not see it.
Let them see your zeal for your people, and be ashamed.
Let the fire for your adversaries consume them.
O Lord, you will ordain peace for us,
for indeed, all that we have done, you have done for us.
O Lord our God,
other lords besides you have ruled over us,
but we acknowledge your name alone.
The dead do not live;
shades do not rise
because you have punished and destroyed them,
and wiped out all memory of them.
But you have increased the nation, O Lord,
you have increased the nation; you are glorified;
you have enlarged all the borders of the land.

HYMN
Words: Cecil Frances Alexander, 1846
Tune: Unser Herrscher

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h128.html

He is risen, he is risen!
Tell it out with joyful voice:
he has burst his three days' prison;
let the whole wide earth rejoice:
death is conquered, man is free,
Christ has won the victory.

Come, ye sad and fearful-hearted,
with glad smile and radiant brow!
Lent's long shadows have departed;
Jesus' woes are over now,
and the passion that he bore--
sin and pain can vex no more.

Come, with high and holy hymning,
hail our Lord's triumphant day;
not one darksome cloud is dimming
yonder glorious morning ray,
breaking o'er the purple east,
symbol of our Easter feast.

He is risen, he is risen!
He hath opened heaven's gate:
we are free from sin's dark prison,
risen to a holier state;
and a brighter Easter beam
on our longing eyes shall stream.

SECOND READING [Mark 12:18-27]:

Some Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him and asked him
a question, saying, 'Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man's brother
dies, leaving a wife but no child, the man shall marry the widow and raise
up children for his brother. There were seven brothers; the first married
and, when he died, left no children; and the second married her and died,
leaving no children; and the third likewise; none of the seven left
children. Last of all the woman herself died. In the resurrection whose
wife will she be? For the seven had married her.'

Jesus said to them, 'Is not this the reason you are wrong, that you know
neither the scriptures nor the power of God? For when they rise from the
dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in
heaven. And as for the dead being raised, have you not read in the book of
Moses, in the story about the bush, how God said to him, "I am the God of
Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob"? He is God not of the
dead, but of the living; you are quite wrong.'

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
We pray to Jesus who is present with us to eternity.

Jesus, light of the world,
bring the light and peace of your Gospel to the nations ...
Jesus, Lord of life,
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, bread of life,
give food to the hungry ...
and nourish us all with your word.
Jesus, Lord of life,
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, our way, our truth, our life,
be with us and all who follow you in the way ...
deepen our appreciation of your truth,
and fill us with your life.
Jesus, Lord of life,
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, Good Shepherd who gave your life for the sheep,
recover the straggler,
bind up the injured,
strengthen the sick
and lead the healthy and strong to new pastures.
Jesus, Lord of life,
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, the resurrection and the life,
we give you thanks for all who have lived and
believed in you ...
raise us with them to eternal life.
Jesus, Lord of life,
in your mercy, hear us.

Living God,
for whom no door is closed,
no heart is locked:
Draw us beyond our doubts,
till we see your Christ and touch his wounds where they bleed in others.
This we ask through Jesus Christ our Savior,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses one sentence from Revised Common
Lectionary Prayers, copyright © 2002 Consultation on Common Texts and
another sentence from Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language.

The intercession is from New Patterns for Worship, copyright © The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The collect is from Book of Common Worship, © 1993 Westminster / John Knox
Press.

The closing sentence is from New Patterns for Worship, copyright © The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.