OREMUS: 14 April 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Apr 13 17:00:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, April 14, 2007
Saturday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

I will exalt you, O Lord,
   because you have lifted me up*
 and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
 and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
 you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
 give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
 his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
 but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
   'I shall never be disturbed.*
 You, Lord, with your favour,
   made me as strong as the mountains.'
Then you hid your face,*
 and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
 I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
'What profit is there in my blood,
   if I go down to the Pit?*
 will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
'Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
 O Lord, be my helper.'
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
 you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
 O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 17:32-51]:

David said to Saul, 'Let no one's heart fail because of him; your servant will go and fight with this
Philistine.' Saul said to David, 'You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him; for
you are just a boy, and he has been a warrior from his youth.' But David said to Saul, 'Your
servant used to keep sheep for his father; and whenever a lion or a bear came, and took a lamb
from the flock, I went after it and struck it down, rescuing the lamb from its mouth; and if it
turned against me, I would catch it by the jaw, strike it down, and kill it. Your servant has killed
both lions and bears; and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be like one of them, since he has
defied the armies of the living God.' David said, 'The Lord, who saved me from the paw of the
lion and from the paw of the bear, will save me from the hand of this Philistine.' So Saul said to
David, 'Go, and may the Lord be with you!'

Saul clothed David with his armour; he put a bronze helmet on his head and clothed him with a
coat of mail. David strapped Saul's sword over the armour, and he tried in vain to walk, for he
was not used to them. Then David said to Saul, 'I cannot walk with these; for I am not used to
them.' So David removed them. Then he took his staff in his hand, and chose five smooth stones
from the wadi, and put them in his shepherd's bag, in the pouch; his sling was in his hand, and he
drew near to the Philistine.

The Philistine came on and drew near to David, with his shield-bearer in front of him. When the
Philistine looked and saw David, he disdained him, for he was only a youth, ruddy and handsome
in appearance. The Philistine said to David, 'Am I a dog, that you come to me with sticks?' And
the Philistine cursed David by his gods. The Philistine said to David, 'Come to me, and I will give
your flesh to the birds of the air and to the wild animals of the field.' But David said to the
Philistine, 'You come to me with sword and spear and javelin; but I come to you in the name of
the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This very day the Lord
will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you down and cut off your head; and I will give the
dead bodies of the Philistine army this very day to the birds of the air and to the wild animals of
the earth, so that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel, and that all this assembly
may know that the Lord does not save by sword and spear; for the battle is the Lord's and he will
give you into our hand.'

When the Philistine drew nearer to meet David, David ran quickly towards the battle line to meet
the Philistine. David put his hand in his bag, took out a stone, slung it, and struck the Philistine on
his forehead; the stone sank into his forehead, and he fell face down on the ground.

So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, striking down the Philistine and
killing him; there was no sword in David's hand. Then David ran and stood over the Philistine; he
grasped his sword, drew it out of its sheath, and killed him; then he cut off his head with it.

When the Philistines saw that their champion was dead, they fled.

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (c)
Tune: Song 46
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a160.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a160.html

All shall be well! For on our Easter skies
see Christ the sun of righteousness arise.

All shall be well! The sacrifice is made,
the sinner freed, the price of pardon paid.

All shall be well! The cross and passion past,
dark night is done, bright morning come at last.

All shall be well! Lift every voice on high;
"Death has no more dominion but shall die."

Jesus alive! Rejoice and sing again;
all shall be well for evermore, Amen!

SECOND READING [Luke 24:36-40]:

While they were talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, 'Peace be
with you.' They were startled and terrified, and thought that they were seeing a ghost. He said to
them, 'Why are you frightened, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? Look at my hands and my
feet; see that it is I myself. Touch me and see; for a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you
see that I have.' And when he had said this, he showed them his hands and his feet.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Jesus, Light of the world,
bring the light and peace of your Gospel
to the nations.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Bread of life,
give food to the hungry
and nourish us all with your Word.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, our Way, our Truth, our Life,
be with us and all who follow in the way.
Deepen our appreciation of your truth
and fill us with your life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Good Shepherd,
who gave your life for the sheep,
recover the straggler,
bind up the injured,
strengthen the sick
and lead the healthy and strong to new pastures.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, the Resurrection and the Life,
we give you thanks for all who have lived and believed in you.
Raise us with them to eternal life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

We thank you, heavenly Father,
that you have delivered us
from the dominion of sin and death
and brought us into the kingdom of your Son;
and we pray that, as by his death he has recalled us to life,
so by his love he may raise us to eternal joys;
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Hymn (c) 1984 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, Europe
& Africa, contact: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith, 9
Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _New Patterns for
Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.