OREMUS: 13 April 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Apr 12 20:45:35 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, April 13, 2007
Friday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

 sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
Sing to the Lord and bless his name;*
 proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations*
 and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols;*
 but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
O the majesty and magnificence of his presence!*
 O the power and the splendour of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples;*
 ascribe to the Lord honour and power.
Ascribe to the Lord the honour due to his name;*
 bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;*
 let the whole earth tremble before him.
Tell it out among the nations: 'The Lord is king!*
 he has made the world so firm that it cannot be moved;
   he will judge the peoples with equity.'<td
colspan=2>
Let the heavens rejoice and let the earth be glad;
   let the sea thunder and all that is in it;*
 let the field be joyful and all that is therein.
Then shall all the trees of the wood shout for joy
   before the Lord when he comes,*
 when he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness*
 and the peoples with his truth.

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 17:19-32]:

Now Saul, and they, and all the men of Israel, were in the valley of Elah, fighting with the
Philistines. David rose early in the morning, left someone in charge of the sheep, took the
provisions, and went as Jesse had commanded him. He came to the encampment as the army was
going forth to the battle line, shouting the war cry. Israel and the Philistines drew up for battle,
army against army. David left the things in charge of the keeper of the baggage, ran to the ranks,
and went and greeted his brothers. As he talked with them, the champion, the Philistine of Gath,
Goliath by name, came up out of the ranks of the Philistines, and spoke the same words as before.
And David heard him.
All the Israelites, when they saw the man, fled from him and were very much afraid. The Israelites
said, 'Have you seen this man who has come up? Surely he has come up to defy Israel. The king
will greatly enrich the man who kills him, and will give him his daughter and make his family free
in Israel.' David said to the men who stood by him, 'What shall be done for the man who kills this
Philistine, and takes away the reproach from Israel? For who is this uncircumcised Philistine that
he should defy the armies of the living God?' The people answered him in the same way, 'So shall
it be done for the man who kills him.'
His eldest brother Eliab heard him talking to the men; and Eliab's anger was kindled against
David. He said, 'Why have you come down? With whom have you left those few sheep in the
wilderness? I know your presumption and the evil of your heart; for you have come down just to
see the battle.' David said, 'What have I done now? It was only a question.' He turned away from
him towards another and spoke in the same way; and the people answered him again as
before.
When the words that David spoke were heard, they repeated them before Saul; and he sent for
him. David said to Saul, 'Let no one's heart fail because of him; your servant will go and fight
with this Philistine.'

HYMN
Words: George R. Woodward (1848-1934), 1894
Tune: Vruechten
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t557.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t557.html

This joyful Eastertide,
away with care and sorrow!
My Love, the Crucified,
hath sprung to life this morrow.
Refrain:
Had Christ, that once was slain,
ne'er burst his three-day prison,
our faith had been in vain;
but now is Christ arisen,
arisen, arisen, arisen.

Death's flood hath lost its chill,
since Jesus crossed the river:
Lover of souls, from ill
my passing soul deliver, Refrain

My flesh in hope shall rest,
and for a season slumber,
till trump from east to west
shall wake the dead in number. Refrain

SECOND READING [Acts 5:17-26]:

Then the high priest took action; he and all who were with him (that is, the sect of the
Sadducees), being filled with jealousy, arrested the apostles and put them in the public prison. But
during the night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors, brought them out, and said, 'Go,
stand in the temple and tell the people the whole message about this life.' When they heard this,
they entered the temple at daybreak and went on with their teaching.
When the high priest and those with him arrived, they called together the council and the whole
body of the elders of Israel, and sent to the prison to have them brought. But when the temple
police went there, they did not find them in the prison; so they returned and reported, 'We found
the prison securely locked and the guards standing at the doors, but when we opened them, we
found no one inside.' Now when the captain of the temple and the chief priests heard these words,
they were perplexed about them, wondering what might be going on. Then someone arrived and
announced, 'Look, the men whom you put in prison are standing in the temple and teaching the
people!' Then the captain went with the temple police and brought them, but without violence, for
they were afraid of being stoned by the people.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
In joy and hope we pray.

That our risen Savior may fill us with the joy
of his glorious and life-giving resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That isolated and persecuted churches
may find fresh strength in the good news of Easter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may grant us humility
to be subject to one another in Christian love:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may help us to provide for those
who lack food, work or shelter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That by God's power we may bring
wars and famine to cease through all the world:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may strengthen us to be his presence
to the sick, the weak and the dying:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may send upon us the fire of the Holy Spirit,
that we may be faithful witness to his resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Almighty Father,
who gave your only Son to die for our sins
and to rise for our justification:
Give us grace so to put away
the leaven of malice and wickedness,
that we may always serve you
in pureness of living and truth;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.