OREMUS: 12 April 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Apr 11 21:18:45 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, April 12, 2007
Thursday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 17:1-23]:

Now the Philistines gathered their armies for battle; they were gathered at Socoh, which belongs
to Judah, and encamped between Socoh and Azekah, in Ephes-dammim. Saul and the Israelites
gathered and encamped in the valley of Elah, and formed ranks against the Philistines. The
Philistines stood on the mountain on one side, and Israel stood on the mountain on the other side,
with a valley between them. And there came out from the camp of the Philistines a champion
named Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span. He had a helmet of bronze on his
head, and he was armoured with a coat of mail; the weight of the coat was five thousand shekels
of bronze. He had greaves of bronze on his legs and a javelin of bronze slung between his
shoulders. The shaft of his spear was like a weaver's beam, and his spear's head weighed six
hundred shekels of iron; and his shield-bearer went before him. He stood and shouted to the ranks
of Israel, 'Why have you come out to draw up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and are you not
servants of Saul? Choose a man for yourselves, and let him come down to me. If he is able to
fight with me and kill me, then we will be your servants; but if I prevail against him and kill him,
then you shall be our servants and serve us.' And the Philistine said, 'Today I defy the ranks of
Israel! Give me a man, that we may fight together.' When Saul and all Israel heard these words of
the Philistine, they were dismayed and greatly afraid.
Now David was the son of an Ephrathite of Bethlehem in Judah, named Jesse, who had eight
sons. In the days of Saul the man was already old and advanced in years. The three eldest sons of
Jesse had followed Saul to the battle; the names of his three sons who went to the battle were
Eliab the firstborn, and next to him Abinadab, and the third Shammah. David was the youngest;
the three eldest followed Saul, but David went back and forth from Saul to feed his father's sheep
at Bethlehem. For forty days the Philistine came forward and took his stand, morning and
evening.
Jesse said to his son David, 'Take for your brothers an ephah of this parched grain and these ten
loaves, and carry them quickly to the camp to your brothers; also take these ten cheeses to the
commander of their thousand. See how your brothers fare, and bring some token from them.'
Now Saul, and they, and all the men of Israel, were in the valley of Elah, fighting with the
Philistines. David rose early in the morning, left someone in charge of the sheep, took the
provisions, and went as Jesse had commanded him. He came to the encampment as the army was
going forth to the battle line, shouting the war cry. Israel and the Philistines drew up for battle,
army against army. David left the things in charge of the keeper of the baggage, ran to the ranks,
and went and greeted his brothers. As he talked with them, the champion, the Philistine of Gath,
Goliath by name, came up out of the ranks of the Philistines, and spoke the same words as before.
And David heard him.

HYMN
Words: ascribed to Wipo, ca. 1030;
trans. The English Hymnal, 1906
Tune: Victimae paschali laudes
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c134.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c134.html

Christians, to the Paschal victim
offer your thankful praises!

A lamb the sheep redeemeth:
Christ, who only is sinless,
reconcileth sinners to the Father.

Death and life have contended
in that combat stupendous:
the Prince of life, who died,
reigns immortal.

Speak, Mary, declaring
what thou sawest, wayfaring:

"The tomb of Christ, who is living,
the glory of Jesus' resurrection;

"Bright angels attesting,
the shroud and napkin resting.

"Yea, Christ my hope is arisen;
to Galilee he will go before you."

Christ indeed from death is risen,
our new life obtaining;
have mercy, victor King, ever reigning!
Amen.

SECOND READING [Acts 5:12-16]:

Now many signs and wonders were done among the people through the apostles. And they were
all together in Solomon's Portico. None of the rest dared to join them, but the people held them in
high esteem. Yet more than ever believers were added to the Lord, great numbers of both men
and women, so that they even carried out the sick into the streets, and laid them on cots and mats,
in order that Peter's shadow might fall on some of them as he came by. A great number of people
would also gather from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing the sick and those tormented by
unclean spirits, and they were all cured.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
O Christ, in your resurrection,
the heavens and the earth rejoice:
Alleluia!

By your resurrection you broke open the gates of hell,
and destroyed sin and death.
Keep us victorious over sin.

By your resurrection you raised the dead,
and brought us from death to life.
Guide us in the way of eternal life.

By your resurrection you confounded your guards and executioners,
and filled the disciples with joy.
Give us joy in your service.

By your resurrection you proclaimed good news to the women and apostles,
and brought salvation to the whole world.
Direct our lives as your new creation.

By your resurrection you give new life to your people, the Church.
Send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

Almighty and everlasting God,
who in the Paschal mystery established
the new covenant of reconciliation:
Grant that all who have been reborn
into the fellowship of Christ's Body
 may show forth in their lives
what they profess by their faith;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press with one additional petition by Stephen
Benner.

of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.