OREMUS: 11 April 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Wed Apr 11 13:24:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Wednesday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
  he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
  he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
  he is the Holy One.
‘O mighty King, lover of justice,
    you have established equity;*
  you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.’
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
    and fall down before his footstool;*
  he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
    and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
  they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
  they kept his testimonies
    and the decree that he gave them.
‘O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
  you were a God who forgave them,
    yet punished them for their evil deeds.’
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
    and worship him upon his holy hill;*
  for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

Psalm 118
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
  his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
  ‘His mercy endures for ever.’
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
  ‘His mercy endures for ever.’
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
  ‘His mercy endures for ever.’
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
  the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
  what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
  I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
  than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
  than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
  in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
  in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
    they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
  in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
  but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
  and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
  in the tents of the righteous:
‘The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
  the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
    the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!’
I shall not die, but live,*
  and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
  but he did not hand me over to death.
Open for me the gates of righteousness;*
  I will enter them; I will offer thanks to the Lord.
‘This is the gate of the Lord;*
  whoever is righteous may enter.’
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me*
  and have become my salvation.
The same stone which the builders rejected*
  has become the chief corner-stone.
This is the Lord’s doing,*
  and it is marvellous in our eyes.
On this day the Lord has acted;*
  we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Hosanna, Lord, hosanna!*
  Lord, send us now success.
Blessèd is he who comes in the name of the Lord;*
  we bless you from the house of the Lord.
God is the Lord; he has shined upon us;*
  form a procession with branches
    up to the horns of the altar.
‘You are my God and I will thank you;*
  you are my God and I will exalt you.’
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
  his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

Psalm 147:13-end
Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
  praise your God, O Zion;
  he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
  and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
  he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
  who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 6:1-15]:

David again gathered all the chosen men of Israel, thirty thousand. David
and all the people with him set out and went from Baale-judah, to bring up
from there the ark of God, which is called by the name of the Lord of hosts
who is enthroned on the cherubim. They carried the ark of God on a new
cart, and brought it out of the house of Abinadab, which was on the hill.
Uzzah and Ahio, the sons of Abinadab, were driving the new cart with the
ark of God; and Ahio went in front of the ark. David and all the house of
Israel were dancing before the Lord with all their might, with songs and
lyres and harps and tambourines and castanets and cymbals.

When they came to the threshing-floor of Nacon, Uzzah reached out his hand
to the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen shook it. The anger of
the Lord was kindled against Uzzah; and God struck him there because he
reached out his hand to the ark; and he died there beside the ark of God.
David was angry because the Lord had burst forth with an outburst upon
Uzzah; so that place is called Perez-uzzah to this day. David was afraid of
the Lord that day; he said, 'How can the ark of the Lord come into my
care?' So David was unwilling to take the ark of the Lord into his care in
the city of David; instead David took it to the house of Obed-edom the
Gittite. The ark of the Lord remained in the house of Obed-edom the Gittite
for three months; and the Lord blessed Obed-edom and all his household.

It was told King David, 'The Lord has blessed the household of Obed-edom
and all that belongs to him, because of the ark of God.' So David went and
brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom to the city of David
with rejoicing; and when those who bore the ark of the Lord had gone six
paces, he sacrificed an ox and a fatling. David danced before the Lord with
all his might; David was girded with a linen ephod. So David and all the
house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouting, and with the
sound of the trumpet.

HYMN
Words: Symphonia Sirenum Selectarum, 1695;
trans. Francis Pott (1832-1909)
Tune: Victory

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t368.html

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
The strife is o'er, the battle done,
the victory of life is won;
the song of triumph has begun.
Alleluia!

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
The powers of death have done their worst,
but Christ their legions hath dispersed:
let shout of holy joy outburst.
Alleluia!

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
The three sad days are quickly sped,
he rises glorious from the dead:
all glory to our risen Head!
Alleluia!

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
He closed the yawning gates of hell,
the bars from heaven's high portals fell;
let hymns of praise his triumphs tell!
Alleluia!

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
Lord! by the stripes which wounded thee,
from death's dread sting thy servants free,
that we may live and sing to thee.
Alleluia!

SECOND READING [Luke 24:1-12]:

But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb,
taking the spices that they had prepared. They found the stone rolled away
from the tomb, but when they went in, they did not find the body. While
they were perplexed about this, suddenly two men in dazzling clothes stood
beside them. The women were terrified and bowed their faces to the ground,
but the men said to them, 'Why do you look for the living among the dead?
He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still
in Galilee, that the Son of Man must be handed over to sinners, and be
crucified, and on the third day rise again.' Then they remembered his
words, and returning from the tomb, they told all this to the eleven and to
all the rest. Now it was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James,
and the other women with them who told this to the apostles. But these
words seemed to them an idle tale, and they did not believe them. But Peter
got up and ran to the tomb; stooping and looking in, he saw the linen
cloths by themselves; then he went home, amazed at what had happened.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
To Christ, the Lamb who was slain,
and who now lives in the glory of the Father,
let us raise the voice of praise, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Lord Jesus, you are the Amen, the faithful witness,
the first of God's creation:
Lord, have mercy

You are Alpha and Omega,
the one who is, and was, and who is to come:
Lord, have mercy

You search into the thoughts and affections
of all people:
Lord, have mercy

You reprove and chasten
those whom you love:
Lord, have mercy

You open the eyes of the blind
and set the prisoners free:
Lord, have mercy

In your paschal victory,
you have proclaimed the coming of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy

O God,
whose blessed Son made himself known to his disciples
in the breaking of bread:
Open the eyes of our faith,
that we may behold him in all his redeeming work;
who lives and reigns with you,

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

The psalms, the intercession and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are
from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis
1992, which is used with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use of The
Episcopal Church.

The closing sentence is from Chalice Worship, © Chalice Press, 1997.
Reproduced with permission.