OREMUS: 10 April 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Apr 9 17:00:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Tuesday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.<td
colspan=2>
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.<td
colspan=2>
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

FIRST READING [Judges 4:17-23; 5:24-31a]:

Now Sisera had fled away on foot to the tent of Jael wife of Heber the Kenite; for there was
peace between King Jabin of Hazor and the clan of Heber the Kenite. Jael came out to meet
Sisera, and said to him, 'Turn aside, my lord, turn aside to me; have no fear.' So he turned aside
to her into the tent, and she covered him with a rug. Then he said to her, 'Please give me a little
water to drink; for I am thirsty.' So she opened a skin of milk and gave him a drink and covered
him. He said to her, 'Stand at the entrance of the tent, and if anybody comes and asks you, "Is
anyone here?" say, "No." ' But Jael wife of Heber took a tent-peg, and took a hammer in her
hand, and went softly to him and drove the peg into his temple, until it went down into the
ground he was lying fast asleep from weariness and he died. Then, as Barak came in pursuit of
Sisera, Jael went out to meet him, and said to him, 'Come, and I will show you the man whom
you are seeking.' So he went into her tent; and there was Sisera lying dead, with the tent-peg in
his temple.

So on that day God subdued King Jabin of Canaan before the Israelites.
'Most blessed of women be Jael,
   the wife of Heber the Kenite,
   of tent-dwelling women most blessed.
He asked water and she gave him milk,
   she brought him curds in a lordly bowl.
She put her hand to the tent-peg
   and her right hand to the workmen's mallet;
she struck Sisera a blow,
   she crushed his head,
   she shattered and pierced his temple.
He sank, he fell,
   he lay still at her feet;
at her feet he sank, he fell;
   where he sank, there he fell dead.

'Out of the window she peered,
   the mother of Sisera gazed through the lattice:
"Why is his chariot so long in coming?
   Why tarry the hoofbeats of his chariots?"
Her wisest ladies make answer,
   indeed, she answers the question herself:
"Are they not finding and dividing the spoil?
   A girl or two for every man;
spoil of dyed stuffs for Sisera,
   spoil of dyed stuffs embroidered,
   two pieces of dyed work embroidered for my neck as spoil?"

'So perish all your enemies, O Lord!
   But may your friends be like the sun as it rises in its might.'

HYMN
Words: Alan Gaunt (c)
Tune: Donne secours
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e047.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e047.html

Eternal God, your love's tremendous glory
cascades through life in overflowing grace,
to tell creation's meaning in the story
of love evolving love from time and space.

Eternal Son of God, uniquely precious,
in you, deserted, scorned, crucified,
God's love has fathomed sin and death's deep darkness,
and flawed humanity is glorified.

Eternal Spirit, with us like a mother,
embracing us in love serene and pure:
you nurture strength to follow Christ our brother,
as full-grown children, confident and sure.

Love's trinity, self-perfect, self-sustaining;
love which commands, enables, and obeys:
you give yourself, in boundless joy, creating
one vast increasing harmony of praise.

We ask you now, complete your image in us;
this love of yours, our source and guide and goal.
May love in us seek love and serve love's purpose,
till we ascend with Christ and find love whole.

SECOND READING [Revelation 12:1-12]:

A great portent appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet,
and on her head a crown of twelve stars. She was pregnant and was crying out in birth pangs, in
the agony of giving birth. Then another portent appeared in heaven: a great red dragon, with
seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his heads. His tail swept down a third of the
stars of heaven and threw them to the earth. Then the dragon stood before the woman who was
about to bear a child, so that he might devour her child as soon as it was born. And she gave birth
to a son, a male child, who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron. But her child was snatched
away and taken to God and to his throne; and the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a
place prepared by God, so that there she can be nourished for one thousand two hundred and
sixty days.

And war broke out in heaven; Michael and his angels fought against the dragon. The dragon and
his angels fought back, but they were defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in
heaven. The great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and
Satan, the deceiver of the whole world he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were
thrown down with him.

Then I heard a loud voice in heaven, proclaiming,
'Now have come the salvation and the power
   and the kingdom of our God
   and the authority of his Messiah,
for the accuser of our comrades has been thrown down,
   who accuses them day and night before our God.
But they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb
   and by the word of their testimony,
for they did not cling to life even in the face of death.
Rejoice then, you heavens
   and those who dwell in them!
But woe to the earth and the sea,
   for the devil has come down to you
with great wrath,
   because he knows that his time is short!'

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
On this day that the Lord has made, let us give God the glory
and pray for the people he has redeemed.

That we may live as those who believe
in the triumph of the cross:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That all people may receive the good news of his victory:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those born to new life in the waters of baptism
may know the power of his resurrection:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those who suffer pain and anguish may find healing and peace
in the wounds of Christ:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That in the undying love of Christ,
we may have union with all who have died:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

Let us join our voices with the saints in proclaiming
that Christ has given us the victory:

Lord,
you shared the limits of our life
to save us from the snares of death;
may we have the courage to walk before you
in the land of the living,
and witness to your presence before all the people;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

The psalms, the intercession and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.