OREMUS: 9 April 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Apr 8 17:00:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, April 9, 2007
Monday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
   at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
   and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
   and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.<td
colspan=2>
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.

Psalm 99

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
   you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
   and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
   and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
   yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Joshua 10:16-27]:

Meanwhile, these five kings fled and hid themselves in the cave at Makkedah. And it was told
Joshua, 'The five kings have been found, hidden in the cave at Makkedah.' Joshua said, 'Roll
large stones against the mouth of the cave, and set men by it to guard them; but do not stay there
yourselves; pursue your enemies, and attack them from the rear. Do not let them enter their
towns, for the Lord your God has given them into your hand.' When Joshua and the Israelites had
finished inflicting a very great slaughter on them, until they were wiped out, and when the
survivors had entered into the fortified towns, all the people returned safe to Joshua in the camp
at Makkedah; no one dared to speak against any of the Israelites.
Then Joshua said, 'Open the mouth of the cave, and bring those five kings out to me from the
cave.' They did so, and brought the five kings out to him from the cave, the king of Jerusalem, the
king of Hebron, the king of Jarmuth, the king of Lachish, and the king of Eglon. When they
brought the kings out to Joshua, Joshua summoned all the Israelites, and said to the chiefs of the
warriors who had gone with him, 'Come near, put your feet on the necks of these kings.' Then
they came near and put their feet on their necks. And Joshua said to them, 'Do not be afraid or
dismayed; be strong and courageous; for thus the Lord will do to all the enemies against whom
you fight.' Afterwards Joshua struck them down and put them to death, and he hung them on five
trees. And they hung on the trees until evening. At sunset Joshua commanded, and they took them
down from the trees and threw them into the cave where they had hidden themselves; they set
large stones against the mouth of the cave, which remain to this very day.

HYMN
Words: Archer Thompson Gurney, 1862
Tune: Resurrexit
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c071.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c071.html

Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
He hath burst his bonds in twain;
Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
Alleluia! swell the strain!
For our gain he suffered loss
by divine decree;
he hath die upon the cross,
but our God is he.
Refrain:
Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
He hath burst his bonds in twain;
Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
Alleluia! swell the strain!

See the chains of death are broken;
earth below and heaven above
joy in each amazing token
of his rising, Lord of love;
he for evermore shall reign
by the Father's side,
till he comes to earth again,
come to claim his Bride. Refrain

Glorious angels downward thronging
hail the Lord of all the skies;
heaven, with joy and holy longing
for the Word Incarnate, cries,
"Sun and stars and earth rejoice!
Christ is risen again!
All creation find a voice;
he o'er all shall reign." Refrain

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 5:6b-8]:

Do you not know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough? Clean out the old yeast so
that you may be a new batch, as you really are unleavened. For our paschal lamb, Christ, has been
sacrificed. Therefore, let us celebrate the festival, not with the old yeast, the yeast of malice and
evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
O Sun of righteousness,
you came forth from the dark night of death.
May you rise also in our hearts,
and enable us to contemplate the glories
of this sacred mystery,
that we may praise and glorify you for ever.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Prince of Life,
you take away the old leaven of malice and evil
that we may always walk with you and serve you:
Abide continually with us,
that in everything we do we may not forget the joy of your resurrection.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Paschal Lamb, offered for all,
you have taken away the sin of the world
and by rising again you have restored to us everlasting life.
Send laborers into the harvest
to proclaim the life you offer to those who believe.
We pray especially for
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Conqueror of death and captain of our salvation,
you overcame the darkness of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven for all believers.
We thank you for those saints whom you have already led
through death to life in the glory of heaven.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

Grant, we pray, Almighty God,
that we who celebrate with awe the Paschal feast
may be found worthy to attain to everlasting joys;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press with one additional petition by Stephen
Benner.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.