OREMUS: 7 April 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Apr 6 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, April 7, 2007
Holy Saturday
(for use before the Vigil)

Silent prayer

Psalm 30

I will exalt you, O Lord,
   because you have lifted me up*
 and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
 and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
 you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
 give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
 his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
 but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
   'I shall never be disturbed.*
 You, Lord, with your favour,
   made me as strong as the mountains.'
Then you hid your face,*
 and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
 I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
'What profit is there in my blood,
   if I go down to the Pit?*
 will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
'Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
 O Lord, be my helper.'
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
 you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
 O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

READING [Lamentations 5:15-21]:

The joy of our hearts has ceased;
   our dancing has been turned to mourning.
The crown has fallen from our head;
   woe to us, for we have sinned!
Because of this our hearts are sick,
   because of these things our eyes have grown dim:
because of Mount Zion, which lies desolate;
   jackals prowl over it.

But you, O Lord, reign for ever;
   your throne endures to all generations.
Why have you forgotten us completely?
   Why have you forsaken us these many days?
Restore us to yourself, O Lord, that we may be restored;
   renew our days as of old

HYMN
Words: Thomas Whytehead, 1842
Tune: Redhead
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r044.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r044.html

Resting from his work today
in the tomb the Savior lay;
still he slept, from head to feet
shrouded in the winding-sheet,
lying in the rock alone,
hidden by the sealed stone.

Late at even there was seen
watching long the Magdalene;
early, ere the break of day,
sorrowful she took her way
to the holy garden glade,
where her buried Lord was laid.

So with thee, till life shall end,
I would solemn vigil spend;
let me hew thee, Lord, a shrine
in this rocky heart of mine,
where in pure embalmed cell
none but thou may ever dwell.

Myrrh and spices will I bring,
true affection's offering;
close the door from sight and sound
of the busy world around;
and in patient watch remain
till my Lord appear again.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 4:1-16]:

Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest is still open, let us take care that none of you
should seem to have failed to reach it. For indeed the good news came to us just as to them; but
the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those
who listened. For we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,
'As in my anger I swore,
"They shall not enter my rest" ',
though his works were finished at the foundation of the world. For in one place it speaks about
the seventh day as follows: 'And God rested on the seventh day from all his works.' And again in
this place it says, 'They shall not enter my rest.' Since therefore it remains open for some to enter
it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, again
he sets a certain day 'today' saying through David much later, in the words already
quoted,
'Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts.'
For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not speak later about another day. So then, a
sabbath rest still remains for the people of God; for those who enter God's rest also cease from
their labours as God did from his. Let us therefore make every effort to enter that rest, so that no
one may fall through such disobedience as theirs.

Indeed, the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it
divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the
heart. And before him no creature is hidden, but all are naked and laid bare to the eyes of the one
to whom we must render an account.

Since, then, we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of
God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to
sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested as we are,
yet without sin. Let us therefore approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may
receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
In the midst of life we are in death;
from whom can we seek help?
>From you alone, O Lord,
who by our sins are justly angered.

Holy God, Holy and Mighty,
Holy and merciful Savior,
deliver us not into the bitterness of eternal death.

Lord, you know the secrets of our hearts;
shut not your ears to our prayers,
but spare us, O Lord.

Holy God, Holy and Mighty,
Holy and merciful Savior,
deliver us not into the bitterness of eternal death.

O worthy and eternal Judge,
do not let the pains of death
turn us away from you at our last hour.

Holy God, Holy and Mighty,
Holy and merciful Savior,
deliver us not into the bitterness of eternal death.

O God, we carry in our own bodies
the death of the Lord Jesus,
that likewise we might manifest his life:
let not our spiritual foe prevail against us,
but with the morning light
raise us up from the sleep of sin and death;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,
we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Christ Jesus humbled himself for us,
and in obedience accepted death,
even death on a cross.
Therefore God has raised him to the heights
and given him the name
which is above all other names.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The intercession is from The Book of Common Prayer According to the
Use of The Episcopal Church_.