OREMUS: 5 April 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Apr 4 20:24:59 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, April 5, 2007
Maundy Thursday

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
For he gave us a new commandment
that we should love one another as he has loved us.
Knowing that his hour had come,
in his great love he gave us the holy mysteries
of his Body and Blood,
that we, redeemed by his death
and restored to life by his resurrection,
might be partakers of his divine nature.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 55

Hear my prayer, O God;*
 do not hide yourself from my petition.
Listen to me and answer me;*
 I have no peace, because of my cares.
I am shaken by the noise of the enemy*
 and by the pressure of the wicked;
For they have cast an evil spell upon me*
 and are set against me in fury.
My heart quakes within me,*
 and the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
Fear and trembling have come over me,*
 and horror overwhelms me.
And I said, 'O that I had wings like a dove!*
 I would fly away and be at rest.
'I would flee to a far-off place*
 and make my lodging in the wilderness.
'I would hasten to escape*
 from the stormy wind and tempest.œ
Swallow them up, O Lord; confound their speech;*
 for I have seen violence and strife in the city.
Day and night the watch make their rounds upon her walls,*
 but trouble and misery are in the midst of her.
There is corruption at her heart;*
 her streets are never free of oppression and deceit.
For had it been an adversary who taunted me,
   then I could have borne it;*
 or had it been an enemy who vaunted himself against me,
   then I could have hidden from him.
But it was you, one after my own heart,*
 my companion, my own familiar friend.
We took sweet counsel together,*
 and walked with the throng in the house of God.
But I will call upon God,*
 and the Lord will deliver me.
In the evening, in the morning and at noonday
   I will complain and lament,*
 and he will hear my voice.
He will bring me safely back from the battle
   waged against me;*
 for there are many who fight me.
God, who is enthroned of old,
   will hear me and bring them down;*
 they never change; they do not fear God.
My companion stretched forth his hand against his comrade;*
 he has broken his covenant.
His speech is softer than butter,*
 but war is in his heart.
His words are smoother than oil,*
 but they are drawn swords.
Cast your burden upon the Lord and he will sustain you;*
 he will never let the righteous stumble.
For you will bring the bloodthirsty and deceitful*
 down to the pit of destruction, O God.
They shall not live out half their days,*
 but I will put my trust in you.

READING [Lamentations 3:40-51]:

Let us test and examine our ways,
   and return to the Lord.
Let us lift up our hearts as well as our hands
   to God in heaven.
We have transgressed and rebelled,
   and you have not forgiven.

You have wrapped yourself with anger and pursued us,
   killing without pity;
you have wrapped yourself with a cloud
   so that no prayer can pass through.
You have made us filth and rubbish
   among the peoples.

All our enemies
   have opened their mouths against us;
panic and pitfall have come upon us,
   devastation and destruction.
My eyes flow with rivers of tears
   because of the destruction of my people.

My eyes will flow without ceasing,
   without respite,
until the Lord from heaven
   looks down and sees.
My eyes cause me grief
   at the fate of all the young women in my city.

HYMN
Words: (c) Marnie Barrell, 1999
Tune: Kingsfold
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/mb10.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/
mb10.html

Relentless lover, God in Christ
who died to set us free,
unswerving as your love for us
may our commitment be:
to come and learn what courage means,
and take the challenge up
to walk with Christ through death to life,
to drink his bitter cup.

And when we come, may that fierce love
be tasted, touched and known,
as we who gather round the Cross
meet in Christ's death our own.
God grant we shall not fear to drink
his cup, the blood he shed,
nor let our hands, unwounded, shrink
from taking up his bread.

So let the Spirit draw us near
to find, in hope and trust,
his broken body risen here,
his life renewed in us.
Life given, life renewed again
in thousandfold increase;
he lives, and sends us out to be
his living gift of peace.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 10:14-17; 11:27-32]:

Therefore, my dear friends, flee from the worship of idols. I speak as to sensible people; judge for
yourselves what I say. The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a sharing in the blood of Christ?
The bread that we break, is it not a sharing in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we
who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.
Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be
answerable for the body and blood of the Lord. Examine yourselves, and only then eat of the
bread and drink of the cup. For all who eat and drink without discerning the body, eat and drink
judgement against themselves. For this reason many of you are weak and ill, and some have died.
But if we judged ourselves, we would not be judged. But when we are judged by the Lord, we are
disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Lord, you have declared your will
That we should faithfully keep your commandments.

You have commanded us to love one another
As you have loved us.

Lord, in your mercy
Hear our prayer.

Lord, we pray for Christians throughout the world
That we may be one.

We pray for the Roman Catholic Church and Benedict the Pope
That we may be one.

We pray for the Eastern Orthodox churches and for their Patriarchs and Archbishops
That we may be one.

We pray for the Lutheran churches around the world
That we may be one.

We pray for the Methodist churches and their clergy
That we may be one.

We pray for the Presbyterian churches and their ministers
That we may be one.

We pray for the Baptist churches and their leaders
That we may be one.

We pray for all other churches
That we may be one.

We pray for the Anglican Communion
and for Rowan, Archbishop of Canterbury
That we may be one.

We pray for the unity of all Christian people, that the world may believe
That we may be one.

Holy God,
source of all love,
on the night of his betrayal
Jesus gave his disciples a new commandment,
to love one another as he loved them:
Write this commandment in our hearts;
give us the will to serve others
as he was the servant of all,
who gave his life and died for us,
yet is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,
we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Christ Jesus humbled himself for us,
and in obedience accepted death.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from prayers in
_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The invitation to the Lord's Prayer is from _Common Worship:
 Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c)
The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The hymn is reproduced here with the kind permission of the author; if you
wish to reproduce it further, please apply for permission by sending her an
email.