OREMUS: 2 April 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Apr 1 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, April 2, 2007
Monday in Holy Week

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
By the human nature he assumed,
he gathers us all into one body;
humbled, he raises us up;
handed over to death, he sets us free.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 21

The king rejoices in your strength, O Lord;*
 how greatly he exults in your victory!
You have given him his heart's desire;*
 you have not denied him the request of his lips.
For you meet him with blessings of prosperity,*
 and set a crown of fine gold upon his head.
He asked you for life and you gave it to him;*
 length of days, for ever and ever.
His honour is great, because of your victory;*
 splendour and majesty have you bestowed upon him.
For you will give him everlasting felicity*
 and will make him glad with the joy of your presence.
For the king puts his trust in the Lord;*
 because of the loving-kindness of the Most High,
   he will not fall.
Your hand will lay hold upon all your enemies;*
 your right hand will seize all those who hate you.
You will make them like a fiery furnace*
 at the time of your appearing, O Lord;
You will swallow them up in your wrath,*
 and fire shall consume them.
You will destroy their offspring from the land*
 and their descendants
   from among the peoples of the earth.
Though they intend evil against you
   and devise wicked schemes,*
 yet they shall not prevail.
For you will put them to flight*
 and aim your arrows at them.
Be exalted, O Lord, in your might;*
 we will sing and praise your power.

Psalm 25

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
   my God, I put my trust in you;*
 let me not be humiliated,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame;*
 let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.
Show me your ways, O Lord,*
 and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,*
 for you are the God of my salvation;
   in you have I trusted all the day long.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,*
 for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth
   and my transgressions;*
 remember me according to your love
   and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
Gracious and upright is the Lord;*
 therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
He guides the humble in doing right*
 and teaches his way to the lowly.
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness*
 to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
For your name's sake, O Lord,*
 forgive my sin, for it is great.
Who are they who fear the Lord?*
 he will teach them the way that they should choose.
They shall dwell in prosperity,*
 and their offspring shall inherit the land.
The Lord is a friend to those who fear him*
 and will show them his covenant.
My eyes are ever looking to the Lord,*
 for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn to me and have pity on me,*
 for I am left alone and in misery.
The sorrows of my heart have increased;*
 bring me out of my troubles.
Look upon my adversity and misery*
 and forgive me all my sin.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many,*
 and they bear a violent hatred against me.
Protect my life and deliver me;*
 let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,*
 for my hope has been in you.
Deliver Israel, O God,*
 out of all his troubles.

FIRST READING [Lamentations 1:1-12a]:

How lonely sits the city
   that once was full of people!
How like a widow she has become,
   she that was great among the nations!
She that was a princess among the provinces
   has become a vassal.

She weeps bitterly in the night,
   with tears on her cheeks;
among all her lovers
   she has no one to comfort her;
all her friends have dealt treacherously with her,
   they have become her enemies.

Judah has gone into exile with suffering
   and hard servitude;
she lives now among the nations,
   and finds no resting-place;
her pursuers have all overtaken her
   in the midst of her distress.

The roads to Zion mourn,
   for no one comes to the festivals;
all her gates are desolate,
   her priests groan;
her young girls grieve,
   and her lot is bitter.

Her foes have become the masters,
   her enemies prosper,
because the Lord has made her suffer
   for the multitude of her transgressions;
her children have gone away,
   captives before the foe.

>From daughter Zion has departed
   all her majesty.
Her princes have become like stags
   that find no pasture;
they fled without strength
   before the pursuer.

Jerusalem remembers,
   in the days of her affliction and wandering,
all the precious things
   that were hers in days of old.
When her people fell into the hand of the foe,
   and there was no one to help her,
the foe looked on mocking
   over her downfall.

Jerusalem sinned grievously,
   so she has become a mockery;
all who honoured her despise her,
   for they have seen her nakedness;
she herself groans,
   and turns her face away.

Her uncleanness was in her skirts;
   she took no thought of her future;
her downfall was appalling,
   with none to comfort her.
'O Lord, look at my affliction,
   for the enemy has triumphed!'

Enemies have stretched out their hands
   over all her precious things;
she has even seen the nations
   invade her sanctuary,
those whom you forbade
   to enter your congregation.

All her people groan
   as they search for bread;
they trade their treasures for food
   to revive their strength.
Look, O Lord, and see
   how worthless I have become.

Is it nothing to you, all you who pass by?
   Look and see
if there is any sorrow like my sorrow?

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1875
Tune: Arfon
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t655.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t655.html

Throned upon the awful tree,
King of grief, I watch with thee;
darkness veils thine anguished face,
none its lines of woe can trace.
none can tell what pangs unknown
hold thee silent and alone.

Silent through those three dread hours,
wrestling with the evil powers,
left alone with human sin,
gloom around thee and within,
till the appointed time is nigh,
till the Lamb of God may die.

Hark, that cry that peals aloud
upward through the whelming cloud!
Thou, the Father's only Son,
thou, his own anointed One,
thou dost ask him (can it be?)
"Why hast thou forsaken me?"

Lord, should fear and anguish roll,
darkly o'er my sinful soul,
thou, who once were thus bereft
that thine own might ne'er be left,
teach me by that bitter cry
in the gloom to know thee nigh.

SECOND READING [2 Corinthians 1:1-7]:

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
To the church of God that is in Corinth, including all the saints throughout Achaia:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all
consolation, who consoles us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to console those who are
in any affliction with the consolation with which we ourselves are consoled by God. For just as
the sufferings of Christ are abundant for us, so also our consolation is abundant through Christ. If
we are being afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation; if we are being consoled, it is for
your consolation, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we
are also suffering. Our hope for you is unshaken; for we know that as you share in our sufferings,
so also you share in our consolation.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
For Christian communities everywhere,
following the way of the cross this week:
that the passion of Christ may sustain our faith
and enliven our witness to the world,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the pastors, teachers, evangelists and prophets of the church:
that the wisdom of Christ may keep them grounded in the gospel,
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all candidates for baptism,
and for the church preparing to welcome them:
that the faith of Christ may gather us together at the foot of the cross,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the nations of the world, and for the peace of Jerusalem:
that the kingdom of Christ may come with true peace
and the forgiveness of our enemies,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the endangered earth,
where human carelessness and waste threaten the environment:
that the Spirit of Christ may teach us how to care for the earth,
and revive our delight in creation,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the hungry, the homeless and the outcasts of the world:
that the love of Christ may teach us hospitality, hope,
and care for the least of our sisters and brothers,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For people whose lives are limited by sickness, grief, or fear:
that the compassion of Christ may come to them
with comfort and courage,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who bear the weight of others' troubles:
that the easy yoke of Christ may lighten their burdens
and strengthen them for service,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For people offering their lives in loving service:
that the blessing of Christ may come to them,
and their gifts be received and remembered with joy,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who deny their faith or betray their friends,
for all who repent of their sins,
and for ourselves as we turn and ask for mercy:
that the forgiveness of Christ may come with healing and love,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For people preparing to die:
that the light of Christ may shine on them
both now and in the day of resurrection,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father,
whose Son suffered denial and betrayal of trust
from those who shared his bread:
raise us up, O Lord,
and prevent us in the time of trial
from falling away from you;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,

Lead us, O God, in the way of Christ
and give us courage to take up our cross
and, in full reliance upon your grace, to follow him. Amen.

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with
permission.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner using a sentence
from a prayer in _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian
Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan Griffiths, (c) The
Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is by The Anglican Church of Australia.

The closing sentence is adapted from two sentences in a prayer from
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.