OREMUS: 1 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Sep 30 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, October 1, 2006
The Seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, O God of justice,
you hear our cry and save us.
You call us to heed your word to the prophets,
you rouse us to the demand of the gospel
and impel us to carry it out.

The heavens declare the glory of God,*
 and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,*
 and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,*
 and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,*
 and their message to the ends of the world.
In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun;*
 it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
   it rejoices like a champion to run its course.
It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
   and runs about to the end of it again;*
 nothing is hidden from its burning heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect
   and revives the soul;*
 the testimony of the Lord is sure
   and gives wisdom to the innocent.
The statutes of the Lord are just
   and rejoice the heart;*
 the commandment of the Lord is clear
   and gives light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean
   and endures for ever;*
 the judgements of the Lord are true
   and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
   more than much fine gold,*
 sweeter far than honey,
   than honey in the comb.
By them also is your servant enlightened,*
 and in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can tell how often he offends?*
 Cleanse me from my secret faults.
Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
   let them not get dominion over me;*
 then shall I be whole and sound,
   and innocent of a great offence.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,*
 O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.

Bless the Lord (Song of the Three 29-34)
Blessed are you, the God of our ancestors,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed is your holy and glorious name,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, in your holy and glorious temple,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you who look into the depths,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, enthroned on the cherubim,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you in the heights of heaven,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Esther 3:1-15]:

After these things King Ahasuerus promoted Haman son of
Hammedatha the Agagite, and advanced him and set his seat
above all the officials who were with him. And all the
king's servants who were at the king's gate bowed down
and did obeisance to Haman; for the king had so commanded
concerning him. But Mordecai did not bow down or do
obeisance. Then the king's servants who were at the
king's gate said to Mordecai, 'Why do you disobey the
king's command?' When they spoke to him day after day and
he would not listen to them, they told Haman, in order to
see whether Mordecai's words would avail; for he had told
them that he was a Jew. When Haman saw that Mordecai did
not bow down or do obeisance to him, Haman was
infuriated. But he thought it beneath him to lay hands on
Mordecai alone. So, having been told who Mordecai's
people were, Haman plotted to destroy all the Jews, the
people of Mordecai, throughout the whole kingdom of
Ahasuerus.
In the first month, which is the month of Nisan, in the
twelfth year of King Ahasuerus, they cast Pur which means
'the lot' before Haman for the day and for the month, and
the lot fell on the thirteenth day of the twelfth month,
which is the month of Adar. Then Haman said to King
Ahasuerus, 'There is a certain people scattered and
separated among the peoples in all the provinces of your
kingdom; their laws are different from those of every
other people, and they do not keep the king's laws, so
that it is not appropriate for the king to tolerate them.
If it pleases the king, let a decree be issued for their
destruction, and I will pay ten thousand talents of
silver into the hands of those who have charge of the
king's business, so that they may put it into the king's
treasuries.' So the king took his signet ring from his
hand and gave it to Haman son of Hammedatha the Agagite,
the enemy of the Jews. The king said to Haman, 'The money
is given to you, and the people as well, to do with them
as it seems good to you.'
Then the king's secretaries were summoned on the
thirteenth day of the first month, and an edict,
according to all that Haman commanded, was written to the
king's satraps and to the governors over all the
provinces and to the officials of all the peoples, to
every province in its own script and every people in its
own language; it was written in the name of King
Ahasuerus and sealed with the king's ring. Letters were
sent by couriers to all the king's provinces, giving
orders to destroy, to kill, and to annihilate all Jews,
young and old, women and children, in one day, the
thirteenth day of the twelfth month, which is the month
of Adar, and to plunder their goods. A copy of the
document was to be issued as a decree in every province
by proclamation, calling on all the peoples to be ready
for that day. The couriers went quickly by order of the
king, and the decree was issued in the citadel of Susa.
The king and Haman sat down to drink; but the city of
Susa was thrown into confusion.

HYMN
Words: John Marriott, 1813
Tune: Moscow

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t640.html

Thou, whose almighty word
chaos and darkness heard,
and took their flight;
hear us, we humbly pray,
and, where the Gospel day
sheds not its glorious ray,
let there be light!

Thou who didst come to bring
on thy redeeming wing
healing and sight,
heal to the sick in mind,
sight to the in-ly blind,
now to all humankind,
let there be light!

Spirit of truth and love,
life-giving holy Dove,
speed forth thy flight!
Move on the waters' face
bearing the gifts of grace,
and, in earth's darkest place,
let there be light!

Holy and blessŠd Three,
glorious Trinity,
Wisdom, Love, Might;
boundless as ocean's tide,
rolling in fullest pride,
through the world far and wide,
let there be light!

SECOND READING [Matthew 5:13-20]:

Jesus said, 'You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its
saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything, but is thrown out and trampled
under foot.
'You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hidden. No one after
lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light
to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may
see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.
'Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to
abolish but to fulfil. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one
letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.
Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches
others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does
them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you,
unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never
enter the kingdom of heaven.'

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Grant, O merciful God,
that your Church, being gathered by your Holy Spirit into one,
may show forth your power among all peoples,
to the glory of your name;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.