OREMUS: 27 September 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Sep 26 22:34:46 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, September 27, 2006

you protect the poor and defend the just;
in your kingdom, the last becomes first,
the gentle are strong,
and the lowly are exalted.

I love you, O Lord my strength,*
 O Lord my stronghold, my crag and my haven.
My God, my rock in whom I put my trust,*
 my shield, the horn of my salvation and my refuge;
   you are worthy of praise.
I will call upon the Lord,*
 and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
The breakers of death rolled over me,*
 and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid.
The cords of hell entangled me,*
 and the snares of death were set for me.
I called upon the Lord in my distress*
 and cried out to my God for help.
He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling;*
 my cry of anguish came to his ears.
The earth reeled and rocked;*
 the roots of the mountains shook;
   they reeled because of his anger.
Smoke rose from his nostrils
   and a consuming fire out of his mouth;*
 hot burning coals blazed forth from him.
He parted the heavens and came down*
 with a storm cloud under his feet.
He mounted on cherubim and flew;*
 he swooped on the wings of the wind.
He wrapped darkness about him;*
 he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion.
>From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds,*
 burst hailstones and coals of fire.
The Lord thundered out of heaven;*
 the Most High uttered his voice.
He loosed his arrows and scattered them;*
 he hurled thunderbolts and routed them.
The beds of the seas were uncovered,
   and the foundations of the world laid bare,*
 at your battle cry, O Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
He reached down from on high and grasped me;*
 he drew me out of great waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemies
   and from those who hated me;*
 for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster;*
 but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into an open place;*
 he rescued me because he delighted in me.
The Lord rewarded me because of my righteous dealing;*
 because my hands were clean he rewarded me;
For I have kept the ways of the Lord*
 and have not offended against my God;
For all his judgements are before my eyes,*
 and his decrees I have not put away from me;
For I have been blameless with him*
 and have kept myself from iniquity;
Therefore the Lord rewarded me
   according to my righteous dealing,*
 because of the cleanness of my hands in his sight.
With the faithful you show yourself faithful, O God;*
 with the forthright you show yourself forthright.
With the pure you show yourself pure,*
 but with the crooked you are wily.
You will save a lowly people,*
 but you will humble the haughty eyes.
You, O Lord, are my lamp;*
 my God, you make my darkness bright.
With you I will break down an enclosure;*
 with the help of my God I will scale any wall.
As for God, his ways are perfect;
   the words of the Lord are tried in the fire;*
 he is a shield to all who trust in him.
For who is God, but the Lord?*
 who is the rock, except our God?

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;

Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,

As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.

For Zion's sake, I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,

Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.

The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;

Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.

You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 5:1-10]:

Guard your steps when you go to the house of God; to draw
near to listen is better than the sacrifice offered by
fools; for they do not know how to keep from doing evil.
Never be rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be
quick to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven,
and you upon earth; therefore let your words be few.
For dreams come with many cares, and a fool's voice with
many words.
When you make a vow to God, do not delay fulfilling it;
for he has no pleasure in fools. Fulfil what you vow. It
is better that you should not vow than that you should
vow and not fulfil it. Do not let your mouth lead you
into sin, and do not say before the messenger that it was
a mistake; why should God be angry at your words, and
destroy the work of your hands?
With many dreams come vanities and a multitude of words;
but fear God.
If you see in a province the oppression of the poor and
the violation of justice and right, do not be amazed at
the matter; for the high official is watched by a higher,
and there are yet higher ones over them. But all things
considered, this is an advantage for a land: a king for a
ploughed field.
The lover of money will not be satisfied with money; nor
the lover of wealth, with gain. This also is vanity.

HYMN
Words: Maltbie D. Babcock, 1901
Tune: Terra Beata

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t538.html

This is my Father's world,
and to my listening ears
all nature sings and round me rings
the music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world:
I rest me in the thought
of rocks and trees, of skies and seas,
his hands the wonders wrought.

This is my Father's world,
the birds their carols raise,
the morning light, the lily white,
declare their Maker's praise.
This is my Father's world:
he shines in all that's fair;
in the rustling grass I hear him pass;
he speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father's world,
O let me ne'er forget
that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father's world:
the battle is not done,
Jesus, who died, shall be satisfied,
and earth and heaven be one.

SECOND READING [John 8:21-38]:

Jesus said to them, 'I am going away, and you will search for me, but you will die in
your sin. Where I am going, you cannot come.' Then the Jews said, 'Is he going to kill
himself? Is that what he means by saying, "Where I am going, you cannot come"?' He
said to them, 'You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not
of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins, for you will die in your sins
unless you believe that I am he.' They said to him, 'Who are you?' Jesus said to them,
'Why do I speak to you at all? I have much to say about you and much to condemn;
but the one who sent me is true, and I declare to the world what I have heard from
him.' They did not understand that he was speaking to them about the Father. So Jesus
said, 'When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I am he, and
that I do nothing on my own, but I speak these things as the Father instructed me. And
the one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what is
pleasing to him.' As he was saying these things, many believed in him.
Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, 'If you continue in my word, you
are truly my disciples; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.'
They answered him, 'We are descendants of Abraham and have never been slaves to
anyone. What do you mean by saying, "You will be made free"?'
Jesus answered them, 'Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to
sin. The slave does not have a permanent place in the household; the son has a place
there for ever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. I know that you
are descendants of Abraham; yet you look for an opportunity to kill me, because there
is no place in you for my word. I declare what I have seen in the Father's presence; as
for you, you should do what you have heard from the Father.'

Give us your peace, O God, that we may rejoice in your
goodness to us and to all your children, and be thankful
for your love revealed in Jesus Christ.
Especially we thank you for
     people who reveal your truth and righteousness...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     courage to be bold disciples...
     those who show hospitality...
     surprises that have blessed us...
     the unity of the church of Jesus Christ...

Give us your peace, O God, that we may be confident of
your care for us and all your children, as we remember
the needs of others. Especially we pray for
     friends and relatives who are far away...
                              (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     neighbors in special need...
     those who suffer hunger and thirst...
     those who work at night while others sleep...
     Episcopal and Methodist churches...

Spirit of God, come as the wind to move us forward;
come as the dover to launch us heavenward;
comes as the water to purify our spirits;
come as the cloud to abate our temptations;
comes as the dew to fresh our languor;
come as the fire to purge our dross. Amen.

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.