OREMUS: 26 September 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Sep 25 20:48:53 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Wilson Carlile, Founder of the Church Army, 1942

you protect the poor and defend the just;
in your kingdom, the last becomes first,
the gentle are strong,
and the lowly are exalted.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 4:9-16]:

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward
for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up the
other; but woe to one who is alone and falls and does not
have another to help. Again, if two lie together, they
keep warm; but how can one keep warm alone? And though
one might prevail against another, two will withstand
one. A threefold cord is not quickly broken.
Better is a poor but wise youth than an old but foolish
king, who will no longer take advice. One can indeed come
out of prison to reign, even though born poor in the
kingdom. I saw all the living who, moving about under the
sun, follow that youth who replaced the king; there was
no end to all those people whom he led. Yet those who
come later will not rejoice in him. Surely this also is
vanity and a chasing after wind.

HYMN
Words: Christopher Wordsworth, 1872
Tune: Quam dilecta
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l240.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l
240.html

Lord, be thy word my rule;
in it may I rejoice;
thy glory be my aim,
thy holy will my choice;

Thy promises my hope;
thy providence my guard;
thine arm my strong support;
thyself my great reward.

SECOND READING [James 5:1-6]:

Come now, you rich people, weep and wail for the miseries that are coming to you.
Your riches have rotted, and your clothes are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have
rusted, and their rust will be evidence against you, and it will eat your flesh like fire.
You have laid up treasure for the last days. Listen! The wages of the labourers who
mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out, and the cries of the
harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. You have lived on the earth in
luxury and in pleasure; you have fattened your hearts on a day of slaughter. You have
condemned and murdered the righteous one, who does not resist you.

Generous God, we thank you for being with us today, and
for every sign of your truth and love in Jesus Christ.
Especially we thank you for
     the gift of peace in Christ...
                   (We thank you, Lord.)
     reconciliation in our relationships...
     each new insight into your love...
     energy and courage to share your love...
     the ministries of the church...

Gracious God, we remember in our own hearts the needs of
others, that we may reach up to claim your love for them,
and reach out to give your love in the name of Christ.
Especially we pray for
     racial harmony and justice...
                   (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those imprisoned...
     strangers we have met today...
     friends who are bereaved...
     Orthodox and Coptic churches...

Care for us, O Christ, with your tenderness;
cloth us with your humility;
guide us with your gentleness;
rule us with your wisdom;
and exalt us with your love;
for your mercy's sake. Amen.
[Mechtild of Magdeburg]

Almighty God,
by whose grace Wilson Carlile, kindled with the fire of your love,
became a burning and a shining light in the Church:
inflame us with the same spirit of discipline and love,
that we may ever walk before you as children of light;

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

The first collect is by Mechtild of Magdeburg.

Wilson Carlile was born in 1847 in Brixton. He suffered from a spinal
weakness all his life, which hampered his education. He entered his
grandfather's business at the age of thirteen but soon moved on and learned
French fluently, which he used to good advantage in France trading in silk. He
later learned German and Italian to enhance his business but was ruined in the
slump of 1873. After a serious illness, he began to treat his religion more
seriously and became confirmed in the Church of England. He acted as organist
to Ira D Sankey during the Moody and Sankey missions and, in 1881, was
ordained priest, serving his curacy at St Mary Abbots in Kensington, together
with a dozen other curates. The lack of contact between the Church and the
working classes was a cause of real concern to him and he began outdoor
preaching. In 1882, he resigned his curacy and founded the Church Army, four
years after the founding of the Salvation Army. Under his influence it thrived
and he continued to take part in its administration until a few weeks before his
death on this day in 1942. [Exciting Holiness]