OREMUS: 25 September 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Sep 24 19:02:19 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, September 25, 2006
Lancelot Andrewes, Bishop of Winchester, Spiritual Writer, 1626

you protect the poor and defend the just;
in your kingdom, the last becomes first,
the gentle are strong,
and the lowly are exalted.

Why are the nations in an uproar?*
 Why do the peoples mutter empty threats?
Why do the kings of the earth rise up in revolt
   and the princes plot together,*
 against the Lord and against his anointed?
'Let us break their yoke', they say;*
 'let us cast off their bonds from us.'
He whose throne is in heaven is laughing;*
 the Lord has them in derision.
Then he speaks to them in his wrath*
 and his rage fills them with terror.
'I myself have set my king*
 upon my holy hill of Zion.'
Let me announce the decree of the Lord:*
 he said to me, 'You are my Son;
   this day have I begotten you.
'Ask of me and I will give you the nations for
   your inheritance*
 and the ends of the earth for your possession.
'You shall crush them with an iron rod*
 and shatter them like a piece of pottery.'
And now, you kings, be wise;*
 be warned, you rulers of the earth.
Submit to the Lord with fear,*
 and with trembling bow before him;
Lest he be angry and you perish;*
 for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Happy are they all*
 who take refuge in him!

Psalm 6

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
 heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
 how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
 and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
 every night I drench my bed
   and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
 and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
 for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
 the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded and quake with fear;*
 they shall turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Proverbs 27:1-27]:

Do not boast about tomorrow,
   for you do not know what a day may bring.
Let another praise you, and not your own mouth
   a stranger, and not your own lips.
A stone is heavy, and sand is weighty,
   but a fool's provocation is heavier than both.
Wrath is cruel, anger is overwhelming,
   but who is able to stand before jealousy?
Better is open rebuke
   than hidden love.
Well meant are the wounds a friend inflicts,
   but profuse are the kisses of an enemy.
The sated appetite spurns honey,
   but to a ravenous appetite even the bitter is sweet.
Like a bird that strays from its nest
   is one who strays from home.
Perfume and incense make the heart glad,
   but the soul is torn by trouble.
Do not forsake your friend or the friend of your parent;
   do not go to the house of your kindred on the day of your calamity.
Better is a neighbour who is nearby
   than kindred who are far away.
Be wise, my child, and make my heart glad,
   so that I may answer whoever reproaches me.
The clever see danger and hide;
   but the simple go on, and suffer for it.
Take the garment of one who has given surety for a stranger;
   seize the pledge given as surety for foreigners.
Whoever blesses a neighbour with a loud voice,
   rising early in the morning,
   will be counted as cursing.
A continual dripping on a rainy day
   and a contentious wife are alike;
to restrain her is to restrain the wind
   or to grasp oil in the right hand.
Iron sharpens iron,
   and one person sharpens the wits of another.
Anyone who tends a fig tree will eat its fruit,
   and anyone who takes care of a master will be honoured.
Just as water reflects the face,
   so one human heart reflects another.
Sheol and Abaddon are never satisfied,
   and human eyes are never satisfied.
The crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold,
   so a person is tested by being praised.
Crush a fool in a mortar with a pestle
   along with crushed grain,
   but the folly will not be driven out.

Know well the condition of your flocks,
   and give attention to your herds;
for riches do not last for ever,
   nor a crown for all generations.
When the grass is gone, and new growth appears,
   and the herbage of the mountains is gathered,
the lambs will provide your clothing,
   and the goats the price of a field;
there will be enough goats' milk for your food,
   for the food of your household
   and nourishment for your servant-girls.

HYMN
Words: Latin, eighteenth century; trans. Edward Caswall, 1849
Tune: St. Bernard

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a191.html

All ye who seek for sure relief
in trouble and distress,
whatever sorrow vex the mind,
or guilt the soul oppress.

Jesus, who gave himself for you
upon the Cross to die,
opens to you his sacred heart;
O to that heart draw nigh.

Ye hear how kindly he invites;
ye hear his words so blessed;
"All ye that labor come to me,
and I will give you rest."

O Jesus, joy of saints on high,
thou hope of sinners here,
attracted by those loving words
to thee we lift our prayer.

Wash thou our wounds in that dear blood
which from thy heart doth flow;
a new and contrite heart on all
who cry to thee bestow.

SECOND READING [James 4:8-17]:

Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and
purify your hearts, you double-minded. Lament and mourn and weep. Let your
laughter be turned into mourning and your joy into dejection. Humble yourselves
before the Lord, and he will exalt you.
Do not speak evil against one another, brothers and sisters. Whoever speaks evil
against another or judges another, speaks evil against the law and judges the law; but if
you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is one lawgiver
and judge who is able to save and to destroy. So who, then, are you to judge your
neighbour?
Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a town
and spend a year there, doing business and making money.' Yet you do not even know
what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little
while and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wishes, we will live and
do this or that.' As it is, you boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil. Anyone,
then, who knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, commits sin.

Blessed art Thou, 0 Lord,
Our God, the God of our Fathers;
Who turnest the shadow of death into the morning;
and lightenest the face of the earth;
Who separatest darkness from the face of the light ;
and banishest night and bringest back the day;
Who lightenest mine eyes,
that I sleep not in death;
Who deliverest me from the terror by night,
from the pestilence that walketh in darkness;
Who drivest sleep from mine eyes,
and slumber from mine eyelids;
Who makest the outgoings of the morning
and evening to praise Thee;
because I laid me down and slept and rose up again,
for the Lord sustained me; because I waked and beheld,
and my sleep was sweet unto me.
Blot out as a thick cloud my transgressions,
and as a cloud my sins;
grant me to be a child of light, a child of the day,
to walk soberly, holily, honestly, as in the day,
vouchsafe to keep me this day without sin.
Thou who upholdest the falling and liftest the fallen,
let me not harden my heart in provocation,
  or temptation or deceitfulness of any sin.
Moreover, deliver me to-day
from the snare of the hunter
and from the noisome pestilence;
from the arrow that flieth by day,
          from the sickness that destroyeth in the noon day.
Defend this day against my evil,
against the evil of this day defend Thou me.
Let not my days be .spent in vanity,
nor my years in sorrow.
One day teileth another,
and one night certifierh another.
0 let me hear Thy loving-kindness betimes
in the morning,
for in Thee is my trust;
shew Thou me the way that I should walk in,
for I lift up my soul unto Thee.
Deliver me, 0 Lord, from mine enemies,
for I flee unto Thee.
Teach me to do the thing that pleaseth Thee, for Thou art my God:
let Thy loving Spirit 1ead me forth into the land of righteousness.
Quicken me, 0 Lord, for Thy Name's sake,
and for Thy righteousness' sake bring my soul out of trouble:
remove from me foolish imaginations,
inspire those which are good and pleasing in Thy sight.
Turn awav mine eyes lest they behold vanitv :
let mine eyes look right on,
and let mine eyelids look straight before me.
Hedge up mine ears with thorns
lest they incline to undisciplined words.
Give me early the ear to hear,
and open mine ears to the instruction of Thy oracles.
Set a watch, 0 Lord, before my mouth,
and keep the door of my lips.
Let my word be seasoned with salt,
that it may minister grace to the hearers.
Let no deed be grief unto me nor offence of heart.
Let me do some work
for which Thou wilt remember me, Lord,
for good,
and spare me according to the greatness
of Thv mercy.
Into Thine hands I commend mv spirit, soul, and body,
which Thou hast created, redeemed,
regenerated,
0 Lord, Thou God of truth:
and together with me
all mine and all that belongs to me.
Thou hast vouchsafed them to me,
Lord, in Thy goodness.
Guard us from all evil,
guard our souls,
I beseech Thee, 0 Lord.
Guard us without falling,
and place us immaculate
in the presence of Thy glory
in that day.
Guard my going out and my coming in
henceforth and for ever.
Prosper, I pray Thee, Thy servant this day, and grant him mercy
in the sight of those who meet him.
0 God, make speed to save me,
0 Lord, make haste to help me. 0 turn Thee then unto me,
and have mercy upon me;
give Thy strength unto Thy servant,
and help the son of Thine handmaid.
Show some token upon me for good,
that they who hate me may see it and be ashamed,
because Thou, Lord, hast holpen me
and comforted me. Amen.

Lord God,
who gave to Lancelot Andrewes many gifts of your Holy Spirit,
making him a man of prayer and a pastor of your people:
perfect in us that which is lacking in your gifts,
of faith, to increase it,
of hope, to establish it,
of love, to kindle it,
that we may live in the light of your grace and glory;

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is a commendation by Lancelot Andrewes.

Lancelot Andrewes (1555-1626), Bishop of Winchester, was on the committee
of scholars that produced the King James Translation of the Bible, and
probably contributed more to that work than any other single person. It is
accordingly no surprise to find him not only a devout writer but a learned and
eloquent one, a master of English prose, and learned in Latin, Greek, Hebrew
and eighteen other languages. His sermons were popular in his own day, but
are perhaps too academic for most modern readers. He prepared for his own
use a manuscript notebook of Private Prayers, which was published after his
death. The material was apparently intended, not to be read aloud, but to serve
as a guide and stimulus to devout meditation.
What follows is a brief extract from the section for Thursday Morning. The
reader will note that he commemorates three events associated with Thursday:
(1) the creation of air and water animals (mostly birds and fish) on the Fifth
Day of Creation as described in Genesis 1; (2) the institution of the Sacrament
of the Lord's supper by Our Lord Jesus Christ on the evening before He was
crucified (Matthew 26); and (3) the Ascension of Our Lord into heaven forty
days after His resurrection (Acts 1). [James Kiefer]
COMMEMORATION
      Blessed art Thou, O Lord
      who didst bring forth of water
      moving creatures that have life,
      and whales,
      and winged fowls:
      and didst bless them,
      so as to increase and multiply.

      The things concerning the Ascension:
      Set up Thyself, O God, above the heavens
      and Thy glory above all the earth.
      By thine Ascension
      draw us withal unto Thee, O Lord,
      so as to set our affections on things above,
      and not on things on the earth.

      By the awful mystery of Thy Holy Body and Precious
      Blood in the evening of this day:
      Lord, have mercy.

      FAITH

      Coming unto God,
      I believe that He is,
      and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him:
      I know that my Redeemer liveth;
      that He is the Christ the Son of the Living God;
      that He is indeed the Saviour of the world;
      that He came into the world to save sinners,
      of whom I am chief.
      Through the grace of Jesus Christ
      we believe that we shall be saved
      even as our fathers withal.
      I believe verily to see the goodness of the Lord
      in the land of the living.

      THANKSGIVING

      O my Lord, my Lord, I thank Thee
      for that I am,
          that I am alive,
          that I am rational:
      for nurture,
          preservation,
          governance:
      for education,
          citizenship,
          religion:
      for Thy gifts of grace,
                       nature,
                       estate:
      for redemption,
          regeneration,
          instruction:
      for calling,
          recalling,
          further calling manifold:
      for forbearance,
          longsuffering,
          long longsuffering towards me,
                   many times,
                   many years,
                                until now:
      for all good offices I have received,
              good speed I have gotten:
      for any good thing done:
          for the use of things present,
              thy promise
              and my hope
                  touching the fruition of the good things to come:
      for my parents honest and good,
             teachers gentle,
             benefactors always to be had in remembrance,
             colleagues likeminded,
             hearers attentive,
             friends sincere,
             retainers faithful:
      for all who have stood me in good stead
          by their writings,
             their sermons,
                   conversations,
                   prayers,
                   examples,
                   rebukes,
                   wrongs:
      for these things and all other,
         which I wot of, which I wot not of,
         open and secret,
         things I remember, things I have forgotten withal,
         things done to me after my will or yet against my will,
      I confess to Thee and bless Thee and give thanks unto Thee,
      and I will confess and bless and give thanks to Thee
      all the days of my life.
      What thanks can I render to God again
      for all the benefits that He hath done unto me?

               HOLY, HOLY, HOLY
      Thou are worthy, O Lord and our God, the Holy One,
        to receive the glory and the honour and the power:
          for Thou hast created all things,
            and for Thy pleasure they are and were created.