OREMUS: 24 September 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Sep 23 19:21:47 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, September 24, 2006
The Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost

you protect the poor and defend the just;
in your kingdom, the last becomes first,
the gentle are strong,
and the lowly are exalted.

Save me, O God, by your name;*
 in your might, defend my cause.
Hear my prayer, O God;*
 give ear to the words of my mouth.
For the arrogant have risen up against me,
   and the ruthless have sought my life,*
 those who have no regard for God.
Behold, God is my helper;*
 it is the Lord who sustains my life.
Render evil to those who spy on me;*
 in your faithfulness, destroy them.
I will offer you a freewill sacrifice*
 and praise your name, O Lord, for it is good.
For you have rescued me from every trouble,*
 and my eye has seen the ruin of my foes.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;

In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.

For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.

He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.

In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 11:18-20]:

It was the Lord who made it known to me, and I knew;
   then you showed me their evil deeds.
But I was like a gentle lamb
   led to the slaughter.
And I did not know it was against me
   that they devised schemes, saying,
'Let us destroy the tree with its fruit,
   let us cut him off from the land of the living,
   so that his name will no longer be remembered!'
But you, O Lord of hosts, who judge righteously,
   who try the heart and the mind,
let me see your retribution upon them,
   for to you I have committed my cause.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1740
Tune: Azmon, Richmond (Haweis), Oxford New , Stracathro

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o138.html

O for a thousand tongues to sing
my dear Redeemer's praise,
the glories of my God and King,
the triumphs of his grace!

My gracious Master and my God,
assist me to proclaim
and spread through all the earth abroad
the honors of thy Name.

Jesus! the Name that charms our fears
and bids our sorrows cease;
'tis music in the sinner's ears,
'tis life and health and peace.

He speaks, and listening to his voice,
new life the dead receive;
the mournful broken hearts rejoice,
the humble poor believe.

Hear him, ye deaf; his praise, ye dumb,
your loosened tongues employ;
ye blind, behold, your Savior come;
and leap, ye lame, for joy!

Glory to God and praise and love
be now and ever given
by saints below and saints above
the Church in earth and heaven.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 2:1-5]:

When I came to you, brothers and sisters, I did not come proclaiming the mystery of
God to you in lofty words or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you
except Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I came to you in weakness and in fear and
in much trembling. My speech and my proclamation were not with plausible words of
wisdom, but with a demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might
rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God.

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Grant us, Lord,
not to be anxious about earthly things,
but to love things heavenly;
and even now, while we are placed among things
that are passing away,
to hold fast to those that shall endure;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.