OREMUS: 23 September 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Sep 22 21:47:57 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, September 23, 2006

Blessed are you, Shepherding God,
undaunted you seek the lost,
exultant you bring home the found.
You touch our hearts with grateful wonder
at the tenderness of your forbearing love,
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ.

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

A Song of Pilgrimage (from Ecclesiasticus 51)

While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.

Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.

>From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.

My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.

I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.

I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her,
I will give glory.

I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.

With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.

My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God's praise.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 1:1-18]:

The words of the Teacher, the son of David, king in
Jerusalem.
Vanity of vanities, says the Teacher,
   vanity of vanities! All is vanity.
What do people gain from all the toil
   at which they toil under the sun?
A generation goes, and a generation comes,
   but the earth remains for ever.
The sun rises and the sun goes down,
   and hurries to the place where it rises.
The wind blows to the south,
   and goes round to the north;
round and round goes the wind,
   and on its circuits the wind returns.
All streams run to the sea,
   but the sea is not full;
to the place where the streams flow,
   there they continue to flow.
All things are wearisome;
   more than one can express;
the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
   or the ear filled with hearing.
What has been is what will be,
   and what has been done is what will be done;
   there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it is said,
   'See, this is new'?
It has already been,
   in the ages before us.
The people of long ago are not remembered,
   nor will there be any remembrance
of people yet to come
   by those who come after them.

I, the Teacher, when king over Israel in Jerusalem,
applied my mind to seek and to search out by wisdom all
that is done under heaven; it is an unhappy business that
God has given to human beings to be busy with. I saw all
the deeds that are done under the sun; and see, all is
vanity and a chasing after wind.
What is crooked cannot be made straight,
   and what is lacking cannot be counted.

I said to myself, 'I have acquired great wisdom,
surpassing all who were over Jerusalem before me; and my
mind has had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.'
And I applied my mind to know wisdom and to know madness
and folly. I perceived that this also is but a chasing
after wind.
For in much wisdom is much vexation,
and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Williams, 1842
Tune: St. Philip, Heiliger Geist (Berlin)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l316.html

Lord, in this thy mercy's day,
ere for us it pass away,
on our knees we fall and pray.

Holy Jesus, grant us tears,
fill us with heart-searching fears,
ere that awful doom appears.

Lord, on us thy Spirit pour,
kneeling lowly at thy door,
ere it close forevermore.

By thy night of agony,
by thy supplicating cry,
by thy willingness to die,

By thy tears of bitter woe,
for Jerusalem below,
let us not thy peace forego.

Judge and Savior of our race,
when we thee see thy face,
grant us 'neath thy wings a place.

SECOND READING [Matthew 23:29-39]:

Jesus said, 'Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of
the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous, and you say, "If we had lived in
the days of our ancestors, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the
blood of the prophets." Thus you testify against yourselves that you are descendants of
those who murdered the prophets. Fill up, then, the measure of your ancestors. You
snakes, you brood of vipers! How can you escape being sentenced to hell? Therefore I
send you prophets, sages, and scribes, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and
some you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town, so that upon
you may come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel
to the blood of Zechariah son of Barachiah, whom you murdered between the
sanctuary and the altar. Truly I tell you, all this will come upon this generation.
'Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to
it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her
brood under her wings, and you were not willing! See, your house is left to you,
desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, "Blessed is the one
who comes in the name of the Lord." '

Make your ways known upon earth, Lord God,
your saving power among all peoples.

Renew your Church in holiness,
and help us to serve you with joy.

Guide the leaders of this and every nation,
that justice may prevail throughout the world.

Let not the needy be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Make us instruments of your peace
and let your glory be over all the earth.

Be merciful, O Father of all mercies, to your Church universal,
dispersed throughout the whole world,
and grant that all they that confess
your holy Name may agree in the truthof your holy Word,
and live in godly concord and unity.
And especially be merciful to those under persecution
for the testimony of their conscience,
and profession of the Gospel of your Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ.
Amen.

Grant us delight in the mercy that has found us
and bring all to rejoice at the feast of forgiveness. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.