OREMUS: 19 September 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Sep 18 22:43:57 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, September 19, 2006
Theodore of Tarsus, Archbishop of Canterbury, 690

Blessed are you, Shepherding God,
undaunted you seek the lost,
exultant you bring home the found.
You touch our hearts with grateful wonder
at the tenderness of your forbearing love,
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ.

Psalm 36 [CCP]

There is a voice of rebellion deep in the heart of the wicked;*
 there is no fear of God before their eyes.
They flatter themselves in their own eyes*
 that their hateful sin will not be found out.
The words of their mouths are wicked and deceitful;*
 they have left off acting wisely and doing good.
They think up wickedness upon their beds
   and have set themselves in no good way;*
 they do not abhor that which is evil.
Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens,*
 and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the strong mountains,
   your justice like the great deep;*
 you save both human and beast, O Lord.
How priceless is your love, O God!*
 your people take refuge under the shadow of your wings.
They feast upon the abundance of your house;*
 you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the well of life,*
 and in your light we see light.
Continue your loving-kindness to those who know you,*
 and your favour to those who are true of heart.
Let not the foot of the proud come near me,*
 nor the hand of the wicked push me aside.
See how they are fallen, those who work wickedness!*
 they are cast down and shall not be able to rise.

A Song of the Lamb (from Revelation 19)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
 whose judgements are true and just.

Praise our God, all you his servants,
 all who fear him, both small and great.

The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns:
 let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.

The marriage of the Lamb has come
 and his bride has made herself ready.

Blessed are those who are invited
 to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

FIRST READING [Proverbs 25:1-28]:

These are other proverbs of Solomon that the officials of
King Hezekiah of Judah copied.

It is the glory of God to conceal things,
   but the glory of kings is to search things out.
Like the heavens for height, like the earth for
depth,
   so the mind of kings is unsearchable.
Take away the dross from the silver,
   and the smith has material for a vessel;
take away the wicked from the presence of the king,
   and his throne will be established in
righteousness.
Do not put yourself forward in the king's presence
   or stand in the place of the great;
for it is better to be told, 'Come up here',
   than to be put lower in the presence of a noble.

What your eyes have seen
   do not hastily bring into court;
for what will you do in the end,
   when your neighbour puts you to shame?
Argue your case with your neighbour directly,
   and do not disclose another's secret;
or else someone who hears you will bring shame upon
you,
   and your ill repute will have no end.

A word fitly spoken
   is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.
Like a gold ring or an ornament of gold
   is a wise rebuke to a listening ear.
Like the cold of snow in the time of harvest
   are faithful messengers to those who send them;
   they refresh the spirit of their masters.
Like clouds and wind without rain
   is one who boasts of a gift never given.
With patience a ruler may be persuaded,
   and a soft tongue can break bones.
If you have found honey, eat only enough for you,
   or else, having too much, you will vomit it.
Let your foot be seldom in your neighbour's house,
   otherwise the neighbour will become weary of you and
hate you.
Like a war club, a sword, or a sharp arrow
   is one who bears false witness against a
neighbour.
Like a bad tooth or a lame foot
   is trust in a faithless person in time of trouble.
Like vinegar on a wound
   is one who sings songs to a heavy heart.
Like a moth in clothing or a worm in wood,
   sorrow gnaws at the human heart.
If your enemies are hungry, give them bread to eat;
   and if they are thirsty, give them water to drink;
for you will heap coals of fire on their heads,
   and the Lord will reward you.
The north wind produces rain,
   and a backbiting tongue, angry looks.
It is better to live in a corner of the housetop
   than in a house shared with a contentious wife.
Like cold water to a thirsty soul,
   so is good news from a far country.
Like a muddied spring or a polluted fountain
   are the righteous who give way before the wicked.
It is not good to eat much honey,
   or to seek honour on top of honour.
Like a city breached, without walls,
   is one who lacks self-control.

HYMN
Words: John Henry Newman, 1865
Tune: Shipston, Halton Holgate

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f164.html

Firmly I believe and truly
God is Three, and God is One;
and I next acknowledge duly
manhood taken by the Son.

And I trust and hope most fully
in that Manhood crucified;
and each thought and deed unruly
do to death, as he has died.

Simply to his grace and wholly
light and life and strength belong,
and I love supremely, solely,
him the holy, him the strong.

And I hold in veneration,
for the love of him alone,
holy Church as his creation,
and her teachings are his own.

Adoration aye be given,
with and through the angelic host,
to the God of earth and heaven,
Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

SECOND READING [Colossians 3:1-11]:

So if you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is,
seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things
that are on earth, for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When
Christ who is your life is revealed, then you also will be revealed with him in glory.
Put to death, therefore, whatever in you is earthly: fornication, impurity, passion, evil
desire, and greed (which is idolatry). On account of these the wrath of God is coming
on those who are disobedient. These are the ways you also once followed, when you
were living that life. But now you must get rid of all such things anger, wrath,
malice, slander, and abusive language from your mouth. Do not lie to one another,
seeing that you have stripped off the old self with its practices and have clothed
yourselves with the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge according to the
image of its creator. In that renewal there is no longer Greek and Jew, circumcised and
uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and free; but Christ is all and in all!

Let us pray for our own needs and for the needs of others,
following the pattern which Jesus gave
when he taught us to pray to God our Father.

Through our love of the countryside,
through our care for animals,
through our respect for property and tools,
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.

On our farms and in our homes,
in our colleges and schools,
where machinery is made, and where policy is planned,
Father, your kingdom come.

By our seeking your guidance,
by our keeping your commandments,
by our living true to our consciences,
Father, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

For the millions who live in poverty and hunger,
for our own needs, and the requirements of our neighbours,
by co-operation, sympathy, and generosity,
Give us today our daily bread.

Because we have broken your commandments,
doing what we ought not to do,
and neglecting what we ought to do,
Forgive us our sins.

If any have injured us by injustice, double dealing or exploitation,
We forgive those who sin against us.

When prosperity lulls us to false security,
or adversity prompts us to despair,
when success makes us boastful,
or failure makes us bitter,
Save us from the time of trial, and deliver us from evil.

In the assurance of faith,
in the confidence of hope,
in the will to serve,
help us to love Christ as Lord,
and our neighbour as ourselves.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours now and for ever. Amen.

Lord,
grant us faith, the mother of love,
and love, the mother of peace,
and peace, the mother of blessedness,
now and for ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
you called your servant Theodore of Tarsus
from Rome to the see of Canterbury,
and gave him gifts of grace and wisdom
to establish unity where there had been division,
and order where there had been chaos:
Create in your Church,
by the operation of your Holy Spirit,
such godly union and concord
that it may proclaim, both by word and example,
the Gospel of the Prince of Peace;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Grant us delight in the mercy that has found us
and bring all to rejoice at the feast of forgiveness. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

When the pagan Anglo-Saxons invaded England, they drove the native Celtic
inhabitants north into Scotland and west into Ireland, Wales, and Cornwall.
The Anglo-Saxons were subsequently converted to Christianity by Celtic
missionaries from the north and west, and Roman and Gallic missionaries from
the south and east. As a result, they ended up with two different "flavors" of
Christianity. The difference was expressed mainly in the form of a
disagreement about the proper method for calculating the date of Easter, a
disagreement which we may suspect was a stand-in for other disagreements a
little more difficult to articulate. In 663, a council was called to settle the
dispute, the Synod of Whitby. It decided in favor of the Roman or continental
way of doing things.
Soon after, the Archbishop of Canterbury died, and the English elected a
successor, Wighard, and sent him to Rome to be consecrated by the Pope.
Wighard died in Rome before he could be consecrated, and the Pope (Vitalian)
took it upon himself to choose a man to fill the vacancy. He consecrated
Theodore of Tarsus (the native city of the Apostle Paul), a learned monk (not a
priest) from the East then living in Rome, 65 years old. This surprising choice
turned out to be a very good one. Theodore was (as Bede put it in his
Ecclesiastical History) "the first archbishop whom all the English obeyed."
Having made a tour of his charge, Theodore filled the vacant bishoprics and in
672 presided over the first council of the entire English Churh, at Hertford. He
established definite territorial boundaries for the various dioceses, and founded
new dioceses where needed. He found the Church of England an unorganized
missionary body, and left it a fully ordered province of the universal Church.
The body of canon law drawn up under his supervision, and his structure of
dioceses and parishes, survived the turmoil of the sixteenth and seventeenth
centuries and are substantially intact today.
He founded a school at Canterbury that trained Christians from both the Celtic
and the Roman traditions, and did much to unite the two groups. The school
was headed by Adrian, an abbot born in Africa but later resident in Italy, who
had been the Pope's first choice for Archbishop, but who had refused and
recommended Theodore instead. Adrian was learned in the Scriptures, a good
administrator, and fluent in Latin and Greek. The school taught Bible, theology
and sacred studies, Latin and Greek (Bede alleges that some of the students
knew these languages as well as they knew English), poetry, astronomy, and
calendar calculation (of some importance for political reasons, as stated
above). Adrian died 9 January 710. Theodore died 19 September 690, being 88
years old. [James Kiefer]