OREMUS: 17 September 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Sep 16 20:30:32 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, September 17, 2006
The Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Shepherding God,
undaunted you seek the lost,
exultant you bring home the found.
You touch our hearts with grateful wonder
at the tenderness of your forbearing love,
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ.

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
   but to your name give glory;*
 because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
 'Where then is their God?'
Our God is in heaven;*
 whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
   feet, but they cannot walk;*
 they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
 he will bless the house of Israel;
   he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
 both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
 you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord's,*
 but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
 nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
   Alleluia!

Benedicite: A Song of Creation

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you heavens:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all people on earth:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

O people of God bless the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you priests of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
 bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart;

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Exodus 18:13-26]:

The next day Moses sat as judge for the people, while the
people stood around him from morning until evening. When
Moses' father-in-law saw all that he was doing for the
people, he said, 'What is this that you are doing for the
people? Why do you sit alone, while all the people stand
around you from morning until evening?' Moses said to his
father-in-law, 'Because the people come to me to inquire
of God. When they have a dispute, they come to me and I
decide between one person and another, and I make known
to them the statutes and instructions of God.' Moses"
father-in-law said to him, 'What you are doing is not
good. You will surely wear yourself out, both you and
these people with you. For the task is too heavy for you;
you cannot do it alone. Now listen to me. I will give you
counsel, and God be with you! You should represent the
people before God, and you should bring their cases
before God; teach them the statutes and instructions and
make known to them the way they are to go and the things
they are to do. You should also look for able men among
all the people, men who fear God, are trustworthy, and
hate dishonest gain; set such men over them as officers
over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens. Let them sit
as judges for the people at all times; let them bring
every important case to you, but decide every minor case
themselves. So it will be easier for you, and they will
bear the burden with you. If you do this, and God so
commands you, then you will be able to endure, and all
these people will go to their home in peace.'
So Moses listened to his father-in-law and did all that
he had said. Moses chose able men from all Israel and
appointed them as heads over the people, as officers over
thousands, hundreds, fifties, and tens. And they judged
the people at all times; hard cases they brought to
Moses, but any minor case they decided themselves.

HYMN
Words: Thomas Benson Pollock (1836-1896), 1868
Tune: Pastor pastorum

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f011.html

Faithful Shepherd, feed me
in the pastures green;
Faithful Shepherd, lead me
where thy steps are seen.

Hold me fast, and guide me
in the narrow way;
so, with thee beside me,
I shall never stray.

Daily bring me nearer
to the heavenly shore;
may thy love grow dearer,
may I love thee more.

Hallow every pleasure,
sanctify my pain;
be thyself my treasure,
though none else I gain.

Give me joy or sadness,
this be all my care,
that eternal gladness
I with thee may share.

Day by day prepare me
as thou seest best,
then let angels bear me
to thy promised rest.

SECOND READING [Matthew 7:1-14]:

Jesus said, 'Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. For with the judgement you
make you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why
do you see the speck in your neighbour's eye, but do not notice the log in your own
eye? Or how can you say to your neighbour, "Let me take the speck out of your eye",
while the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own
eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbour's eye.
'Do not give what is holy to dogs; and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they
will trample them under foot and turn and maul you.
'Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be
opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds,
and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Is there anyone among you
who, if your child asks for bread, will give a stone? Or if the child asks for a fish, will
give a snake? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children,
how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask
him!
'In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and
the prophets.
'Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road is easy that leads to
destruction, and there are many who take it. For the gate is narrow and the road is
hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it.'

God sent Jesus into the world,
not to condemn the world,
but that the world through him might be saved,
that all who believe in him
might be delivered from the power of sin and death
and become heirs with him of eternal life.

Almighty God,
kindle, we pray, in every heart
the true love of peace,
and guide with your wisdom
those who take counsel for the nations of the earth,
especially George Bush, the President of the United States,
that justice and peace may increase,
until the earth is filled
with the knowledge of your love;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of compassion,
you watch our ways,
and weave out of terrible happenings
wonders of goodness and grace.
Surround those who have been shaken by tragedy
with a sense of your present love,
and hold them in faith.
Though they are lost in grief,
may they find you and be comforted;
through Jesus Christ who was dead, but lives
and rules this world with you. Amen.

Eternal God, our only hope,
our help in times of trouble:
show nations ways to work out differences.
Do not let threats multiply
or power be used without compassion.
May your will overrule human willfulness,
so that people may agree and settle claims peacefully.
Restrain those who are impulsive,
lest desire for vengeance overwhelm our common welfare.
Bring peace to earth, through Jesus Christ,
the Prince of Peace and Savior of us all. Amen.

We give you thanks, O God,
for all who have fought the good fight,
finished their race, and kept the faith,
and for those dear to us and to others
who are at rest with you. . . .

Grant us grace to follow them
as they followed Christ.
Bring us, with them, to those things
which no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
which you have prepared for those who love you.
To your name,
with the church on earth and church in heaven,
we ascribe all honor and glory,
forever and ever. Amen.

Grant that wars may cease,
suffering be healed,
hunger be satisfied,
and justice be established,
as we look forward to the day
when wars and suffering,
hunger and injustice,
shall be no more,
and your reign be established,
through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Grant us delight in the mercy that has found us
and bring all to rejoice at the feast of forgiveness. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.