OREMUS: 16 September 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Sep 15 22:36:34 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, September 16, 2006
Edward Bouverie Pusey, Priest, Tractarian, 1882

Blessed are you, God of the ages,
you call the Church to keep watch in the world
and to discern the signs of the times.
You call us to proclaim your prophetic word with courage
and with the wisdom bestowed by the Spirit,
that the work you have set before us may be completed.

O Lord, I am not proud;*
 I have no haughty looks.
I do not occupy myself with great matters,*
 or with things that are too hard for me.
But I still my soul and make it quiet,
   like a child upon its mother's breast;*
 my soul is quieted within me.
O Israel, wait upon the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Proverbs 21:1-17]:

The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the
Lord;
   he turns it wherever he will.
All deeds are right in the sight of the doer,
   but the Lord weighs the heart.
To do righteousness and justice
   is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.
Haughty eyes and a proud heart
   the lamp of the wicked are sin.
The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance,
   but everyone who is hasty comes only to want.
The getting of treasures by a lying tongue
   is a fleeting vapour and a snare of death.
The violence of the wicked will sweep them away,
   because they refuse to do what is just.
The way of the guilty is crooked,
   but the conduct of the pure is right.
It is better to live in a corner of the housetop
   than in a house shared with a contentious wife.
The souls of the wicked desire evil;
   their neighbours find no mercy in their eyes.
When a scoffer is punished, the simple become wiser;
   when the wise are instructed, they increase in
knowledge.
The Righteous One observes the house of the wicked;
   he casts the wicked down to ruin.
If you close your ear to the cry of the poor,
   you will cry out and not be heard.
A gift in secret averts anger;
   and a concealed bribe in the bosom, strong wrath.
When justice is done, it is a joy to the righteous,
   but dismay to evildoers.
Whoever wanders from the way of understanding
   will rest in the assembly of the dead.
Whoever loves pleasure will suffer want;
   whoever loves wine and oil will not be rich.

HYMN
Words:   Marnie Barrell, 1989
Tune: St. Catherine's Court
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/mb13.html">http://www.oremus.org/hy
mnal/barrell/mb13.html

Come to the celebration, all who are hungry,
the best wine is ready, and the loaves of bread;
here he comes, the bridegroom, to welcome the people,
to share out the food and see that all are fed.

Who is invited to the house of the bridegroom,
to live while the dead are left to bury the dead?
Beggars from the roadside, amazed at the asking,
are called to the table where the feast is spread.

What kind of party is this wedding reception?
The first are the last and yet the last are first.
Royal guests of honour are standing and waiting
until all the servants satisfy their thirst.

When shall we come along to share in the feasting?
The day is today, the doors are open wide.
Endless the rejoicing at this celebration -
the Lord is the bridegroom, and his Church the bride.

Come empty-handed when you come to the table;
the drink flows forever, there is ample food.
Taste the wine of heaven and never be thirsty,
and see, as we break the bread, that God is good!

SECOND READING [Matthew 21:23-32]:

When he entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to him
as he was teaching, and said, 'By what authority are you doing these things, and who
gave you this authority?' Jesus said to them, 'I will also ask you one question; if you
tell me the answer, then I will also tell you by what authority I do these things. Did the
baptism of John come from heaven, or was it of human origin?' And they argued with
one another, 'If we say, "From heaven", he will say to us, "Why then did you not
believe him?" But if we say, "Of human origin", we are afraid of the crowd; for all
regard John as a prophet.' So they answered Jesus, 'We do not know.' And he said to
them, 'Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.
'What do you think? A man had two sons; he went to the first and said, "Son, go and
work in the vineyard today." He answered, "I will not"; but later he changed his mind
and went. The father went to the second and said the same; and he answered, "I go,
sir"; but he did not go. Which of the two did the will of his father?' They said, 'The
first.' Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax-collectors and the prostitutes are
going into the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you in the way of
righteousness and you did not believe him, but the tax-collectors and the prostitutes
believed him; and even after you saw it, you did not change your minds and believe
him.

God of the Covenant,
we are your people through your grace in baptism.

Added one by one to your Church,
you bind us together in repentance and true profession of faith:
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Accustomed to preserving our selfish autonomy,
you call us to a life of mutual oversight and shared mission.
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Teach us to see each other as sisters and brothers
who share a common birth and a family table:
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Show us ways to support one another
that our faith is increased, our hope confirmed
and our love perfected.
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Offer through your Church hospitality
to those seeking Christ and hope.
We pray especially for the Diocese of
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Your kingdom come, O Lord,
with deliverance for the needy,
with peace for the righteous,
with overflowing blessing for all nations,
with glory, honour and praise
   for the only Saviour,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant, O God, that in all time of our testing
we may know your presence and obey your will;
that, following the example
of your servant Edward Bouverie Pusey,
we may with integrity and courage accomplish
what you give us to do,
and endure what you give us to bear;

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from a prayer in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer, 2001.

Edward Bouverie Pusey (1800--16 September 1882) was competent in
Hebrew, Arabic, and Aramaic, and was Regius Professor of Hebrew at Oxford,
and a canon of Christ Church Cathedral in Oxford, from 1828 until his death.
He wrote two of the Oxford Tracts (on Fasting and on Baptism), and preached
a sermon on the Eucharist that got him suspended from university preaching
for two years. This episode gained publicity for the Tractarian Movement, and
greatly increased the sales of the Tracts. In 1845 he helped to found a convent
in London, the first Anglican convent since the 1500's. His best-known books
defend the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and the inerrancy of
Scripture (see his Daniel The Prophet, and The Minor Prophets). In the great
cholera epidemic of 1866, he did outstanding work in caring for the sick. Two
years after his death, his friends and admirers established Pusey House at
Oxford, a library and study center. [James Kiefer]