OREMUS: 10 September 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Sep 9 18:22:19 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, September 10, 2006
The Fourteenth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, God of the ages,
you call the Church to keep watch in the world
and to discern the signs of the times.
You call us to proclaim your prophetic word with courage
and with the wisdom bestowed by the Spirit,
that the work you have set before us may be completed.

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Exodus 14:5-31]:

When the king of Egypt was told that the people had fled,
the minds of Pharaoh and his officials were changed
towards the people, and they said, 'What have we done,
letting Israel leave our service?' So he had his chariot
made ready, and took his army with him; he took six
hundred picked chariots and all the other chariots of
Egypt with officers over all of them. The Lord hardened
the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt and he pursued the
Israelites, who were going out boldly. The Egyptians
pursued them, all Pharaoh's horses and chariots, his
chariot drivers and his army; they overtook them camped
by the sea, by Pi-hahiroth, in front of Baal-zephon.
As Pharaoh drew near, the Israelites looked back, and
there were the Egyptians advancing on them. In great fear
the Israelites cried out to the Lord. They said to Moses,
'Was it because there were no graves in Egypt that you
have taken us away to die in the wilderness? What have
you done to us, bringing us out of Egypt? Is this not the
very thing we told you in Egypt, "Let us alone and let us
serve the Egyptians"? For it would have been better for
us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the wilderness.'
But Moses said to the people, 'Do not be afraid, stand
firm, and see the deliverance that the Lord will
accomplish for you today; for the Egyptians whom you see
today you shall never see again. The Lord will fight for
you, and you have only to keep still.'
Then the Lord said to Moses, 'Why do you cry out to me?
Tell the Israelites to go forward. But you lift up your
staff, and stretch out your hand over the sea and divide
it, that the Israelites may go into the sea on dry
ground. Then I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians so
that they will go in after them; and so I will gain glory
for myself over Pharaoh and all his army, his chariots,
and his chariot drivers. And the Egyptians shall know
that I am the Lord, when I have gained glory for myself
over Pharaoh, his chariots, and his chariot drivers.'
The angel of God who was going before the Israelite army
moved and went behind them; and the pillar of cloud moved
from in front of them and took its place behind them. It
came between the army of Egypt and the army of Israel.
And so the cloud was there with the darkness, and it lit
up the night; one did not come near the other all night.

Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea. The Lord
drove the sea back by a strong east wind all night, and
turned the sea into dry land; and the waters were
divided. The Israelites went into the sea on dry ground,
the waters forming a wall for them on their right and on
their left. The Egyptians pursued, and went into the sea
after them, all of Pharaoh's horses, chariots, and
chariot drivers. At the morning watch the Lord in the
pillar of fire and cloud looked down upon the Egyptian
army, and threw the Egyptian army into panic. He clogged
their chariot wheels so that they turned with difficulty.
The Egyptians said, 'Let us flee from the Israelites, for
the Lord is fighting for them against Egypt.'
Then the Lord said to Moses, 'Stretch out your hand over
the sea, so that the water may come back upon the
Egyptians, upon their chariots and chariot drivers.' So
Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and at dawn
the sea returned to its normal depth. As the Egyptians
fled before it, the Lord tossed the Egyptians into the
sea. The waters returned and covered the chariots and the
chariot drivers, the entire army of Pharaoh that had
followed them into the sea; not one of them remained. But
the Israelites walked on dry ground through the sea, the
waters forming a wall for them on their right and on
their left.
Thus the Lord saved Israel that day from the Egyptians;
and Israel saw the Egyptians dead on the seashore. Israel
saw the great work that the Lord did against the
Egyptians. So the people feared the Lord and believed in
the Lord and in his servant Moses.

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery, 1819
Tune: St. Hugh, Windsor, Bangor, First Mode Melody, Walsall

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l442.html

Lord, teach us how to pray aright,
with reverence and with fear;
though dust and ashes in thy sight,
we may, we must draw near.

We perish if we cease from prayer,
O grant us power to pray!
And when to meet thee we prepare,
Lord, meet us by the way.

God of all grace, we bring to thee
a broken, contrite heart;
give, what thine eye delights ot see,
truth in the inward part.

Faith in the only sacrifice
that can for sin atone;
to build our hopes, to fix our eyes,
on Christ, on Christ alone;

Patience to watch and wait and weep,
though mercy long delay;
courage our fainting souls to keep,
and trust thee though thou slay.

Give these, and then thy will be done;
thus strengthened with all might,
we through thy Spirit and thy Son,
shall pray, and pray aright.

SECOND READING [Matthew 6:1-18]:

Jesus said, 'Beware of practising your piety before others in order to be seen by them;
for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven.

'So whenever you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do
in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be praised by others. Truly I tell
you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left
hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your alms may be done in secret; and
your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

'And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray
in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I
tell you, they have received their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room
and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees
in secret will reward you.

'When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they
think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for
your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

'Pray then in this way:
Our Father in heaven,
   hallowed be your name.
   Your kingdom come.
   Your will be done,
     on earth as it is in heaven.
   Give us this day our daily bread.
   And forgive us our debts,
     as we also have forgiven our debtors.
   And do not bring us to the time of trial,
     but rescue us from the evil one.
For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you;
but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

'And whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure
their faces so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have
received their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so
that your fasting may be seen not by others but by your Father who is in secret; and
your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

God of of the broken-hearted
the streets of your kingdom
are flooded with our tears,
for we have no other place
to offer them.

Bearer of pain
you heard the wailing of Rachel,
the loud laments in Ramah;
hear the cries of
our sisters and brothers in New Orleans,
whose babies have no milk,
whose parents have no oxygen,
whose lives have no future.

Repairer of streets
comfort those who see houses
slipping into the sea;
who watch bodies floating by;
who look for rescue in their distress.

Builder of communities
give those who have experienced
terror and loss
a vision of recovery and peace;
give those who have lost everything
a future filled with hope;
give those who wander lost and afraid,
a people who will embrace them
and give them life. Amen.

O God,
you know us to be set in the midst
of so many and so great dangers
that by reason of the frailty of our nature
we cannot always stand upright:
Grant to us such strength and protection
as may support us in all dangers
and carry us through all temptations;

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from a prayer in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is (c) Thom M. Shuman, 2005. Used with permission.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

 The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer, 2001.