OREMUS: 9 September 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Sep 8 20:14:56 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, September 9, 2006
Charles Fuge Lowder, Priest, 1880

Blessed are you, Almighty God, Father of all mercies,
we give you thanks for all your goodness and loving-kindness
to us and to all whom you have made.
We bless you for our creation, preservation,
and all the blessings of this life;
but above all for your immeasurable love
in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ;
for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory.

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

A Song of God's Love (1 John 4:7-11,12b)
Beloved, let us love one another,
for love is of God;
everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

Whoever does not love does not know God,
for God is love.

In this the love of God was revealed among us,
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through him.

In this is love,
not that we loved God but that he loved us,
and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins.

Beloved, since God loved us so much,
we ought also to love one another.

For if we love one another, God abides in us,
and God's love will be perfected in us.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Proverbs 8:1-31]:

Does not wisdom call,
   and does not understanding raise her voice?
On the heights, beside the way,
   at the crossroads she takes her stand;
beside the gates in front of the town,
   at the entrance of the portals she cries out:
'To you, O people, I call,
   and my cry is to all that live.
O simple ones, learn prudence;
   acquire intelligence, you who lack it.
Hear, for I will speak noble things,
   and from my lips will come what is right;
for my mouth will utter truth;
   wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
All the words of my mouth are righteous;
   there is nothing twisted or crooked in them.
They are all straight to one who understands
   and right to those who find knowledge.
Take my instruction instead of silver,
   and knowledge rather than choice gold;
for wisdom is better than jewels,
   and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.

I, wisdom, live with prudence,
   and I attain knowledge and discretion.
The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil.
Pride and arrogance and the way of evil
   and perverted speech I hate.
I have good advice and sound wisdom;
   I have insight, I have strength.
By me kings reign,
   and rulers decree what is just;
by me rulers rule,
   and nobles, all who govern rightly.
I love those who love me,
   and those who seek me diligently find me.
Riches and honour are with me,
   enduring wealth and prosperity.
My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold,
   and my yield than choice silver.
I walk in the way of righteousness,
   along the paths of justice,
endowing with wealth those who love me,
   and filling their treasuries.
The Lord created me at the beginning of his work,
   the first of his acts of long ago.
Ages ago I was set up,
   at the first, before the beginning of the earth.
When there were no depths I was brought forth,
   when there were no springs abounding with water.
Before the mountains had been shaped,
   before the hills, I was brought forth
when he had not yet made earth and fields,
   or the world's first bits of soil.
When he established the heavens, I was there,
   when he drew a circle on the face of the deep,
when he made firm the skies above,
   when he established the fountains of the deep,
when he assigned to the sea its limit,
   so that the waters might not transgress his
command,
when he marked out the foundations of the earth,
   then I was beside him, like a master worker;
and I was daily his delight,
   rejoicing before him always,
rejoicing in his inhabited world
   and delighting in the human race.

HYMN
Words: Sydney Carter
Tune: Lord of the Dance

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i037.html

I danced in the morning
when the world was begun,
and I danced in the moon
and the stars and the sun,
and I came down from heaven
and I danced on the earth,
at Bethlehem
I had my birth.
Refrain:
Dance, then, wherever you may be,
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he,
and I'll lead you all, wherever you may be,
and I'll lead you all in the Dance, said he.

I danced for the scribe
and the pharisee,
but they would not dance
and they wouldn't follow me.
I danced for the fishermen,
for James and John -
they came with me
and the dance went on. Refrain

I danced on the Sabbath
and I cured the lame;
the holy people
said it was a shame.
they whipped and they stripped
and they hung me on high,
and they left me there
on a Cross to die. Refrain

I danced on a Friday
when the sky turned black;
it's hard to dance
with the devil on your back.
They buried my body
and they thought I'd gone,
but I am the Dance,
and I still go on. Refrain

They cut me down
and I leapt up high;
I am the life
that'll never, never die;
I'll live in you
if you'll live in me -
I am the Lord
of the Dance, said he. Refrain

SECOND READING [Matthew 15:21-31]:

Jesus left that place and went away to the district of Tyre and Sidon. Just then a
Canaanite woman from that region came out and started shouting, 'Have mercy on
me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is tormented by a demon.' But he did not
answer her at all. And his disciples came and urged him, saying, 'Send her away, for
she keeps shouting after us.' He answered, 'I was sent only to the lost sheep of the
house of Israel.' But she came and knelt before him, saying, 'Lord, help me.' He
answered, 'It is not fair to take the children's food and throw it to the dogs.' She said,
'Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table.' Then
Jesus answered her, 'Woman, great is your faith! Let it be done for you as you wish.'
And her daughter was healed instantly.
After Jesus had left that place, he passed along the Sea of Galilee, and he went up the
mountain, where he sat down. Great crowds came to him, bringing with them the
lame, the maimed, the blind, the mute, and many others. They put them at his feet, and
he cured them, so that the crowd was amazed when they saw the mute speaking, the
maimed whole, the lame walking, and the blind seeing. And they praised the God of
Israel.

Blessed are you, eternal God,
to be praised and glorified for ever.

Hear us as we pray for your holy Catholic Church:
make us all one, that the world may believe.

Grant that every member of the Church
may truly and humbly serve you:
that the life of Christ may be revealed in us.

Strengthen all who minister in Christ's name:
give them courage to proclaim your Gospel.

Inspire and lead those who hold authority
in the nations of the world:
guide them in the ways of justice and peace.

Make us alive to the needs of our community:
help us to share each other's joys and burdens.

Look with kindness on our homes and families:
grant that your love may grow in our hearts.

Deepen our compassion for all who suffer
from sickness, grief or trouble:
in your presence may they find their strength.

We remember those who have died:
may they rest in your peace.

We praise you for all your saints
who have entered your eternal glory:
bring us all to share in your heavenly kingdom.

Guide and govern your holy Church, O Lord,
that it may walk warily in times of quiet
and boldly in times of trouble;
through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. Amen.

Almighty Father,
you have built up your Church
through the love and devotion of your saints:
Inspire us to follow the example of Charles Fuge Lowder,
whom we commemorate today,
that we in our generation may rejoice with him
in the vision of your glory;

Be a bright flame before us, O God,
and a guiding star above us.
Be a smooth path below us
and a kindly shepherd behind us,
today, tomorrow, and always. Amen.

Hymn (c) 1963 by Stainer & Bell Ltd.
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188).
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses sentences from prayers in The Book of
Common Prayer According to the Use of The Episcopal Church_.

The first collect is from a 13th century Franciscan breviary and the closing sentence is by St
Columba.

Charles Lowder was born in 1820 and came under the influence of the Oxford
Movement during his studies at Exeter College in the early 1840s. After
ordination, he became increasingly drawn to a Tractarian and ritualist
expression of the faith, especially after his move to London in 1851, despite the
fierce opposition such Catholic spirituality faced within the Church. As a curate
in Pimlico and Stepney, and then as the first Vicar of St Peter's, London
Docks, Lowder came to epitomise the nineteenth-century Anglo-Catholic 'slum
priest'. Dedicated to the poor and destitute, he was tireless in his parish work.
His health gave way and he died at the age of sixty on this day in 1880.