OREMUS: 7 September 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Sep 6 23:34:53 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, September 7, 2006

Blessed are you, Almighty God, Father of all mercies,
we give you thanks for all your goodness and loving-kindness
to us and to all whom you have made.
We bless you for our creation, preservation,
and all the blessings of this life;
but above all for your immeasurable love
in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ;
for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory.

Sing with joy to God our strength*
 and raise a loud shout to the God of Jacob.
Raise a song and sound the timbrel,*
 the merry harp and the lyre.
Blow the ram's-horn at the new moon,*
 and at the full moon, the day of our feast.
For this is a statute for Israel,*
 a law of the God of Jacob.
He laid it as a solemn charge upon Joseph,*
 when he came out of the land of Egypt.
I heard an unfamiliar voice saying,*
 'I eased his shoulder from the burden;
   his hands were set free from bearing the load.'
You called on me in trouble and I saved you;*
 I answered you from the secret place of thunder
   and tested you at the waters of Meribah.
Hear, O my people, and I will admonish you:*
 O Israel, if you would but listen to me!
There shall be no strange god among you;*
 you shall not worship a foreign god.
I am the Lord your God,
   who brought you out of the land of Egypt and said,*
 'Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.'
And yet my people did not hear my voice,*
 and Israel would not obey me.
So I gave them over to the stubbornness
   of their hearts,*
 to follow their own devices.
O that my people would listen to me!*
 that Israel would walk in my ways!
I should soon subdue their enemies*
 and turn my hand against their foes.
Those who hate the Lord would cringe before him,*
 and their punishment would last for ever.
But Israel would I feed with the finest wheat*
 and satisfy him with honey from the rock.

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15:3-4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds,
Lord God the Almighty.

Just and true are your ways,
O ruler of the nations.

Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord?
for you alone are holy.

All nations shall come and worship in your presence:
for your just dealings have been revealed.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Proverbs 1:1-19]:

The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:

For learning about wisdom and instruction,
   for understanding words of insight,
for gaining instruction in wise dealing,
   righteousness, justice, and equity;
to teach shrewdness to the simple,
   knowledge and prudence to the young
let the wise also hear and gain in learning,
   and the discerning acquire skill,
to understand a proverb and a figure,
   the words of the wise and their riddles.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
   fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Hear, my child, your father's instruction,
   and do not reject your mother's teaching;
for they are a fair garland for your head,
   and pendants for your neck.
My child, if sinners entice you,
   do not consent.
If they say, 'Come with us, let us lie in wait for blood;
   let us wantonly ambush the innocent;
like Sheol let us swallow them alive
   and whole, like those who go down to the Pit.
We shall find all kinds of costly things;
   we shall fill our houses with booty.
Throw in your lot among us;
   we will all have one purse'
my child, do not walk in their way,
   keep your foot from their paths;
for their feet run to evil,
   and they hurry to shed blood.
For in vain is the net baited
   while the bird is looking on;
yet they lie in wait to kill themselves!
   and set an ambush for their own lives!
Such is the end of all who are greedy for gain;
   it takes away the life of its possessors.

HYMN
Words: Frederick William Faber, 1849
Tune: Westminster, Windsor

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/m/m114.html

My God, how wonderful thou art,
thy majesty how bright,
how beautiful thy mercy seat,
in depths of burning light!

How dread are thine eternal years,
O everlasting Lord,
by prostrate spirits day and night
incessantly adored!

How wonderful, how beautiful,
the sight of thee must be,
thine endless wisdom, boundless power,
and aweful purity!

O how I fear thee, living God,
with deepest, tenderest fears,
and worship thee with trembling hope
and penitential tears!

Yet I may love thee too, O Lord,
almighty as thou art,
for thou hast stooped to ask of me
the love of my poor heart.

Father of Jesus, love's reward,
what rapture it will be,
prostrate before thy throne to lie,
and gaze and gaze on thee!

SECOND READING [Romans 2:1-11]:

Therefore you have no excuse, whoever you are, when you judge others; for in passing
judgement on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, are doing the
very same things. You say, 'We know that God's judgement on those who do such
things is in accordance with truth.' Do you imagine, whoever you are, that when you
judge those who do such things and yet do them yourself, you will escape the
judgement of God? Or do you despise the riches of his kindness and forbearance and
patience? Do you not realize that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?
But by your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day
of wrath, when God's righteous judgement will be revealed. For he will repay
according to each one's deeds: to those who by patiently doing good seek for glory
and honour and immortality, he will give eternal life; while for those who are
self-seeking and who obey not the truth but wickedness, there will be wrath and fury.
There will be anguish and distress for everyone who does evil, the Jew first and also
the Greek, but glory and honour and peace for everyone who does good, the Jew first
and also the Greek. For God shows no partiality.

Almighty and gracious God,
we bless you for your mercy in Christ
and your nearness by the Word and the Spirit.

Hear us as we embrace in the circle of love:

the life and witness of your Church,
Generous God, hear us.

the world and its longing,
especially for peace in Iraq, Afghanistan,
Israel, Lebanon and Palestine and wherever conflict persists.
Generous God, hear us.

the cares of our own lives,
Generous God, hear us.

and those particular concerns your Spirit awakens in us,
Generous God, hear us.

Lord Jesus,
I give you my hands to do your work.
I give you my feet to walk in your way.
I give you my tongue to speak your word,
and I give you my heart
that through me
you may love the Father
and every human soul,
today and always. Amen.

Be a bright flame before us, O God,
and a guiding star above us.
Be a smooth path below us
and a kindly shepherd behind us,
today, tomorrow, and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses sentences from prayers in The Book of
Common Prayer According to the Use of The Episcopal Church_.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The collect is by Lancelot Andrewes and the closing sentence is by St Columba.