OREMUS: 6 September 2006

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Wed Sep 6 14:53:39 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, September 6, 2006
Allen Gardiner, founder of the South American Missionary Society, 1851

Blessed are you, Almighty God, Father of all mercies,
we give you thanks for all your goodness and loving-kindness
to us and to all whom you have made.
We bless you for our creation, preservation,
and all the blessings of this life;
but above all for your immeasurable love
in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ;
for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory.

Why are the nations in an uproar?*
  Why do the peoples mutter empty threats?
Why do the kings of the earth rise up in revolt
    and the princes plot together,*
  against the Lord and against his anointed?
‘Let us break their yoke’, they say;*
  ‘let us cast off their bonds from us.’
He whose throne is in heaven is laughing;*
  the Lord has them in derision.
Then he speaks to them in his wrath*
  and his rage fills them with terror.
‘I myself have set my king*
  upon my holy hill of Zion.’
Let me announce the decree of the Lord:*
  he said to me, ‘You are my Son;
    this day have I begotten you.
‘Ask of me and I will give you the nations for
    your inheritance*
  and the ends of the earth for your possession.
‘You shall crush them with an iron rod*
  and shatter them like a piece of pottery.’
And now, you kings, be wise;*
  be warned, you rulers of the earth.
Submit to the Lord with fear,*
  and with trembling bow before him;
Lest he be angry and you perish;*
  for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Happy are they all*
  who take refuge in him!

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;

Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;

Return to the Lord,
who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways', says the Lord.

'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,

'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,

'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,

'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

Psalm 147:13-end
Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
  praise your God, O Zion;
  he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
  and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
  he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
  who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Song of Solomon 8:5-7]:

Who is that coming up from the wilderness,
leaning upon her beloved?

Under the apple tree I awakened you.
There your mother was in labour with you;
there she who bore you was in labour.

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;
for love is strong as death,
passion fierce as the grave.
Its flashes are flashes of fire,
a raging flame.
Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can floods drown it.
If one offered for love
all the wealth of one's house,
it would be utterly scorned.

HYMN
Words: Anonymous, 1880
Tune: Belleville

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l264.html

Lord, for tomorrow and its needs
I do not pray;
keep me, my God, from stain of sin
just for today.

Let me both diligently work
and duly pray;
Let me be kind in word and deed,
just for today.

Let me be slow to do my will,
prompt to obey;
help me to sacrifice myself,
just for today.

Let me no wrong or idle word
unthinking say;
set thou a seal upon my lips
just for today.

Let me in season, Lord, be grave,
in season gay;
let me be faithful to Thy grace,
just for today.

Lord, for tomorrow and its needs
I do not pray;
but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord,
just for today.

SECOND READING [Mark 7:9-23]:

Jesus said to them, 'You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of
God in order to keep your tradition! For Moses said, "Honour your father
and your mother"; and, "Whoever speaks evil of father or mother must surely
die." But you say that if anyone tells father or mother, "Whatever support
you might have had from me is Corban" (that is, an offering to God) then
you no longer permit doing anything for a father or mother, thus making
void the word of God through your tradition that you have handed on. And
you do many things like this.'

Then he called the crowd again and said to them, 'Listen to me, all of you,
and understand: there is nothing outside a person that by going in can
defile, but the things that come out are what defile.'

When he had left the crowd and entered the house, his disciples asked him
about the parable. He said to them, 'Then do you also fail to understand?
Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile,
since it enters, not the heart but the stomach, and goes out into the
sewer?' (Thus he declared all foods clean.) And he said, 'It is what comes
out of a person that defiles. For it is from within, from the human heart,
that evil intentions come: fornication, theft, murder, adultery, avarice,
wickedness, deceit, licentiousness, envy, slander, pride, folly. All these
evil things come from within, and they defile a person.'

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Under your holy wings, you gather us, O God,
and you shelter us by your grace.

Together in faith communities,
you call us share your love and mercy.
Gather us in, O God.

We give you thanks for all that gives shape to life in community:
devotion to apostolic teaching,
sharing in fellowship around your Word and Table,
continuous prayer for the world and the Church.
Gather us in, O God.

Save your Church from formless piety.
Gather us in, O God.

Help families and the leaders of households to pattern faith.
Gather us in, O God.

Choose and renew our leaders for disciple-making.
Gather us in, O God.

Uphold those who seek peace with justice.
Gather us in, O God.

Give light to all who strive to discern what is right.
Gather us in, O God.

Comfort the dying.
Gather us in, O God.

Heal the broken and suffering.
Gather us in, O God.

Take possession of our hearts, O Lord,
and subdue them wholly to yourself.
Fill our minds with pictures of your love,
that within us there may be no room
for thoughts discordant with your holy will.
May we not be slow to hear your call
or to obey it. Amen.

Everlasting God,
whose servant Allen Gardiner carried the good news of your Son
to the people of South America,
grant that we who commemorate his service
may know the hope of the gospel in our hearts
and manifest its light in all our ways;

Be a bright flame before us, O God,
and a guiding star above us.
Be a smooth path below us
and a kindly shepherd behind us,
today, tomorrow, and always. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses sentences from prayers in The Book
of Common Prayer According to the Use of The Episcopal Church.

The intercession is reprinted from THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke, © 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The first collect is by William Temple and the closing sentence is by St
Columba.

Allen Francis Gardiner was born in 1794 and joined the Royal Navy as a
young man. He resigned in 1826 and, on the death of his wife in 1834,
dedicated himself to missionary work. He pioneered a mission to the Zulus
in South Africa for the Church Missionary Society and founded the city of
Durban. He then went to South America to investigate the possibility of
evangelism amongst the indigenous tribes. He travelled extensively and
founded the South American Missionary Society in 1844. With seven other
missionaries, he died of starvation in 1851 on the shores of Tierra del
Fuego. [Exciting Holiness]