OREMUS: 31 October 2006

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Tue Oct 31 14:26:37 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Blessed are you, Holy God,
your justice is without partiality
and your mercy embraces all who live.
You have shown us through your Son
that through love of you and our neighbor,
hatred may yield to forgiveness
and quarrels give way to reconciliation.

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
  his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
  let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
  let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
  and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
  and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
  and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
    encompasses those who fear him,*
  and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
  happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
  for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
  but those who seek the Lord
    lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
  I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
  and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
  and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
  seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
  and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
  to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
  and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
  and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
  but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
  not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
  and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
  and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 18:1-32]:

The word of the Lord came to me: What do you mean by repeating this proverb
concerning the land of Israel, 'The parents have eaten sour grapes, and the
children's teeth are set on edge'? As I live, says the Lord God, this
proverb shall no more be used by you in Israel. Know that all lives are
mine; the life of the parent as well as the life of the child is mine: it
is only the person who sins that shall die.

If a man is righteous and does what is lawful and right if he does not eat
upon the mountains or lift up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel,
does not defile his neighbour's wife or approach a woman during her
menstrual period, does not oppress anyone, but restores to the debtor his
pledge, commits no robbery, gives his bread to the hungry and covers the
naked with a garment, does not take advance or accrued interest, withholds
his hand from iniquity, executes true justice between contending parties,
follows my statutes, and is careful to observe my ordinances, acting
faithfully such a one is righteous; he shall surely live, says the Lord God.

If he has a son who is violent, a shedder of blood, who does any of these
things (though his father does none of them), who eats upon the mountains,
defiles his neighbour's wife, oppresses the poor and needy, commits
robbery, does not restore the pledge, lifts up his eyes to the idols,
commits abomination, takes advance or accrued interest; shall he then live?
He shall not. He has done all these abominable things; he shall surely die;
his blood shall be upon himself.

But if this man has a son who sees all the sins that his father has done,
considers, and does not do likewise, who does not eat upon the mountains or
lift up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, does not defile his
neighbour's wife, does not wrong anyone, exacts no pledge, commits no
robbery, but gives his bread to the hungry and covers the naked with a
garment, withholds his hand from iniquity, takes no advance or accrued
interest, observes my ordinances, and follows my statutes; he shall not die
for his father's iniquity; he shall surely live. As for his father, because
he practised extortion, robbed his brother, and did what is not good among
his people, he dies for his iniquity.

Yet you say, 'Why should not the son suffer for the iniquity of the
father?' When the son has done what is lawful and right, and has been
careful to observe all my statutes, he shall surely live. The person who
sins shall die. A child shall not suffer for the iniquity of a parent, nor
a parent suffer for the iniquity of a child; the righteousness of the
righteous shall be his own, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be his own.

But if the wicked turn away from all their sins that they have committed
and keep all my statutes and do what is lawful and right, they shall surely
live; they shall not die. None of the transgressions that they have
committed shall be remembered against them; for the righteousness that they
have done they shall live. Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked,
says the Lord God, and not rather that they should turn from their ways and
live? But when the righteous turn away from their righteousness and commit
iniquity and do the same abominable things that the wicked do, shall they
live? None of the righteous deeds that they have done shall be remembered;
for the treachery of which they are guilty and the sin they have committed,
they shall die.

Yet you say, 'The way of the Lord is unfair.' Hear now, O house of Israel:
Is my way unfair? Is it not your ways that are unfair? When the righteous
turn away from their righteousness and commit iniquity, they shall die for
it; for the iniquity that they have committed they shall die. Again, when
the wicked turn away from the wickedness they have committed and do what is
lawful and right, they shall save their life. Because they considered and
turned away from all the transgressions that they had committed, they shall
surely live; they shall not die. Yet the house of Israel says, 'The way of
the Lord is unfair.' O house of Israel, are my ways unfair? Is it not your
ways that are unfair?

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, all of you according to your
ways, says the Lord God. Repent and turn from all your transgressions;
otherwise iniquity will be your ruin. Cast away from you all the
transgressions that you have committed against me, and get yourselves a new
heart and a new spirit! Why will you die, O house of Israel? For I have no
pleasure in the death of anyone, says the Lord God. Turn, then, and live.

HYMN
Words: Horatius Bonar, 1857
Tune: Kingsland

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

Thy way, not mine, O Lord,
however dark it be;
lead me by thine own hand,
choose out the path for me.

Smooth let it be or rough,
it will be still the best;
winding or straight, it leads
right onward to thy rest.

I dare not choose my lot;
I would not, if I might;
choose thou for me, my God,
so I shall walk aright.

The kingdom that I seek
is thine; so let the way
that leads to it be thine,
else I must surely stray.

Take thou my cup, and it
with joy or sorrow fill,
as best to thee may seem;
choose thou my good and ill.

Choose thou for me my friends,
my sickness or my health;
choose thou my cares for me
my poverty or wealth.

Not mine, not mine the choice
in things or great or small;
be thou my Guide, my Strength
my wisdom and my all.

SECOND READING [Acts 9:32-35]:

Now as Peter went here and there among all the believers, he came down also
to the saints living in Lydda. There he found a man named Aeneas, who had
been bedridden for eight years, for he was paralysed. Peter said to him,
'Aeneas, Jesus Christ heals you; get up and make your bed!' And immediately
he got up. And all the residents of Lydda and Sharon saw him and turned to
the Lord.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Ever-present Spirit of God,
as we abide with you and you with us,
we cry out for our brothers and sisters:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For all who suffer want, loneliness or depression:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For racial, cultural and national groups
who suffer prejudice, oppressive leaders
or economic exploitation.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For the Church in those places where it suffers
blindness, controversy, disorientation,
persecution or change.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For those we have to tried to love and serve today.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

O God,
you reveal yourself to the humble in the lowliest of disguises,
yet the proud fail to find you even in your greatest glory:
Help us to perceive you in this ordinary moment,
that with faith piercing the superficial experience of this world,
we may see you accomplishing many great things around us.
We ask this through Jesus Christ, our Lord born in a barn. Amen.

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in Book of Common Worship, ©
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession is reprinted from THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke, © 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The collect is by Stephen Benner, 2003, based on a reading from Abandonment
to Divine Providence by Jean-Pierre de Caussade.