OREMUS: 29 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 28 20:32:53 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, October 29, 2006
The Twenty-First Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Holy God,
your justice is without partiality
and your  mercy embraces all who live.
You have shown us through your Son
that through love of you and our neighbor,
hatred may yield to forgiveness
and quarrels give way to reconciliation.

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

Psalm 126

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Job 42:7-9]:

After the Lord had spoken these words to Job, the Lord
said to Eliphaz the Temanite: 'My wrath is kindled
against you and against your two friends; for you have
not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.
Now therefore take seven bulls and seven rams, and go to
my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a
burnt-offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you,
for I will accept his prayer not to deal with you
according to your folly; for you have not spoken of me
what is right, as my servant Job has done.' So Eliphaz
the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the
Naamathite went and did what the Lord had told them; and
the Lord accepted Job's prayer.

HYMN
Words: Love Maria Willis, 1864
Tune: Sussex, Gott will's machen, Gott des Himmels, Marching

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f055.html

Father, hear the prayer we offer:
not for ease that prayer shall be,
but for strength, that we may ever
live our lives courageously.

Not for ever in green pastures
do we ask our way to be ;
but the steep and rugged pathway
may we tread rejoicingly.

Not forever by still waters
would we idly rest and stay;
but would smite the living fountains
from the rocks along our way.

Be our strength in hours of weakness,
in our wanderings be our Guide;
through endeavor, failure, danger,
Savior, be thou at our side.

SECOND READING [Mark 8:22-26]:

They came to Bethsaida. Some people brought a blind man to him and begged him to
touch him. He took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village; and when
he had put saliva on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him, 'Can you see
anything?' And the man looked up and said, 'I can see people, but they look like trees,
walking.' Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he looked intently and his
sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. Then he sent him away to his home,
saying, 'Do not even go into the village.'

Let us cry out to God
for peace and a time of healing.

For all bishops,
for this holy gathering,
and for the people of God in every place.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For mercy, justice, and peace among all peoples.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For good weather,
abundant fruits of the earth,
and peaceful times.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For our city and those who live in it,
and for our families, companions, and all those we love.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For all those in danger and need:
the sick and the suffering,
travelers and strangers,
and all with heavy burdens.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For those who rest in Christ and for all the dead.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

Lifting our voices with all creation,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord.

O God,
who alone can probe the depths of the heart,
you hear the prayer of the humble
and justify the repentant sinner:
Grant us the gift of humility,
that we see our own sins clearly
and refrain from judging our neighbor.
We make our prayer through your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater; the response is by Stephen Benner.