OREMUS: 27 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Oct 26 18:48:16 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, October 27, 2006

Blessed are you, tireless Guardian of your people,
you are always ready to hear the cry of your chosen ones;
you teach us to rely day and night on your care.
You impel us to seek your enduring justice
and your ever-present help
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

To you I lift up my eyes,*
 to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
 and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
 until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
 for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
 and of the derision of the proud.

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6:1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.

God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.

After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.

Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.

He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.

'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?

'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.

'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.

'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

FIRST READING [Nehemiah 1:1-11]:

The words of Nehemiah son of Hacaliah. In the month of
Chislev, in the twentieth year, while I was in Susa the
capital, one of my brothers, Hanani, came with certain
men from Judah; and I asked them about the Jews that
survived, those who had escaped the captivity, and about
Jerusalem. They replied, 'The survivors there in the
province who escaped captivity are in great trouble and
shame; the wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its
gates have been destroyed by fire.'
When I heard these words I sat down and wept, and mourned
for days, fasting and praying before the God of heaven. I
said, 'O Lord God of heaven, the great and awesome God
who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love
him and keep his commandments; let your ear be attentive
and your eyes open to hear the prayer of your servant
that I now pray before you day and night for your
servants the people of Israel, confessing the sins of the
people of Israel, which we have sinned against you. Both
I and my family have sinned. We have offended you deeply,
failing to keep the commandments, the statutes, and the
ordinances that you commanded your servant Moses.
Remember the word that you commanded your servant Moses,
"If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the
peoples; but if you return to me and keep my commandments
and do them, though your outcasts are under the farthest
skies, I will gather them from there and bring them to
the place at which I have chosen to establish my name."
They are your servants and your people, whom you redeemed
by your great power and your strong hand. O Lord, let
your ear be attentive to the prayer of your servant, and
to the prayer of your servants who delight in revering
your name. Give success to your servant today, and grant
him mercy in the sight of this man!'
At the time, I was cupbearer to the king.

HYMN
Words: Henry Arthur Martin, 1871
Tune: Commandments

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o536.html

O Rock of ages, one Foundation,
on which the living Church doth rest,
the Church whose walls are strong salvation,
whose gates are praise: thy Name be blest.

Son of the living God, O call us
once and again to follow thee;
and give us strength, whate'er befall us,
thy true disciples still to be.

When fears appall and faith is failing,
make thy voice heard o'er wind and wave;
and in thy perfect love prevailing
put forth thy hand to help and save.

And if our coward hearts deny thee
in inmost thought, in deed or word,
let not our hardness still defy thee,
but with a look subdue us, Lord.

O strengthen thou our weak endeavor
thee in thy sheep to serve and tend,
to give ourselves to thee for ever,
and find thee with us to the end.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 7:11-22]:

Now if perfection had been attainable through the levitical priesthood for the people
received the law under this priesthood what further need would there have been to
speak of another priest arising according to the order of Melchizedek, rather than one
according to the order of Aaron? For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is
necessarily a change in the law as well. Now the one of whom these things are spoken
belonged to another tribe, from which no one has ever served at the altar. For it is
evident that our Lord was descended from Judah, and in connection with that tribe
Moses said nothing about priests.
It is even more obvious when another priest arises, resembling Melchizedek, one who
has become a priest, not through a legal requirement concerning physical descent, but
through the power of an indestructible life. For it is attested of him,
'You are a priest for ever,
   according to the order of Melchizedek.'
There is, on the one hand, the abrogation of an earlier commandment because it was
weak and ineffectual (for the law made nothing perfect); there is, on the other hand,
the introduction of a better hope, through which we approach God.

This was confirmed with an oath; for others who became priests took their office
without an oath, but this one became a priest with an oath, because of the one who
said to him,
'The Lord has sworn
   and will not change his mind,
"You are a priest for ever" '
accordingly Jesus has also become the guarantee of a better covenant.

We pray for the coming of God's kingdom, saying,
Father, by your Spirit:
bring in your kingdom.

You came in Jesus to bring good news to the poor,
sight to the blind, freedom to the captives,
and salvation to your people:
anoint us with your Spirit;
rouse us to work in his name.
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to bring help to the poor
and freedom to the oppressed:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to tell the world
the good news of your healing love:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to those who mourn,
to bring joy and gladness instead of grief:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to proclaim that the time is here
for you to save your people:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Guide and govern your holy Church, O Lord,
that it may walk warily in times of quiet
and boldly in times of trouble;
through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. Amen.
[

Grant us boldness to desire a place in your kingdom,
the courage to drink the cup of suffering,
and the grace to find in service
the glory you promise. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.