OREMUS: 24 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 23 20:10:54 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Blessed are you, tireless Guardian of your people,
you are always ready to hear the cry of your chosen ones;
you teach us to rely day and night on your care.
You impel us to seek your enduring justice
and your ever-present help
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21:1-5a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, my dwelling is with my people.

'I will dwell with them and they shall be mine,
and I myself will be with them.

'I will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.

'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'

And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

FIRST READING [Job 41:1-11]:

'Can you draw out Leviathan with a fish-hook,
   or press down its tongue with a cord?
Can you put a rope in its nose,
   or pierce its jaw with a hook?
Will it make many supplications to you?
   Will it speak soft words to you?
Will it make a covenant with you
   to be taken as your servant for ever?
Will you play with it as with a bird,
   or will you put it on a leash for your girls?
Will traders bargain over it?
   Will they divide it up among the merchants?
Can you fill its skin with harpoons,
   or its head with fishing-spears?
Lay hands on it;
   think of the battle; you will not do it again!
Any hope of capturing it will be disappointed;
   were not even the gods overwhelmed at the sight of it?
No one is so fierce as to dare to stir it up.
   Who can stand before it?
Who can confront it and be safe?
    under the whole heaven, who?

HYMN
Words: Congregational Church Hymnal, 1887
Tune: Melcombe

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b063.html

Behold the eternal King and Priest
brings forth for me the bread and wine;
himself the Master of the feast,
his flesh and blood the food divine!

Jesus, I come, for thou dost call,
I eat and drink at thy command;
low at thy feet I humbly fall,
O touch me with thy piercŠd hand.

Wash throughly clean this heart of mine,
that it may beat for thee alone;
O let it lose its life in thine,
and have no will except thine own!

In weariness be thou my rest,
in loneliness be thou my friend,
in sorrow hold me to thy breast,
and keep me, Jesus, to the end.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 6:13-20]:

When God made a promise to Abraham, because he had no one greater by whom to
swear, he swore by himself, saying, 'I will surely bless you and multiply you.' And thus
Abraham, having patiently endured, obtained the promise. Human beings, of course,
swear by someone greater than themselves, and an oath given as confirmation puts an
end to all dispute. In the same way, when God desired to show even more clearly to
the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it by
an oath, so that through two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible that God
would prove false, we who have taken refuge might be strongly encouraged to seize
the hope set before us. We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a
hope that enters the inner shrine behind the curtain, where Jesus, a forerunner on our
behalf, has entered, having become a high priest for ever according to the order of
Melchizedek.

We pray to God our Father, saying:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For all Christian people, knit together by your word of life;
and for all who teach and guard the faith:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who study and translate the Scriptures:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who are mocked and persecuted for their faith:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who long to know you, and your living Word:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those tempted to forsake your way;
for those whose hearts are hardened and unfeeling,
and for those who threaten war:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those bowed down with grief, fear or sickness, (especially. . .)
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

Giving thanks for those who have died in the faith of Christ,
we rejoice with the ever-blessed Virgin Mary and all your saints,
trusting in the promise of your word fulfilled.
Lord of the Church:
hear our prayer,
and make us one in heart and mind
to serve you in Christ our Lord. Amen.

Take possession of our hearts, O Lord,
and subdue them wholly to yourself.
Fill our minds with pictures of your love,
that within us there may be no room
for thoughts discordant with your holy will.
May we not be slow to hear your call
or to obey it. Amen.

Grant us boldness to desire a place in your kingdom,
the courage to drink the cup of suffering,
and the grace to find in service
the glory you promise. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.