OREMUS: 22 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 21 18:17:50 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, October 22, 2006
The Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, tireless Guardian of your people,
you are always ready to hear the cry of your chosen ones;
you teach us to rely day and night on your care.
You impel us to seek your enduring justice
and your ever-present help
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High,*
 abides under the shadow of the Almighty.
He shall say to the Lord,
   'You are my refuge and my stronghold,*
 my God in whom I put my trust.'
He shall deliver you from the snare of the hunter*
 and from the deadly pestilence.
He shall cover you with his pinions,
   and you shall find refuge under his wings;*
 his faithfulness shall be a shield and buckler.
You shall not be afraid of any terror by night,*
 nor of the arrow that flies by day;
Of the plague that stalks in the darkness,*
 nor of the sickness that lays waste at midday.
A thousand shall fall at your side
   and ten thousand at your right hand,*
 but it shall not come near you.
Your eyes have only to behold*
 to see the reward of the wicked.
Because you have made the Lord your refuge,*
 and the Most High your habitation.
There shall no evil happen to you,*
 neither shall any plague come near your dwelling.
For he shall give his angels charge over you,*
 to keep you in all your ways.
They shall bear you in their hands,*
 lest you dash your foot against a stone.
You shall tread upon the lion and adder;*
 you shall trample the young lion and the serpent
   under your feet.
Because he is bound to me in love,
   therefore will I deliver him;*
 I will protect him, because he knows my name.
He shall call upon me and I will answer him;*
 I am with him in trouble,
   I will rescue him and bring him to honour.
With long life will I satisfy him,*
 and show him my salvation.

A Song of the Lamb (from Revelation 19)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
 whose judgements are true and just.

Praise our God, all you his servants,
 all who fear him, both small and great.

The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns:
 let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.

The marriage of the Lamb has come
 and his bride has made herself ready.

Blessed are those who are invited
 to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Job 40:1-24]:

And the Lord said to Job:
'Shall a fault-finder contend with the Almighty?
   Anyone who argues with God must respond.'

Then Job answered the Lord:
'See, I am of small account; what shall I answer you?
   I lay my hand on my mouth.
I have spoken once, and I will not answer;
   twice, but will proceed no further.'

Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind:
'Gird up your loins like a man;
   I will question you, and you declare to me.
Will you even put me in the wrong?
   Will you condemn me that you may be justified?
Have you an arm like God,
   and can you thunder with a voice like his?

'Deck yourself with majesty and dignity;
   clothe yourself with glory and splendour.
Pour out the overflowings of your anger,
   and look on all who are proud, and abase them.
Look on all who are proud, and bring them low;
   tread down the wicked where they stand.
Hide them all in the dust together;
   bind their faces in the world below.
Then I will also acknowledge to you
   that your own right hand can give you victory.

'Look at Behemoth,
   which I made just as I made you;
   it eats grass like an ox.
Its strength is in its loins,
   and its power in the muscles of its belly.
It makes its tail stiff like a cedar;
   the sinews of its thighs are knit together.
Its bones are tubes of bronze,
   its limbs like bars of iron.

'It is the first of the great acts of God
   only its Maker can approach it with the sword.
For the mountains yield food for it
   where all the wild animals play.
Under the lotus plants it lies,
   in the covert of the reeds and in the marsh.
The lotus trees cover it for shade;
   the willows of the wadi surround it.
Even if the river is turbulent, it is not frightened;
   it is confident though Jordan rushes against its mouth.
Can one take it with hooks
   or pierce its nose with a snare?

HYMN
Words: Thomas Pestel (ca. 1586-1660), 1639
Tune: This endris nyght

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b065.html

Behold the great Creator makes
himself a house of clay,
a robe of virgin flesh he takes
which he will wear for ay.

Hark, hark, the wise eternal Word,
like a weak infant cries!
In form of servant is the Lord,
and God in cradle lies.

This wonder struck the world amazed,
it shook the starry frame;
squadrons of spirits stood and gazed,
then down in troops they came.

Glad shepherds ran to view this sight;
a choir of angels sings,
and eastern sages with delight
adore this King of kings.

Join then all hearts that are not stone,
and all our voices prove,
to celebrate this holy One,
the God of peace and love.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 6:1-12]:

Therefore let us go on towards perfection, leaving behind the basic teaching about
Christ, and not laying again the foundation: repentance from dead works and faith
towards God, instruction about baptisms, laying on of hands, resurrection of the dead,
and eternal judgement. And we will do this, if God permits. For it is impossible to
restore again to repentance those who have once been enlightened, and have tasted the
heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the
word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, since on
their own they are crucifying again the Son of God and are holding him up to
contempt. Ground that drinks up the rain falling on it repeatedly, and that produces a
crop useful to those for whom it is cultivated, receives a blessing from God. But if it
produces thorns and thistles, it is worthless and on the verge of being cursed; its end is
to be burned over.
Even though we speak in this way, beloved, we are confident of better things in your
case, things that belong to salvation. For God is not unjust; he will not overlook your
work and the love that you showed for his sake in serving the saints, as you still do.
And we want each one of you to show the same diligence, so as to realize the full
assurance of hope to the very end, so that you may not become sluggish, but imitators
of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Great Friend of the poor, the neglected, the abused, and the distressed,
we pray for any who are now feeling forsaken

In your mercy, help us not to forget the needs of -

  the migrant, the child, the elderly....

  the deserted wife, or husband or children...

  the teenage loner or the spurned parent...

  the new arrival in a strange city or country...

  the shy person alone in a small flat...

  the political prisoner without recourse to justice...

  the hospital patient without any visitors...

  the dying soul with no one to sit with them...

  the grief stricken with no one to comfort them.

Merciful God,
send your angels of mercy to all in need.
Grant them quietness and peace,
through Jesus Christ our Redeemer,
who, hanging on the cross, knew our sufferings. Amen.

Almighty God,
your Son has opened for us
a new and living way into your presence:
Give us pure hearts and steadfast wills
to worship you in spirit and in truth;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant us boldness to desire a place in your kingdom,
the courage to drink the cup of suffering,
and the grace to find in service
the glory you promise. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.