OREMUS: 20 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Oct 19 20:06:29 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, October 20, 2006

our life, our health, our salvation.
You look with mercy on your people;
you stip up in us a saving faith,
that believing, we may be healed,
and being healed, we may worthily give you thanks.

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his loving-kindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

A Song of the Justified (Romans 4.24,25; 5.1-5,8,9,11)

God reckons as righteous those who believe,
who believe in him who raised Jesus from the dead;

For Christ was handed over to death for our sins,
and raised to life for our justification.

Since we are justified by faith,
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Through Christ we have gained access
to the grace in which we stand,
and rejoice in our hope of the glory of God.

We even exult in our sufferings,
for suffering produces endurance,

And endurance brings hope,
and our hope is not in vain,

Because God's love has been poured into our hearts,
through the Holy Spirit, given to us.

God proves his love for us:
while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

Since we have been justified by his death,
how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath.

Therefore, we exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we have now received our reconciliation.

FIRST READING [Job 37:1-24]:

'At this also my heart trembles,
   and leaps out of its place.
Listen, listen to the thunder of his voice
   and the rumbling that comes from his mouth.
Under the whole heaven he lets it loose,
   and his lightning to the corners of the earth.
After it his voice roars;
   he thunders with his majestic voice
   and he does not restrain the lightnings when his voice is heard.
God thunders wondrously with his voice;
   he does great things that we cannot comprehend.
For to the snow he says, "Fall on the earth";
   and the shower of rain, his heavy shower of rain,
serves as a sign on everyone's hand,
   so that all whom he has made may know it.
Then the animals go into their lairs
   and remain in their dens.
>From its chamber comes the whirlwind,
   and cold from the scattering winds.
By the breath of God ice is given,
   and the broad waters are frozen fast.
He loads the thick cloud with moisture;
   the clouds scatter his lightning.
They turn round and round by his guidance,
   to accomplish all that he commands them
   on the face of the habitable world.
Whether for correction, or for his land,
   or for love, he causes it to happen.

'Hear this, O Job;
   stop and consider the wondrous works of God.
Do you know how God lays his command upon them,
   and causes the lightning of his cloud to shine?
Do you know the balancings of the clouds,
   the wondrous works of the one whose knowledge is perfect,
you whose garments are hot
   when the earth is still because of the south wind?
Can you, like him, spread out the skies,
   unyielding as a cast mirror?
Teach us what we shall say to him;
   we cannot draw up our case because of darkness.
Should he be told that I want to speak?
   Did anyone ever wish to be swallowed up?
Now, no one can look on the light
   when it is bright in the skies,
   when the wind has passed and cleared them.
Out of the north comes golden splendour;
   around God is awesome majesty.
The Almighty we cannot find him;
   he is great in power and justice,
   and abundant righteousness he will not violate.
Therefore mortals fear him;
   he does not regard any who are wise in their own conceit.'

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1707
Tune: Nativity

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c230.html

Come, let us join our cheerful songs
with angels round the throne.
ten thousand thousand are their tongues,
but all their joys are one.

"Worthy the Lamb that died," they cry,
"to be exalted thus!"
"Worthy the Lamb," our hearts reply,
"for he was slain for us!"

Jesus is worthy to receive
honor and power divine;
and blessings more than we can give,
be, Lord, forever thine.

Let all that dwell above the sky,
and air, and earth, and seas,
conspire to lift thy glories high,
and speak thine endless praise!

The whole creation join in one,
to bless the sacred Name
of him who sits upon the throne,
and to adore the Lamb.

SECOND READING [Revelation 17:1-18]:

Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and said to me, 'Come, I
will show you the judgement of the great whore who is seated on many waters, with
whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and with the wine of whose
fornication the inhabitants of the earth have become drunk.' So he carried me away in
the spirit into a wilderness, and I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast that was full
of blasphemous names, and it had seven heads and ten horns. The woman was clothed
in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and jewels and pearls, holding in her hand
a golden cup full of abominations and the impurities of her fornication; and on her
forehead was written a name, a mystery: 'Babylon the great, mother of whores and of
earth's abominations.' And I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the
saints and the blood of the witnesses to Jesus.
When I saw her, I was greatly amazed. But the angel said to me, 'Why are you so
amazed? I will tell you the mystery of the woman, and of the beast with seven heads
and ten horns that carries her. The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to
ascend from the bottomless pit and go to destruction. And the inhabitants of the earth,
whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the
world, will be amazed when they see the beast, because it was and is not and is to
come.
'This calls for a mind that has wisdom: the seven heads are seven mountains on which
the woman is seated; also, they are seven kings, of whom five have fallen, one is living,
and the other has not yet come; and when he comes, he must remain for only a little
while. As for the beast that was and is not, it is an eighth but it belongs to the seven,
and it goes to destruction. And the ten horns that you saw are ten kings who have not
yet received a kingdom, but they are to receive authority as kings for one hour,
together with the beast. These are united in yielding their power and authority to the
beast; they will make war on the Lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, for he is
Lord of lords and King of kings, and those with him are called and chosen and
faithful.'
And he said to me, 'The waters that you saw, where the whore is seated, are peoples
and multitudes and nations and languages. And the ten horns that you saw, they and
the beast will hate the whore; they will make her desolate and naked; they will devour
her flesh and burn her up with fire. For God has put it into their hearts to carry out his
purpose by agreeing to give their kingdom to the beast, until the words of God will be
fulfilled. The woman you saw is the great city that rules over the kings of the earth.'

Faithful God, Lord of all,
we offer our prayers to you
for a world in need.

Lord of the Church, we pray for your people throughout the world.
Give unity in the Spirit
that we may be one in the witness of saving love
and glorify you with one mind and mouth.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Head of the Body,
give us wisdom to follow your commandments,
to live peacefully and do justly,
and to walk humbly with you.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Creator and ruler of the universe,
give to all who exercise authority
wisdom and virtue to govern justly
and bring peace across the land.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Source of all compassion,
give to all who suffer
the light of your presence and the caring of your people,
to bring calm and comfort.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Giver of good to all,
take from us any evil thought or will
that we may forgive those who offend us or seek our harm
as you have forgiven us.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

All-knowing One, you who see us as we are
and know us as we should be:
forgive our sins, set us free from fear,
and give us lives abundant with your guiding presence,
that we may be yours for ever,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Lord our God,
whose glory is beyond our understanding,
whose mercy is without measure
and whose love is beyond our telling;
in your tenderness of heart
look upon us and all whom we love,
and deal with us
according to the riches of your grace and compassion;

Give us your saving grace until that day when you welcome us
to the heavenly banquet beyond compare. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.