OREMUS: 19 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Oct 18 23:00:45 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, October 19, 2006
Henry Martyn, Translator of the Scriptures, Missionary in India and Persia, 1812

our life, our health, our salvation.
You look with mercy on your people;
you stip up in us a saving faith,
that believing, we may be healed,
and being healed, we may worthily give you thanks.

 and his mercy endures for ever.
Let all those whom the Lord has redeemed proclaim*
 that he redeemed them from the hand of the foe.
He gathered them out of the lands;*
 from the east and from the west,
   from the north and from the south.
Some wandered in desert wastes;*
 they found no way to a city where they might dwell.
They were hungry and thirsty;*
 their spirits languished within them.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He put their feet on a straight path*
 to go to a city where they might dwell.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he satisfies the thirsty*
 and fills the hungry with good things.
Some sat in darkness and deep gloom,*
 bound fast in misery and iron;
Because they rebelled against the words of God*
 and despised the counsel of the Most High.
So he humbled their spirits with hard labour;*
 they stumbled and there was none to help.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them out of darkness and deep gloom*
 and broke their bonds asunder.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he shatters the doors of bronze*
 and breaks in two the iron bars.
Some were fools and took to rebellious ways;*
 they were afflicted because of their sins.
They abhorred all manner of food*
 and drew near to death's door.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He sent forth his word and healed them*
 and saved them from the grave.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and tell of his acts with shouts of joy.
Some went down to the sea in ships*
 and plied their trade in deep waters;
They beheld the works of the Lord*
 and his wonders in the deep.
Then he spoke and a stormy wind arose,*
 which tossed high the waves of the sea.
They mounted up to the heavens
   and fell back to the depths;*
 their hearts melted because of their peril.
They reeled and staggered like drunkards*
 and were at their wits' end.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper*
 and quieted the waves of the sea.
Then were they glad because of the calm,*
 and he brought them
   to the harbour they were bound for.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them exalt him in the congregation of the people*
 and praise him in the council of the elders.
The Lord changed rivers into deserts,*
 and water-springs into thirsty ground,
A fruitful land into salt flats,*
 because of the wickedness of those who dwell there.
He changed deserts into pools of water*
 and dry land into water-springs.
He settled the hungry there,*
 and they founded a city to dwell in.
They sowed fields and planted vineyards,*
 and brought in a fruitful harvest.
He blessed them, so that they increased greatly;*
 he did not let their herds decrease.
Yet when they were diminished and brought low,*
 through stress of adversity and sorrow,
He lifted up the poor out of misery*
 and multiplied their families like flocks of sheep.
He pours contempt on princes*
 and makes them wander in trackless wastes.
The upright will see this and rejoice,*
 but all wickedness will shut its mouth.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things,*
 and consider well the mercies of the Lord.

A Song of the Covenant (Isaiah 42:5-8a)

Thus says God, who created the heavens,
who fashioned the earth and all that dwells in it;

Who gives breath to the people upon it,
and spirit to those who walk in it,

'I am the Lord and I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;

'I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind.

'To bring out the captives from the dungeon,
from the prison, those who sit in darkness.

'I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Job 36:1-16]:

Elihu continued and said:
'Bear with me a little, and I will show you,
   for I have yet something to say on God's behalf.
I will bring my knowledge from far away,
   and ascribe righteousness to my Maker.
For truly my words are not false;
   one who is perfect in knowledge is with you.

'Surely God is mighty and does not despise any;
   he is mighty in strength of understanding.
He does not keep the wicked alive,
   but gives the afflicted their right.
He does not withdraw his eyes from the righteous,
   but with kings on the throne
   he sets them for ever, and they are exalted.
And if they are bound in fetters
   and caught in the cords of affliction,
then he declares to them their work
   and their transgressions, that they are behaving arrogantly.
He opens their ears to instruction,
   and commands that they return from iniquity.
If they listen, and serve him,
   they complete their days in prosperity,
   and their years in pleasantness.
But if they do not listen, they shall perish by the sword,
   and die without knowledge.

'The godless in heart cherish anger;
   they do not cry for help when he binds them.
They die in their youth,
   and their life ends in shame.
He delivers the afflicted by their affliction,
   and opens their ear by adversity.
He also allured you out of distress
   into a broad place where there was no constraint,
   and what was set on your table was full of fatness.

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery, 1823
Tune: Wareham, Melcombe, Waltham, Truro

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o600.html

O Spirit of the living God,
in all the fullness of thy grace,
where'er the foot of man hath trod,
descend on our apostate race.

Give tongues of fire and hearts of love,
to preach the reconciling word;
give power and unction from above,
whene'er the joyful sound is heard.

Be darkness, at thy coming, light;
confusion, order in thy path;
souls without strength inspire with might,
bid mercy triumph over wrath.

Baptize the nations; far and nigh
the triumph of the cross record;
the Name of Jesus glorify,
till every kindred call him Lord.

God from eternity hath willed
all flesh shall his salvation see;
so be the Father's love fulfilled,
the Savior's sufferings crowned through thee.

SECOND READING [Romans 15:7-13]:

Welcome one another, therefore, just as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of
God. For I tell you that Christ has become a servant of the circumcised on behalf of
the truth of God in order that he might confirm the promises given to the patriarchs,
and in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written,
'Therefore I will confess you among the Gentiles,
   and sing praises to your name';
and again he says,
'Rejoice, O Gentiles, with his people';
and again,
'Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles,
   and let all the peoples praise him';
and again Isaiah says,
'The root of Jesse shall come,
   the one who rises to rule the Gentiles;
in him the Gentiles shall hope.'
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may
abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Most holy and gracious God,
we praise you for the glorious freedom
we have together in Christ Jesus.

You have called us to be brothers and sisters
in the covenant of your Church.
Hear our desire to live in covenant relationships
of binding and loosing,
so that we may truly be your faithful people.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Enlarge our understandings of how we can work together
to raise up your Church and your mission
in this technological age.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Forgive us for not being sensitive to one another
and for preferring to be loners instead of joining in our common cause.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

As you have forgiven us, may we forgive one another.
May our love flow like an everlasting river,
making our baptismal covenant a daily reality.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Give to us, O God, a heart of joy,
that rests in your peace
and a soul of tranquility that delights in your beauty;
a spirit of glory that sings your praise,
a life of serenity at home in your presence
and a mind of quietness renewed by your Spirit;

who by your Holy Spirit gave Henry Martyn
a longing to tell the good news of Christ
and skill to translate the Scriptures:
by the same Spirit give us grace to offer you our gifts,
wherever you may lead, at whatever the cost;

Give us your saving grace until that day when you welcome us
to the heavenly banquet beyond compare. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.