OREMUS: 17 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 16 19:48:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, October 17, 2006
Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch, Martyr, c.107

our life, our health, our salvation.
You look with mercy on your people;
you stip up in us a saving faith,
that believing, we may be healed,
and being healed, we may worthily give you thanks.

Bow down your ear, O Lord, and answer me,*
 for I am poor and in misery.
Keep watch over my life, for I am faithful;*
 save your servant who trusts in you.
Be merciful to me, O Lord, for you are my God;*
 I call upon you all the day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,*
 for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,*
 and great is your love towards all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer,*
 and attend to the voice of my supplications.
In the time of my trouble I will call upon you,*
 for you will answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord,*
 nor anything like your works.
All nations you have made
   will come and worship you, O Lord,*
 and glorify your name.
For you are great; you do wondrous things;*
 and you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   and I will walk in your truth;*
 knit my heart to you that I may fear your name.
I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart,*
 and glorify your name for evermore.
For great is your love towards me;*
 you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit.
The arrogant rise up against me, O God,
   and a violent band seeks my life;*
 they have not set you before their eyes.
But you, O Lord, are gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and full of kindness and truth.
Turn to me and have mercy upon me;*
 give your strength to your servant;
   and save the child of your handmaid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed;*
 because you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

A Song of Peace (Isaiah 2:3-5)

Come, let us go up to the mountain of God,
to the house of the God of Jacob;

That God may teach us his ways,
and that we may walk in his paths.

For the law shall go out from Zion,
and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

God shall judged between the nations,
and shall mediate for many peoples.

They shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
and their spears into pruning hooks.

Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
neither shall they learn war any more.

O people of Jacob, come:
let us walk in the light of the Lord.

FIRST READING [Job 32:1-22]:

So these three men ceased to answer Job, because he was righteous in
his own eyes. Then Elihu son of Barachel the Buzite, of the family of
Ram, became angry. He was angry at Job because he justified himself
rather than God; he was angry also at Job's three friends because
they had found no answer, though they had declared Job to be in the
wrong. Now Elihu had waited to speak to Job, because they were older
than he. But when Elihu saw that there was no answer in the mouths of
these three men, he became angry.

Elihu son of Barachel the Buzite answered:
'I am young in years,
   and you are aged;
therefore I was timid and afraid
   to declare my opinion to you.
I said, "Let days speak,
   and many years teach wisdom."
But truly it is the spirit in a mortal,
   the breath of the Almighty, that makes for understanding.
It is not the old that are wise,
   nor the aged that understand what is right.
Therefore I say, "Listen to me;
   let me also declare my opinion."

'See, I waited for your words,
   I listened for your wise sayings,
   while you searched out what to say.
I gave you my attention,
   but there was in fact no one that confuted Job,
   no one among you that answered his words.
Yet do not say, "We have found wisdom;
   God may vanquish him, not a human."
He has not directed his words against me,
   and I will not answer him with your speeches.

'They are dismayed, they answer no more;
   they have not a word to say.
And am I to wait, because they do not speak,
   because they stand there, and answer no more?
I also will give my answer;
   I also will declare my opinion.
For I am full of words;
   the spirit within me constrains me.
My heart is indeed like wine that has no vent;
   like new wineskins, it is ready to burst.
I must speak, so that I may find relief;
   I must open my lips and answer.
I will not show partiality to any person
   or use flattery towards anyone.
For I do not know how to flatter
   or my Maker would soon put an end to me!

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (c)
Tune: Woodlands

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t036.html

Tell out, my soul, the greatness of the Lord!
Unnumbered blessings give my spirit voice;
tender to me the promise of his word;
in God my Savior shall my heart rejoice.

Tell out, my soul, the greatness of his Name!
Make known his might, the deeds his arm has done;
his mercy sure, from age to age to same;
his holy Name--the Lord, the Mighty One.

Tell out, my soul, the greatness of his might!
Powers and dominions lay their glory by.
Proud hearts and stubborn wills are put to flight,
the hungry fed, the humble lifted high.

Tell out, my soul, the glories of his word!
Firm is his promise, and his mercy sure.
Tell out, my soul, the greatness of the Lord
to children's children and for evermore!

SECOND READING [Luke 16:19-31]:

Jesus said, 'There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and who
feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus,
covered with sores, who longed to satisfy his hunger with what fell from the rich
man's table; even the dogs would come and lick his sores. The poor man died and was
carried away by the angels to be with Abraham. The rich man also died and was
buried. In Hades, where he was being tormented, he looked up and saw Abraham far
away with Lazarus by his side. He called out, "Father Abraham, have mercy on me,
and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am in
agony in these flames." But Abraham said, "Child, remember that during your lifetime
you received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner evil things; but now he is
comforted here, and you are in agony. Besides all this, between you and us a great
chasm has been fixed, so that those who might want to pass from here to you cannot
do so, and no one can cross from there to us." He said, "Then, father, I beg you to
send him to my father's house  for I have five brothers that he may warn them, so
that they will not also come into this place of torment." Abraham replied, "They have
Moses and the prophets; they should listen to them." He said, "No, father Abraham;
but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent." He said to him, "If they
do not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be convinced even if
someone rises from the dead." '

O God our Salvation, you are near to all who call:
hear and answer our prayers.

You are a refuge for the oppressed;
be our stronghold in troubled times.

You stand at the right hand of the needy;
rescue all who are wrongfully condemned.

You raise the poor from the dust;
restore dignity to those who seek refuge.

You give food to the hungry;
uphold the cause of the destitute.

You watch over those who wander and sustain the widow;
provide protection in the face of danger.

You heal the brokenhearted;
bind up the wounds of all who suffer.

You call us to be your Church
send us out to do your will in the world.

You are a mighty God who loves justice;
establish your equity for all people.

Praise be to you, O Lord;
you hear and answer our prayers.

Let us walk in the way you love, O God.
Let us love you for yourself.
Let us love you in all all things.
Let us taste the sweetness of your love
and let it work its beauty in us,
until we love with that divine love with which you love us;
through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
whose servant Ignatius zealously proclaimed
the true humanity of Christ
and witnessed to him, both in life and in death:
keep the Church firm in its faith
and grant us all the grace of our Savior, Jesus Christ,

Give us your saving grace until that day when you welcome us
to the heavenly banquet beyond compare. Amen.

The psalms and the second collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1962, Renewed. 1990 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, Europe & Africa,
contact: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith, 9 Ashlands,
Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Karen Moshier Shenk and
Rebecca J. Slough, in _MPH Bulletin_, 10/13/85, as adapted in _Words
for Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

After the Apostles, Ignatius was the second bishop of Antioch in Syria. His
predecessor, of whom little is known, was named Euodius. Whether he knew
any of the Apostles directly is uncertain. Little is known of his life except for
the very end of it. Early in the second century (perhaps around 107 AD, during
the reign of the Emperor Trajan), he was arrested by the Imperial authorities,
condemned to death, and transported to Rome to die in the arena. By thus
dealing with a leader, the rulers hoped to terrify the rank and file. Instead,
Ignatius took the opportunity to encourage them, speaking to groups of
Christians at every town along the way. When the prison escort reached the
west coast of Asia Minor, it halted before taking ship, and delegations from
several Asian churches were able to visit Ignatius, to speak with him at length,
to assist him with items for his journey, and to bid him an affectionate farewell
and commend him to the grace of God. In response he wrote seven letters that
have been preserved: five to congregations that had greeted him, en masse or
by delegates (Ephesians, Magnesians, Trallians, Philadelphians, and
Smyrnaeans), one to the congregation that would greet him at his destination
(Romans), and one to Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna and disciple of the Apostle
John.
The themes with which he is chiefly concerned in his letters are (1) the
importance of maintaining Christian unity in love and sound doctrine (with
warnings against factionalism and against the heresy of Docetism -- the belief
that Christ was not fully human and did not have a material body or really
suffer and die), (2) the role of the clergy as a focus of Christian unity, (3)
Christian martyrdom as a glorious privilege, eagerly to be grasped.
He writes:
I am God's wheat, ground fine by the lion's teeth to be made purest bread for
Christ.
No early pleasures, no kingdoms of this world can benefit me in any way. I
prefer death in Christ Jesus to power over the farthest limits of the earth. He
who died in place of us is the one object of my quest. He who rose for our
sakes is my one desire. The time for my birth is close at hand. Forgive me, my
brothers. Do not stand in the way of my birth to real life; do not wish me
stillborn. My desire is to belong to God. Do not, then, hand me back to the
world. do not try to tempt me with material things. Let me attain pure light.
Only on my arrival there can I be fully a human being. Give me the privilege of
imitating the passion of my God.