OREMUS: 16 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 15 19:40:29 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, October 16, 2006
Nicholas Ridley, Bishop of London,
and Hugh Latimer, Bishop of Worcester, Martyrs, 1555

our life, our health, our salvation.
You look with mercy on your people;
you stip up in us a saving faith,
that believing, we may be healed,
and being healed, we may worthily give you thanks.

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Job 28:12-29:10]:

'But where shall wisdom be found?
   And where is the place of understanding?
Mortals do not know the way to it,
   and it is not found in the land of the living.
The deep says, "It is not in me",
   and the sea says, "It is not with me."
It cannot be bought for gold,
   and silver cannot be weighed out as its price.
It cannot be valued in the gold of Ophir,
   in precious onyx or sapphire.
Gold and glass cannot equal it,
   nor can it be exchanged for jewels of fine gold.
No mention shall be made of coral or of crystal;
   the price of wisdom is above pearls.
The chrysolite of Ethiopia cannot compare with it,
   nor can it be valued in pure gold.

'Where then does wisdom come from?
   And where is the place of understanding?
It is hidden from the eyes of all living,
   and concealed from the birds of the air.
Abaddon and Death say,
   "We have heard a rumour of it with our ears."

'God understands the way to it,
   and he knows its place.
For he looks to the ends of the earth,
   and sees everything under the heavens.
When he gave to the wind its weight,
   and apportioned out the waters by measure;
when he made a decree for the rain,
   and a way for the thunderbolt;
then he saw it and declared it;
   he established it, and searched it out.
And he said to humankind,
"Truly, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom;
   and to depart from evil is understanding." '

Job again took up his discourse and said:
'O that I were as in the months of old,
   as in the days when God watched over me;
when his lamp shone over my head,
   and by his light I walked through darkness;
when I was in my prime,
   when the friendship of God was upon my tent;
when the Almighty was still with me,
   when my children were around me;
when my steps were washed with milk,
   and the rock poured out for me streams of oil!
When I went out to the gate of the city,
   when I took my seat in the square,
the young men saw me and withdrew,
   and the aged rose up and stood;
the nobles refrained from talking,
   and laid their hands on their mouths;
the voices of princes were hushed,
   and their tongues stuck to the roof of their mouths.

HYMN
Words: Patrick Michaels, alt. (c)
Tune: Salve, Regina coelitum

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w447.html

Who comes from God, as Word and Breath?
Holy Wisdom.
Who holds the keys of life and death?
Mighty Wisdom:
Crafter and Creator too,
eldest, she makes all things new;
she completes what God would do.
Wisest one, radiant one,
welcome, holy Wisdom!

Who lifts her voice for all to hear?
Joyful Wisdom.
Who shapes a thought and makes it clear?
Truthful Wisdom:
Teacher, drawing out our best,
magnifies what we invest,
names our truth, directs our quest.
Wisest one, radiant one,
welcome, holy Wisdom!

Whom should we seek with all our heart?
Loving Wisdom.
Who once revealed will not depart?
Faithful Wisdom:
Partner, Counselor, Comforter,
love has found none lovelier;
life is gladness lived with her.
Wisest one, radiant one,
welcome, holy Wisdom!

SECOND READING [Revelation 8:1-5]:

When the Lamb opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an
hour. And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and seven trumpets were
given to them.
Another angel with a golden censer came and stood at the altar; he was given a great
quantity of incense to offer with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar that is
before the throne. And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, rose
before God from the hand of the angel. Then the angel took the censer and filled it
with fire from the altar and threw it on the earth; and there were peals of thunder,
rumblings, flashes of lightning, and an earthquake.

Creator and Sustainer of life, God,
who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others' actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

God of life,
when our lives have no music in them,
when our hearts are lonely and our souls have lost their courage;
flood the path with light,
turn our hearts to skies full of promise
and quicken our spirits with the memory of your heroes and saints;
through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Keep us, O Lord,
constant in faith and zealous in witness,
after the examples of your servants Hugh Latimer and Nicholas Ridley;
that we may live in your fear, die in your favor, and rest in your peace;
for the sake of Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,

Give us your saving grace until that day when you welcome us
to the heavenly banquet beyond compare. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1989 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

When Henry VIII of England died, he left three heirs: his son Edward and his
two daughters, Mary and Elizabeth. Edward succeeded to the throne and was a
staunch Protestant (or at least his advisors were). Under his rule, the church
services, previously in Latin, were translated into English, and other changes
were made.
When Edward died, the throne passed to his sister Mary, who was firmly
Roman Catholic in her beliefs. She determined to return England to union with
the Pope. With more diplomacy, she might have succeeded. But she was
headstrong and would take no advice. Her mother had been Spanish, and she
determined to marry the heir to the throne of Spain, not realizing how much
her people (of all religious persuasions) feared that this would make England a
province of the Spanish Empire.
Mary insisted that the best way to deal with heresy was to burn as many
heretics as possible. (It is worth noting that her husband was opposed to this.)
In the course of a five-year reign, she lost all the English holdings on the
continent of Europe, she lost the affection of her people, and she lost any
chance of a peaceful religious settlement in England. Of the nearly three
hundred persons burned by her orders, the most famous are the Oxford
Martyrs, commemorated today.
Hugh Latimer was famous as a preacher. He was Bishop of Worcester in the
time of King Henry, but resigned in protest against the King's refusal to allow
the Protestant reforms that Latimer desired. Latimer's sermons speak little of
doctrine; he preferred to urge men to upright living and devoutness in prayer.
But when Mary came to the throne, he was arrested, tried for heresy, and
burned together with his friend Nicholas Ridley. His last words at the stake are
well known: "Be of good cheer, Master Ridley, and play the man, for we shall
this day light such a candle in England as I trust by God's grace shall never be
put out."
Nicholas Ridley became an adherent of the Protestant cause while a student at
Cambridge. He was a friend of Archbishop Cranmer and became private
chaplain first to Cranmer and then to King Henry. Under the reign of Edward,
he became bishop of Rochester, and was part of the committee that drew up
the first English Book of Common Prayer. When Mary came to the throne, he
was arrested, tried, and burned with Latimer at Oxford on 16 October 1555.
[James Kiefer]