OREMUS: 15 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 14 22:48:32 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, October 15, 2006
The Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost

our life, our health, our salvation.
You look with mercy on your people;
you stip up in us a saving faith,
that believing, we may be healed,
and being healed, we may worthily give you thanks.

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29:10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.

Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord
and you are exalted as head over all.

Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.

In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.

And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.

For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Job 26:1-14]:

Then Job answered:
'How you have helped one who has no power!
   How you have assisted the arm that has no strength!
How you have counselled one who has no wisdom,
   and given much good advice!
With whose help have you uttered words,
   and whose spirit has come forth from you?
The shades below tremble,
   the waters and their inhabitants.
Sheol is naked before God,
   and Abaddon has no covering.
He stretches out Zaphon over the void,
   and hangs the earth upon nothing.
He binds up the waters in his thick clouds,
   and the cloud is not torn open by them.
He covers the face of the full moon,
   and spreads over it his cloud.
He has described a circle on the face of the waters,
   at the boundary between light and darkness.
The pillars of heaven tremble,
   and are astounded at his rebuke.
By his power he stilled the Sea;
   by his understanding he struck down Rahab.
By his wind the heavens were made fair;
   his hand pierced the fleeing serpent.
These are indeed but the outskirts of his ways;
   and how small a whisper do we hear of him!
   But the thunder of his power who can understand?'

HYMN
Words: Christopher Wordsworth, 1862
Tune: Deerhurst, Moultrie

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h081a.html

Hark! the sound of holy voices,
chanting at the crystal sea,
Alleluia, alleluia,
alleluia! Lord, to thee!
Multitude which none can number
like the stars in glory stands,
clothed in white apparel, holding
palms of victory in their hands.

Patriarch, and holy prophet,
who prepared the way for Christ,
king, apostle, saint, confessor,
martyr and evangelist,
saintly maiden, godly matron,
widows who have watched to prayer,
joined in holy concert, singing
to the Lord of all, are there.

They have come from tribulation,
and have washed their robes in blood,
washed them in the blood of Jesus;
tried they were, and firm they stood;
mocked, imprisoned, stoned, tormented,
sawn asunder, slain with sword;
they have conquered death and Satan
by the might of Christ the Lord.

Marching with thy cross, their banner,
they have triumphed following
thee, the Captain of salvation,
thee, their Savior and their King.
Gladly, Lord, with thee they suffered;
gladly, Lord, with thee they died;
and by death to life immortal
they were born and glorified.

Now they reign in heavenly glory,
now they walk in golden light,
now they drink, as from a river,
holy bliss and infinite;
love and peace they taste for ever,
and all truth and knowledge see
in the beatific vision
of the blessŠd Trinity.

God of God, the One begotten,
Light of light, Emmanuel,
in whose body joined together
all the saints forever dwell;
pour upon us of thy fullness
that we may for evermore
God the Father, God the Son, and
God the Holy Ghost adore.

SECOND READING [Revelation 7:9-17]:

After this I looked, and there was a great multitude that no one could count, from
every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and
before the Lamb, robed in white, with palm branches in their hands. They cried out in a
loud voice, saying,
'Salvation belongs to our God who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb!'
And all the angels stood around the throne and around the elders and the four living
creatures, and they fell on their faces before the throne and worshipped God,
singing,
'Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom
and thanksgiving and honour
and power and might
be to our God for ever and ever! Amen.'

Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, 'Who are these, robed in white, and
where have they come from?' I said to him, 'Sir, you are the one that knows.' Then he
said to me, 'These are they who have come out of the great ordeal; they have washed
their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
For this reason they are before the throne of God,
   and worship him day and night within his temple,
   and the one who is seated on the throne will shelter them.
They will hunger no more, and thirst no more;
   the sun will not strike them,
   nor any scorching heat;
for the Lamb at the centre of the throne will be their shepherd,
   and he will guide them to springs of the water of life,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.'

follow.

Prayer:
Let us pray for the whole people of God
and for all people according to their needs,
saying: "Hear our prayer."

For the whole church, that, true to its calling,
it may witness to the radical and boundless love of God
and proclaim God's love in word and deed.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the people of our church, for our bishops,
for all pastors and teachers, that strengthened by Word and Sacrament,
our witness in this land may be full of faith and love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the baptized, that we may embrace our lives
and the lives of others with courage and compassion,
unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May our care be a sign of God's care.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For those who govern the nations of the world,
that they may use their authority in wisdom, kindness and peacefulness.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for the human community.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression,
that you would rescue them when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear,
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all who suffer illness, distress or grief,
especially those we name silently or aloud ... ,
that you would grant them comfort, healing and release.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For the saints of every time and generation,
that you would keep us all in the bonds of love
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
O God, of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

O God of Love, hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

O God,
you have made heaven and earth
and all that is good;
and in Jesus Christ you show us
that secret of joy is a heart set free from selfish desires:
Help us to delight in simple things
and to rejoice in the richness of your bounty;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Give us your saving grace until that day when you welcome us
to the heavenly banquet beyond compare. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is Copyright:   1995, 1999 Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Canada. (Lift Up
Your Hearts,  http://www.worship.ca/)

Westminster / John
Knox Press.