OREMUS: 14 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Oct 13 23:26:25 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, October 14, 2006
Teresa of Avila, Teacher of the Faith, 1582

Blessed are you, O God, the rock of our salvation,
whose gifts can never fail.
You deepen the faith you have already bestowed
and let its power be seen in your servants.

Unless the Lord builds the house,*
 their labour is in vain who build it.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,*
 in vain the guard keeps vigil.
It is in vain that you rise so early
   and go to bed so late;*
 vain, too, to eat the bread of toil,
   for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Children are a heritage from the Lord,*
 and the fruit of the womb is a gift.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior*
 are the children of one's youth.
Happy are they who have their quiver full of them!*
 they shall not be put to shame
   when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

Psalm 128

Happy are they all who fear the Lord,*
 and who follow in his ways!
You shall eat the fruit of your labour;*
 happiness and prosperity shall be yours.
Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine
   within your house,*
 your children like olive shoots round about your table.
Whoever fears the Lord*
 shall thus indeed be blessed.
The Lord bless you from Zion,*
 and may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem
   all the days of your life.
May you live to see your children's children;*
 may peace be upon Israel.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Job 20:1-29]:

Then Zophar the Naamathite answered:
'Pay attention! My thoughts urge me to answer,
   because of the agitation within me.
I hear censure that insults me,
   and a spirit beyond my understanding answers me.
Do you not know this from of old,
   ever since mortals were placed on earth,
that the exulting of the wicked is short,
   and the joy of the godless is but for a moment?
Even though they mount up high as the heavens,
   and their head reaches to the clouds,
they will perish for ever like their own dung;
   those who have seen them will say, "Where are they?"
They will fly away like a dream, and not be found;
   they will be chased away like a vision of the night.
The eye that saw them will see them no more,
   nor will their place behold them any longer.
Their children will seek the favour of the poor,
   and their hands will give back their wealth.
Their bodies, once full of youth,
   will lie down in the dust with them.

'Though wickedness is sweet in their mouth,
   though they hide it under their tongues,
though they are loath to let it go,
   and hold it in their mouths,
yet their food is turned in their stomachs;
   it is the venom of asps within them.
They swallow down riches and vomit them up again;
   God casts them out of their bellies.
They will suck the poison of asps;
   the tongue of a viper will kill them.
They will not look on the rivers,
   the streams flowing with honey and curds.
They will give back the fruit of their toil,
   and will not swallow it down;
from the profit of their trading
   they will get no enjoyment.
For they have crushed and abandoned the poor,
   they have seized a house that they did not build.

'They knew no quiet in their bellies;
   in their greed they let nothing escape.
There was nothing left after they had eaten;
   therefore their prosperity will not endure.
In full sufficiency they will be in distress;
   all the force of misery will come upon them.
To fill their belly to the full
   God will send his fierce anger into them,
   and rain it upon them as their food.
They will flee from an iron weapon;
   a bronze arrow will strike them through.
It is drawn forth and comes out of their body,
   and the glittering point comes out of their gall;
   terrors come upon them.
Utter darkness is laid up for their treasures;
   a fire fanned by no one will devour them;
   what is left in their tent will be consumed.
The heavens will reveal their iniquity,
   and the earth will rise up against them.
The possessions of their house will be carried away,
   dragged off on the day of God's wrath.
This is the portion of the wicked from God,
   the heritage decreed for them by God.'

HYMN
Words: Teresa of Avila (1545-1582); translation by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Tune: Taize

Nada te turbe, nada te espante.
Quien a Dios tiene nada le falta.
Nada te turbe, nada te espante.
Solo Dios basta.

Let nothing disturb thee,
Nothing affright thee;
All things are passing,
God never changeth!
Patient endurance attaineth to all things;
Who God possesseth in nothing is wanting;
Alone God sufficeth.
SECOND READING [Matthew 15:1-9]:

Then Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 'Why do your
disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands before they
eat.' He answered them, 'And why do you break the commandment of God for the sake
of your tradition? For God said, "Honour your father and your mother," and, "Whoever
speaks evil of father or mother must surely die." But you say that whoever tells father or
mother, "Whatever support you might have had from me is given to God", then that
person need not honour the father. So, for the sake of your tradition, you make void the
word of God. You hypocrites! Isaiah prophesied rightly about you when he said:
"This people honours me with their lips,
   but their hearts are far from me;
in vain do they worship me,
   teaching human precepts as doctrines." '

In every time of trouble,
you, O God, are a very present help.
You are with us, sustaining our world in freedom,
restraining the powers of darkness, of death and of destruction;
embracing us all with arms of love, to enfold and to hold.
And so we bring to you our prayers for ourselves,
for those we love, and for our world.

We pray for ourselves and our own needs:
Whatever you would have us to be;
whatever we need to love our neighbor as ourselves,
whatever we need to love one another:
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those we love:
Our hopes and dreams for them;
our anguish and anxiety on their behalf;
our desire to make life easier for them.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for our world:
Our pain at what we have done to creation;
our wonder at the beauty of that which we have not yet spoiled;
our calling to establish justice and peace.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

Creator God,
whose Son is the true vine and we the branches:
make us fruitful in your service,
sharing your love and joy and peace
with all your children,
in the power of the Spirit
of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Merciful God,
who by your Spirit raised up your servant Teresa of Avila
to reveal to your Church the way of perfection:
grant that her teaching
may awaken in us a longing for holiness,
until we attain to the perfect union of love
in Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,

Bless the work entrusted to our hands,
that we may offer you an abundance of just works,
a rich harvest of peace. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Teresa de Cepeda y Ahumada (later known as Teresa de Jesus) was born in
Avila, Spain, 28 March 1515, one of ten children whose mother died when she
was fifteen. Her family was of partly Jewish ancestry. Teresa, having read the
letters of Jerome, decided to become a nun, and when she was 20, she entered
the Carmelite convent in Avila. There she fell seriously ill, was in a coma for a
while, and partially paralyzed for three years. In her early years as a nun, she
was, by her account, assiduous in prayer while sick but lax and lukewarm in
her prayers and devotions when the sickness had passed. However, her prayer
life eventually deepened, she began to have visions and a vivid sense of the
presence of God, and was converted to a life of extreme devotion.
In 1560 she resolved to reform the monastery that had, she thought, departed
from the order's original intention and become insufficiently austere. Her
proposed reforms included strict enclosure (the nuns were not to go to parties
and social gatherings in town, or to have social visitors at the convent, but to
stay in the convent and pray and study most of their waking hours) and
discalcing (literally, taking off one's shoes, a symbol of poverty, humility, and
the simple life, uncluttered by luxuries and other distractions). In 1562 she
opened a new monastery in Avila, over much opposition in the town and from
the older monastery. At length Teresa was given permission to proceed with
her reforms, and she travelled throughout Spain establishing seventeen houses
of Carmelites of the Strict (or Reformed) Observance (the others are called
Carmelites of the Ancient Observance). The reformed houses were small, poor,
disciplined, and strictly enclosed. Teresa died 4 October 1582.
Teresa is reported to have been very attractive in person, witty, candid, and
affectionate. She is remembered both for her practical achievements and
organizing skill and for her life of contemplative prayer. Her books are read as
aids to the spiritual life by many Christians of all denominations. Her Life is her
autobiography to 1562; The Way of Perfection is a treatise on the Christian
walk, written primarily for her sisters but of help to others as well; The Book
of Foundations deals with establishing, organizing and overseeing the daily
functioning of religious communities; The Interior Castle (or The Castle of The
Soul) deals with the life of Christ in the heart of the believer. Most of these are
available in paperback. 31 of her poems and 458 of her letters survive.
Christ has no body now but yours
No hands, no feet on earth but yours
Yours are the eyes through which He looks
compassion on this world
Christ has no body now on earth but yours.