OREMUS: 11 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Oct 10 21:58:02 GMT 2006

There you will find links to each day's Oremus, an archive for the past year, and the lectionary and
calendar we follow. You can access our online hymnal, collection of liturgical texts and a NRSV
Bible Browser at our site. We also provide links to other forms of Anglican daily prayer and
a site to leave and view prayer requests. An opportunity to support our work is also now
available.

OREMUS for Wednesday, October 11, 2006  Elizabeth Fry, Prison
Reformer, 1845
Edith Cavell, Nurse, 1915

Blessed are you, O God, the rock of our salvation,
whose gifts can never fail.
You deepen the faith you have already bestowed
and let its power be seen in your servants.

An opening canticle may be sung.  <!--
http://www.oremus.org/ocan.html
 Psalm
62

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation. He alone is my rock and my
salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken. How
long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall? They seek
only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight. They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse. For God alone my soul in
silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him. He alone is my rock and my
salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken. In God is my
safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge. Put your trust in him
always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted. On the scales
they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it. God
has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God. Steadfast love is yours, O
Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.
 Psalm
63

O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,    as in a barren
and dry land where there is no water; Therefore I have gazed upon
you in your holy place,*
 that I might behold your power and your glory. For your
loving-kindness is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise. So will I bless you as long as I
live*
 and lift up my hands in your name. My soul is content, as
with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips, When I
remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches. For you have
been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice. My soul
clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.

Glory and Honor (Revelation 4:11; 5:9b)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.

For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.

You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion; For he has strengthened the bars
of your gates;*
 he has blessed your children within you. He has
established peace on your borders;*
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat. He sends out his
command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly. He gives snow like
wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes. He scatters his hail like
bread crumbs;*
 who can stand against his cold? He sends forth his word
and melts them;*
 he blows with his wind and the waters flow. He declares
his word to Jacob,*
 his statutes and his judgements to Israel. He has not done
so to any other nation;*

FIRST READING [Job 15:1-35]:

Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered:
'Should the wise answer with windy knowledge,
   and fill themselves with the east wind?
Should they argue in unprofitable talk,
   or in words with which they can do no good?
But you are doing away with the fear of God,
   and hindering meditation before God.
For your iniquity teaches your mouth,
   and you choose the tongue of the crafty.
Your own mouth condemns you, and not I;
   your own lips testify against you.

'Are you the firstborn of the human race?
   Were you brought forth before the hills?
Have you listened in the council of God?
   And do you limit wisdom to yourself?
What do you know that we do not know?
   What do you understand that is not clear to us?
The grey-haired and the aged are on our side,
   those older than your father.
Are the consolations of God too small for you,
   or the word that deals gently with you?
Why does your heart carry you away,
   and why do your eyes flash,
so that you turn your spirit against God,
   and let such words go out of your mouth?
What are mortals, that they can be clean?
   Or those born of woman, that they can be righteous? God puts no trust even in his holy
ones,
   and the heavens are not clean in his sight;
how much less one who is abominable and corrupt,
   one who drinks iniquity like water!

'I will show you; listen to me;
   what I have seen I will declare
what sages have told,
   and their ancestors have not hidden,
to whom alone the land was given,
   and no stranger passed among them.
The wicked writhe in pain all their days,
   through all the years that are laid up for the ruthless. Terrifying sounds are in their
ears;
   in prosperity the destroyer will come upon them.
They despair of returning from darkness,
   and they are destined for the sword.
They wander abroad for bread, saying, "Where is it?"
   They know that a day of darkness is ready at hand;
distress and anguish terrify them;
   they prevail against them, like a king prepared for battle. Because they stretched out their
hands against God,
   and bid defiance to the Almighty,
running stubbornly against him
   with a thick-bossed shield;
because they have covered their faces with their fat,
   and gathered fat upon their loins,
they will live in desolate cities,
   in houses that no one should inhabit,
   houses destined to become heaps of ruins;
they will not be rich, and their wealth will not endure,    nor will they strike root in the
earth;
they will not escape from darkness;
   the flame will dry up their shoots,
   and their blossom will be swept away by the wind.
Let them not trust in emptiness, deceiving themselves;    for emptiness will be their
recompense.
It will be paid in full before their time,
   and their branch will not be green.
They will shake off their unripe grape, like the vine,    and cast off their blossoms, like the
olive tree.
For the company of the godless is barren,
   and fire consumes the tents of bribery.
They conceive mischief and bring forth evil
   and their heart prepares deceit.'

HYMN
Words:  Latin, eighteenth century; trans. Isaac Williams, 1839
Tune: Christus, der ist mein Leben, St. Alphege

<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o258.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o258.html
O heavenly Jerusalem,
of everlasting halls,
thrice blessè are the people
thou storest in thy walls.

Thou art the golden mansion
where saints for ever sing,
the seat of God's own chosen,
the palace of the King.

There God for ever sitteth,
himself of all the crown;
the Lamb, the Light that shineth
and never goeth down.

Naught to this seat approacheth
their sweet peace to molest;
they sing their God for ever,
nor day nor night they rest.

Sure hope doth thither lead us;
our longings thither tend;
may short-lived toil ne'er daunt us
for joys that cannot end.

To Christ, the Sun that lightens
his Church above, below;
to Father and to Spirit
all things created bow.

SECOND READING [Matthew 5:27-36]:

Jesus said, 'You have heard that it was said, "You shall not commit adultery." But I say to you
that everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his
heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away; it is better for you to lose
one of your members than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand
causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away; it is better for you to lose one of your members
than for your whole body to go into hell.
'It was also said, "Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce." But I say
to you that anyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of unchastity, causes her to
commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
'Again, you have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, "You shall not swear falsely, but
carry out the vows you have made to the Lord." But I say to you, Do not swear at all, either by
heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is
the city of the great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or
black.'

Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Creator God,
from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, we commend all your
people
to your tender care and safekeeping.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Protect all who are work in mines, tend machinery,
or travel by land, sea or air.
Defend those in mortal danger because of evil surrounding them. Fill every hospital and
nursing home
with your spirit of healing and love.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Govern our nation and its leaders,
that all that mars our social life and causes misery may be relieved, that each person may
have access to work, homes, food and health care. Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Break down the suspicions and fears that keep the nations apart. Rebuke those who foster
prejudice.
Teach us all to live together in the peace of Jesus Christ. Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Grant to every member of your Church
the faith that removes obstacles,
the hope that makes all things new
and the love that brings deliverance,
that we more effectively serve you
and bring others to the knowledge of your truth.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Eternal Love,
our hearts are restless until they rest in you.
Let your glory shine on us,
that our lives may proclaim your goodness,
our work give you honour,
and our voices praise you forever;
for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Father,
from whom every family in heaven and on earth takes its name, your servants Elizabeth Fry
and Edith Cavell
revealed your goodness in a life of service:
grant that we who have gathered in faith around this table may like them know the love of
Christ
that surpasses knowledge
and be filled with all your fullness;

Bless the work entrusted to our hands,
that we may offer you an abundance of just works,
a rich harvest of peace. Amen.

The psalms are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society
of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission.
The canticle is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version (Anglicized Edition), copyright
(c) 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of  the National Council of the
Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich,
1999.

The first collect is from _Daily Prayer_, copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal
Church, 1998. Used with permission.
<a
href="http://www.scottishepiscopal.com">http://www.scottishepiscopal.com</ a>

The second collect is slightly adapted from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2000.
Elizabeth Gurney was born at Earlham in Norfolk in 1780. At the age of twenty, she married
Joseph Fry, a London merchant and a strict Quaker. She was admitted as a minister in the Society
of Friends and became a noted preacher. The appalling state of the prisons came to her notice and
she devoted much of her time to the welfare of female prisoners in Newgate. In 1820 she took
part in the formation of a nightly shelter for the homeless in London. She travelled all over Europe
in the cause of prison reform. She was a woman of a strong Christian and evangelistic impulse and
this inspired all her work. She died on this day in 1845.
Edith Cavell was born into a clergy family at Swardeston in 1865. After life as a governess, she
trained as a nurse, ending up working with the Red Cross in Belgium in 1907. On the outbreak of
the First World War, she became involved in caring for the wounded on both sides. She refused
repatriation and then began smuggling British soldiers from Belgium into Holland. In 1915 she
was arrested and brought to trial. Protecting those who worked with her, she was sentenced to
death and executed by firing squad on this day in the year 1915. She went to her death calmly,
forgiving her executioners, convinced she had been doing her duty as a Christian. [Exciting
Holiness]