OREMUS: 10 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 9 18:23:44 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Paulinus, Bishop of York, Missionary, 644

Blessed are you, O God, the rock of our salvation,
whose gifts can never fail.
You deepen the faith you have already bestowed
and let its power be seen in your servants.

Psalm 68:3-11,19-20,24-31,35-36

Let the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;*
 let them also be merry and joyful.
Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
   exalt him who rides upon the heavens;*
 Yahweh is his name, rejoice before him!
Father of orphans, defender of widows,*
 God in his holy habitation!
God gives the solitary a home
   and brings forth prisoners into freedom;*
 but the rebels shall live in dry places.
O God, when you went forth before your people,*
 when you marched through the wilderness,
The earth shook and the skies poured down rain,
   at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,*
 at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
You sent a gracious rain, O God, upon your inheritance;*
 you refreshed the land when it was weary.
Your people found their home in it;*
 in your goodness, O God,
   you have made provision for the poor.
The Lord gave the word;*
 great was the company of women who bore the tidings:
Blessed be the Lord day by day,*
 the God of our salvation, who bears our burdens.
He is our God, the God of our salvation;*
 God is the Lord, by whom we escape death.
Your procession is seen, O God,*
 your procession into the sanctuary, my God and my King.
The singers go before, musicians follow after,*
 in the midst of maidens playing upon the hand-drums.
Bless God in the congregation;*
 bless the Lord, you that are of the fountain of Israel.
There is Benjamin, least of the tribes, at the head;
   the princes of Judah in a company;*
 and the princes of Zebulon and Naphtali.
Send forth your strength, O God;*
 establish, O God, what you have wrought for us.
Kings shall bring gifts to you,*
 for your temple's sake at Jerusalem.
Rebuke the wild beast of the reeds,*
 and the peoples, a herd of wild bulls with its calves.
Trample down those who lust after silver;*
 scatter the peoples that delight in war.
Ascribe power to God;*
 his majesty is over Israel;
   his strength is in the skies.
How wonderful is God in his holy places!*
 the God of Israel giving strength and power to his people!
   Blessed be God!

Psalm 70

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let those who seek my life
   be ashamed and altogether dismayed;*
 let those who take pleasure in my misfortune
   draw back and be disgraced.
Let those who say to me 'Aha!'
   and gloat over me turn back,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;*
 let those who love your salvation say for ever,
   'Great is the Lord!'
But as for me, I am poor and needy;*
 come to me speedily, O God.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 O Lord, do not tarry.

A Song of God's Chosen One (Isaiah 11.1-4a,6,9)

There shall come forth a shoot from the stock of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.

And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,

The spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.

He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
or decide by what his ears hear,

But with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid.

The calf, the lion and the fatling together,
with a little child to lead them.

They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.

FIRST READING [Job 11:1-20]:

Then Zophar the Naamathite answered:
'Should a multitude of words go unanswered,
   and should one full of talk be vindicated?
Should your babble put others to silence,
   and when you mock, shall no one shame you?
For you say, "My conduct is pure,
   and I am clean in God's sight."
But O that God would speak,
   and open his lips to you,
and that he would tell you the secrets of wisdom!
   For wisdom is many-sided.
Know then that God exacts of you less than your guilt deserves.

'Can you find out the deep things of God?
   Can you find out the limit of the Almighty?
It is higher than heaven what can you do?
   Deeper than Sheol what can you know?
Its measure is longer than the earth,
   and broader than the sea.
If he passes through, and imprisons,
   and assembles for judgement, who can hinder him?
For he knows those who are worthless;
   when he sees iniquity, will he not consider it?
But a stupid person will get understanding,
   when a wild ass is born human.

'If you direct your heart rightly,
   you will stretch out your hands towards him.
If iniquity is in your hand, put it far away,
   and do not let wickedness reside in your tents.
Surely then you will lift up your face without blemish;
   you will be secure, and will not fear.
You will forget your misery;
   you will remember it as waters that have passed away.
And your life will be brighter than the noonday;
   its darkness will be like the morning.
And you will have confidence, because there is hope;
   you will be protected and take your rest in safety.
You will lie down, and no one will make you afraid;
   many will entreat your favour.
But the eyes of the wicked will fail;
   all way of escape will be lost to them,
   and their hope is to breathe their last.'

HYMN
Words: Elizabeth Cosnett (c)
Tune: St. Bernard, Epworth, Caithness, Haresfield

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c010.html

Can we by searching find out God
or formulate his ways?
Can numbers measure what he is
or words contain his praise?

Although his being is too bright
for human eyes to scan,
his meaning lights our shadowed world
through Christ, the Son of Man.

Our boastfulness is turned to shame,
our profit counts as loss,
when earthly values stand beside
the manger and the cross.

We may there recognize his light,
may kindle in its rays,
find there the source of penitence,
the starting-point of praise.

There God breaks in upon our search,
makes birth and death his own;
he speaks to us in human terms
to make his glory known.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 7:10-16]:

To the married I give this command not I but the Lord that the wife should not
separate from her husband (but if she does separate, let her remain unmarried or else
be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband should not divorce his wife.
To the rest I say I and not the Lord that if any believer has a wife who is an
unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. And if any
woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she
should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy through his wife,
and the unbelieving wife is made holy through her husband. Otherwise, your children
would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbelieving partner separates,
let it be so; in such a case the brother or sister is not bound. It is to peace that God has
called you. Wife, for all you know, you might save your husband. Husband, for all you
know, you might save your wife.

Aware of God's gracious love for all creation,
let us pray for Christ's Church, the world and all who stand in need.

For the Church throughout the world,
that we  may proclaim the Good News
and bring reconciliation and healing to this planet.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all Christians,
that they may know the power of the living Christ
and serve in faithful discipleship
filled with grace and love and peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For our country,
that its leaders may govern wisely and with compassion;
that its people may act responsibly toward one another
with fairness and for the common good.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all nations,
that all peoples shall know peace with justice,
that together they may recognize their common interdependence
in sharing the resources of earth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the ties that bind us together,
that family members may respect one another with tender care,
that children are reared with a trust in the goodness of life,
that relations between friend and friend be open in loving honesty.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For those who are in trouble or in danger,
that regardless of circumstance
they may find hope and release
and know that they are not alone, but abide in you.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the spread of God's good news to all the world,
that people shall increasingly seek to know God
and find their rest in him who came to save us,
Jesus Christ our Lord.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Let us walk in the way you love, O God.
Let us love you for yourself.
Let us love you in all all things.
Let us taste the sweetness of your love
and let it work its beauty in us,
until we love with that divine love with which you love us;
through Christ our Lord. Amen.

God our Saviour,
who sent Paulinus to preach and to baptize,
and so to build up your Church:
grant that, inspired by his example,
we may tell all the world of your truth,
that with him we may receive the reward
you prepare for all your faithful servants;

Bless the work entrusted to our hands,
that we may offer you an abundance of just works,
a rich harvest of peace. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1980 Stainer & Bell Ltd.
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188).
For permission to reproduce this text, contact:
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

In the middle 400's the pagan Anglo-Saxons invaded Britain, driving the
Christian Britons north and west into Cornwall, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.
In 597 a band of monks headed by Augustine of Canterbury arrived in
southeastern England, in the kingdom of Kent, and began to evangelize the
people there, with considerable success. In 601 a second group of monks
arrived, including Paulinus (born around 584). Sometime after 616, Edwin, the
pagan king of Northumbria (the region north of the Humber river--roughly the
northern quarter of England), asked for the hand in marriage of Ethelburga, the
sister of the king of Kent. He was told that a Christian princess could not
marry a pagan, but he promised that she would be free to practice her religion,
and that he would listen to Christian preachers, and seriously consider
becoming a Christian himself. At this Ethelburga agreed to marry him, and
went north in 625, taking with her as chaplain the monk Paulinus, who was
consecrated bishop for the purpose. Edwin heard the preaching of Paulinus for
many months, and finally consulted his advisors. Coifi, the high priest of the
pagan religion, advised adopting Christianity, since he said that the pagan
religion had not proved satisfactory. Another nobleman agreed, saying: "Life is
like a banquet hall. Inside is light and fire and warmth and feasting, but outside
it is cold and dark. A sparrow flies in through a window at one end, flies the
length of the hall, and out through a window at the other end. That is what life
is like. At birth we emerge from the unknown, and for a brief while we are here
on this earth, with a fair amount of comfort and happiness. But then we fly out
the window at the other end, into the cold and dark and unknown future. If the
new religion can lighten that darkness for us, then let us follow it." The other
elders and counselors of the king gave similar advice, and so in 627 the king
and many of his chief men were baptized. Other conversions followed, and the
Church in Northumbria flourished. However, six years later, King Edwin was
defeated and killed by Cadwallon of Wales and Penda of Mercia at the battle of
Hatfield Chase. Paulinus left his deacon James in charge of what remained of
the Church there, and took Queen Ethelburga and her children back to Kent by
ship. There the elderly Paulinus was given the bishopric of Rochester, which he
held till his death on 10 October 644. [James Kiefer]