OREMUS: 7 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Oct 6 23:41:35 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, October 7, 2006

Blessed are you, O God of justice,
you hear our cry and save us.
You call us to heed your word to the prophets,
you rouse us to the demand of the gospel
and impel us to carry it out.

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,*
 which cannot be moved, but stands fast for ever.
The hills stand about Jerusalem;*
 so does the Lord stand round about his people,
   from this time forth for evermore.
The sceptre of the wicked shall not hold sway
   over the land allotted to the just,*
 so that the just shall not put their hands to evil.
Show your goodness, O Lord, to those who are good*
 and to those who are true of heart.
As for those who turn aside to crooked ways,
   the Lord will lead them away with the evildoers;*
 but peace be upon Israel.

Psalm 126

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Job 4:1-21]:

Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered:
'If one ventures a word with you, will you be offended?
   But who can keep from speaking?
See, you have instructed many;
   you have strengthened the weak hands.
Your words have supported those who were stumbling,
   and you have made firm the feeble knees.
But now it has come to you, and you are impatient;
   it touches you, and you are dismayed.
Is not your fear of God your confidence,
   and the integrity of your ways your hope?

'Think now, who that was innocent ever perished?
   Or where were the upright cut off?
As I have seen, those who plough iniquity
   and sow trouble reap the same.
By the breath of God they perish,
   and by the blast of his anger they are consumed.
The roar of the lion, the voice of the fierce lion,
   and the teeth of the young lions are broken.
The strong lion perishes for lack of prey,
   and the whelps of the lioness are scattered.

'Now a word came stealing to me,
   my ear received the whisper of it.
Amid thoughts from visions of the night,
   when deep sleep falls on mortals,
dread came upon me, and trembling,
   which made all my bones shake.
A spirit glided past my face;
   the hair of my flesh bristled.
It stood still,
   but I could not discern its appearance.
A form was before my eyes;
   there was silence, then I heard a voice:
"Can mortals be righteous before God?
   Can human beings be pure before their Maker?
Even in his servants he puts no trust,
   and his angels he charges with error;
how much more those who live in houses of clay,
   whose foundation is in the dust,
   who are crushed like a moth.
Between morning and evening they are destroyed;
   they perish for ever without any regarding it.
Their tent-cord is plucked up within them,
   and they die devoid of wisdom."

HYMN
Words: Henry Francis Lyte, 1824
Tune: St. Asaph

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j072.html

Jesus, I my cross have taken,
all to leave and follow thee.
Destitute, despised, forsaken,
thou from hence my all shall be.
Perish every fond ambition,
all I've sought or hoped or known.
Yet how rich is my condition!
God and heaven are still mine own.

Man may trouble and distress me,
'twill but drive me to thy breast.
Life with trials hard may press me;
heaven will bring me sweeter rest.
O 'tis not in grief to harm me
while thy love is left to me;
o 'twere not in joy to charm me,
were that joy unmixed with thee.

Take, my soul, thy full salvation;
rise o'er sin, and fear, and care;
Joy to find in every station
something still to do or bear:
think what Spirit dwells within thee;
what a Father's smile is thine;
what a Savior died to win thee,
child of heaven, shouldst thou repine?

Haste then on from grace to glory,
armed by faith, and winged by prayer,
heaven's eternal day's before thee,
God's own hand shall guide thee there.
Soon shall close thy earthly mission,
swift shall pass thy pilgrim days;
hope soon change to glad fruition,
faith to sight, and prayer to praise.

SECOND READING [Romans 8:1-11]:

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law
of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do: by sending his
own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and to deal with sin, he condemned sin in the
flesh, so that the just requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not
according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the
flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the
Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. To set the mind on the flesh is death,
but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For this reason the mind that is set
on the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God's law indeed it cannot, and
those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
But you are not in the flesh; you are in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God dwells in you.
Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. But if Christ is
in you, though the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of
righteousness. If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he
who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also through his
Spirit that dwells in you.

Eternal God, we praise you for your mighty love given in
Christ's sacrifice on the cross, and the new life we have
received by his resurrection. Especially we thank you for
     the presence of Christ in our weakness and suffering...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the ministry of Word and Sacrament...
     all who work to help and heal...
     sacrifices made to our benefit...
     opportunities for our generous giving...

God of grace, let our concern for others reflect Christ's
self-giving love, not only in our prayers, but also in
our practice. Especially we pray for
     those subjected to tyranny and oppression...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     wounded and injured people...
     those who face death...
     those who may be our enemies...
     the church in Latin America...

God, good beyond all that is good,
fair beyond all that is fair,
in you is calmness, peace and concord.
Heal our divisions,
draw us into your divine nature,
and through the embrace of your love
make us one in Spirit. Amen.

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.