OREMUS: 2 October 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 1 22:12:29 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, October 2, 2006

Blessed are you, O God of justice,
you hear our cry and save us.
You call us to heed your word to the prophets,
you rouse us to the demand of the gospel
and impel us to carry it out.

The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it,*
 the world and all who dwell therein.
For it is he who founded it upon the seas*
 and made it firm upon the rivers of the deep.
'Who can ascend the hill of the Lord?*
 and who can stand in his holy place?'
'Those who have clean hands and a pure heart,*
 who have not pledged themselves to falsehood,
   nor sworn by what is a fraud.
'They shall receive a blessing from the Lord*
 and a just reward from the God of their salvation.'
Such is the generation of those who seek him,*
 of those who seek your face, O God of Jacob.
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord, strong and mighty,
   the Lord, mighty in battle.'
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is he, this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord of hosts,
   he is the King of glory.'

Psalm 29

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Esther 4:1-17]:

When Mordecai learned all that had been done, Mordecai
tore his clothes and put on sackcloth and ashes, and went
through the city, wailing with a loud and bitter cry; he
went up to the entrance of the king's gate, for no one
might enter the king's gate clothed with sackcloth. In
every province, wherever the king's command and his
decree came, there was great mourning among the Jews,
with fasting and weeping and lamenting, and most of them
lay in sackcloth and ashes.
When Esther's maids and her eunuchs came and told her,
the queen was deeply distressed; she sent garments to
clothe Mordecai, so that he might take off his sackcloth;
but he would not accept them. Then Esther called for
Hathach, one of the king's eunuchs, who had been
appointed to attend her, and ordered him to go to
Mordecai to learn what was happening and why. Hathach
went out to Mordecai in the open square of the city in
front of the king's gate, and Mordecai told him all that
had happened to him, and the exact sum of money that
Haman had promised to pay into the king's treasuries for
the destruction of the Jews. Mordecai also gave him a
copy of the written decree issued in Susa for their
destruction, that he might show it to Esther, explain it
to her, and charge her to go to the king to make
supplication to him and entreat him for her people.
Hathach went and told Esther what Mordecai had said. Then
Esther spoke to Hathach and gave him a message for
Mordecai, saying, 'All the king's servants and the people
of the king's provinces know that if any man or woman
goes to the king inside the inner court without being
called, there is but one law all alike are to be put to
death. Only if the king holds out the golden sceptre to
someone, may that person live. I myself have not been
called to come in to the king for thirty days.' When they
told Mordecai what Esther had said, Mordecai told them to
reply to Esther, 'Do not think that in the king's palace
you will escape any more than all the other Jews. For if
you keep silence at such a time as this, relief and
deliverance will rise for the Jews from another quarter,
but you and your father's family will perish. Who knows?
Perhaps you have come to royal dignity for just such a
time as this.' Then Esther said in reply to Mordecai,
'Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a
fast on my behalf, and neither eat nor drink for three
days, night or day. I and my maids will also fast as you
do. After that I will go to the king, though it is
against the law; and if I perish, I perish.' Mordecai
then went away and did everything as Esther had ordered
him.

HYMN
Words: Edward Henry Bickersteth, 1875
Tune: Pax tecum, Song 46

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p017.html

Peace, perfect peace, in this dark world of sin?
The blood of Jesus whispers peace within.

Peace, perfect peace, by thronging duties pressed?
To do the will of Jesus, this is rest.

Peace, perfect peace, with sorrows surging round?
On Jesus' bosom naught but calm is found.

Peace, perfect peace, with loved ones far away?
In Jesus' keeping we are safe, and they.

Peace, perfect peace, our future all unknown?
Jesus we know, and he is on the throne.

Peace, perfect peace, death shadowing us and ours?
Jesus has vanquished death and all its powers.

It is enough: earth's struggles soon shall cease,
and Jesus call us to heaven's perfect peace.

SECOND READING [1 Peter 1:3-9]:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy he has
given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from
the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in
heaven for you, who are being protected by the power of God through faith for a
salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, even if now for a
little while you have had to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your
faith being more precious than gold that, though perishable, is tested by fire may be
found to result in praise and glory and honour when Jesus Christ is revealed. Although
you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you
believe in him and rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy, for you are receiving
the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

We praise you, God our creator, for your handiwork in
shaping and sustaining your wondrous creation. Especially
we thank you for
     the miracle of life and the wonder of living...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     particular blessings coming to us in this day...
     the resources of the earth...
     gifts of creative vision and skillful craft...
     the treasure stored in every human life...

We dare to pray for others, God our Savior, claiming your
love in Jesus Christ for the whole world, committing
ourselves to care for those around us in his name.
Especially we pray for
     those who work for the benefit of others...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who cannot work today...
     those who teach and those who learn...
     people who are poor...
     the Church in Europe...

Holy Spirit, Lord and giver of life, moving force of all things,
root of all creation, purifier of all that lives;
remove from us all that stains our beauty,
wipe away all our sins and anoint all our wounds;
that, awakened by your Spirit,
our lives may shine forth your praise;
now and for ever. Amen.

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

The collect is by Hildegard of Bingen.