OREMUS: 1 December 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Nov 30 17:00:00 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, December 1, 2006
World AIDS Day

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

FIRST READING [Nehemiah 9:1,16-25]:

Now on the twenty-fourth day of this month the people of
Israel were assembled with fasting and in sackcloth, and
with dust on their heads. And Ezra said,'But they and our
ancestors acted presumptuously and stiffened their necks
and did not obey your commandments; they refused to obey,
and were not mindful of the wonders that you performed
among them; but they stiffened their necks and determined
to return to their slavery in Egypt. But you are a God
ready to forgive, gracious and merciful, slow to anger
and abounding in steadfast love, and you did not forsake
them. Even when they had cast an image of a calf for
themselves and said, "This is your God who brought you up
out of Egypt", and had committed great blasphemies, you
in your great mercies did not forsake them in the
wilderness; the pillar of cloud that led them in the way
did not leave them by day, nor the pillar of fire by
night that gave them light on the way by which they
should go. You gave your good spirit to instruct them,
and did not withhold your manna from their mouths, and
gave them water for their thirst. For forty years you
sustained them in the wilderness so that they lacked
nothing; their clothes did not wear out and their feet
did not swell. And you gave them kingdoms and peoples,
and allotted to them every corner, so they took
possession of the land of King Sihon of Heshbon and the
land of King Og of Bashan. You multiplied their
descendants like the stars of heaven, and brought them
into the land that you had told their ancestors to enter
and possess. So the descendants went in and possessed the
land, and you subdued before them the inhabitants of the
land, the Canaanites, and gave them into their hands,
with their kings and the peoples of the land, to do with
them as they pleased. And they captured fortress cities
and a rich land, and took possession of houses filled
with all sorts of goods, hewn cisterns, vineyards, olive
orchards, and fruit trees in abundance; so they ate, and
were filled and became fat, and delighted in your great
goodness.'

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c)
Tune: Angelus, Bow Brickhill, Daniel, Ely, Invercarry, Melcombe
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o043.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o
/o043.html

O Christ, the healer, we have come
to pray for health, to plead for friends.
How can we fail to be restored,
when reached by love that never ends?

>From every ailment flesh endures
our bodies clamor to be freed;
yet in our hearts we would confess
that wholeness is our deepest need.

How strong, O Lord, are our desires,
how weak our knowledge of ourselves!
Release in us those healing truths
unconscious pride resists or shelves.

In conflicts that destroy our health,
we diagnose the world's disease;
our common life declares our ills:
is there no cure, O Christ, for these?

Grant that we all, made one in faith,
in your community may find
the wholeness that, enriching us,
shall reach the whole of humankind.

SECOND READING [1 Thessalonians 5:12-22]:

But we appeal to you, brothers and sisters, to respect those who labour among you,
and have charge of you in the Lord and admonish you; esteem them very highly in love
because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we urge you, beloved, to
admonish the idlers, encourage the faint-hearted, help the weak, be patient with all of
them. See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one
another and to all. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all
circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the
Spirit. Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is
good; abstain from every form of evil.

We praise you, Holy One, for the gift of life,
precious, stubborn, fragile and beautiful;
We are grateful for the time we have to live upon the earth,
to love, to grow, to be.

We give thanks for the will to live
and for our capacity to live fully
all of the days that we are given;
 and for those who have taken
from the devastation of AIDS
the opportunity to build lives of wholeness.

We give you thanks for the partners,
friends, caregivers and families
who have been steadfast in their love;
for the people who have devoted their life's work
to the prevention, treatment and healing of HIV
with passion and commitment,

For the diligent science,
brilliant ideas and insights
that have led to new, life-giving treatments,
For the governments who have acted
to provide health care
for people living with HIV.

We give thanks for those whose prejudice and judgment
have yielded to understanding,
For those who have overcome fear,
indifference or burnout
to embrace a life of caring compassion.

We praise you, Eternal One,
for those who have loved enough
that their hearts have broken,
who cherish the memories of those we have lost,
and for those who console the grieving.

God, grant us the love, courage, tenacity, and will
to continue to make a difference in a world with HIV;
Inspire us to challenge the forces
that allow the needless spread of AIDS to continue --
prejudice, unjust laws, repression, prudery, stigma and fear.
Into your care we trust and lift up those who have contracted HIV.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of truth and justice,
watch over your people in adversity,
that we may know the wonders of your love
and see the glory of your presence;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Encircle us, O God. Keep love within, hatred out.
Encircle us, O God. Keep joy within, despair out.
Encircle us, O God. Keep peace within, disharmony out.
Encircle us, O God. Keep hopes within, discouragement out.

Your presence is in us. Your presence is around us. Your presence is love.
Your presence is in us. Your presence is around us. Your presence is joy.
Your presence is in us. Your presence is around us. Your presence is peace.
Your presence is in us. Your presence is around us. Your presence is hope.
Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Hymn (c) 1969 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

href="http://www.scottishepiscopal.com">http://www.scottishepiscopal.com</
a>

The intercession is adapted from a prayer from The Metropolitan Community
Church.

The closing prayer is from material jointly produced by the Christian
Conference of Asia, the Hong Kong Christian Council, and St. John's
Cathedral HIV Education Centre