OREMUS: 30 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Nov 29 23:42:14 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Thursday, November 30, 2006
Saint Andrew the Apostle

Blessed are you, loving God,
for the witness of your apostle Andrew,
who by his preaching of the Christ, your Son
and by his martyrdom
shared in the suffering and the glory
of all those called by Christ as his followers.

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

Glory and Honor (Revelation 4:11; 5:9b)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.

For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.

You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 47:1-12]:

Then he brought me back to the entrance of the temple; there, water was flowing
from below the threshold of the temple towards the east (for the temple faced
east); and the water was flowing down from below the south end of the threshold
of the temple, south of the altar. Then he brought me out by way of the north gate,
and led me round on the outside to the outer gate that faces towards the east; and
the water was coming out on the south side.
Going on eastwards with a cord in his hand, the man measured one thousand
cubits, and then led me through the water; and it was ankle-deep. Again he
measured one thousand, and led me through the water; and it was knee-deep.
Again he measured one thousand, and led me through the water; and it was up to
the waist. Again he measured one thousand, and it was a river that I could not
cross, for the water had risen; it was deep enough to swim in, a river that could not
be crossed. He said to me, 'Mortal, have you seen this?'
Then he led me back along the bank of the river. As I came back, I saw on the
bank of the river a great many trees on one side and on the other. He said to me,
'This water flows towards the eastern region and goes down into the Arabah; and
when it enters the sea, the sea of stagnant waters, the water will become fresh.
Wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will
be very many fish, once these waters reach there. It will become fresh; and
everything will live where the river goes. People will stand fishing beside the sea
from En-gedi to En-eglaim; it will be a place for the spreading of nets; its fish will
be of a great many kinds, like the fish of the Great Sea. But its swamps and
marshes will not become fresh; they are to be left for salt. On the banks, on both
sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not
wither nor their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh fruit every month, because the
water for them flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their
leaves for healing.'

HYMN
Words: Cecil Frances Alexander, (1818-1895) 1852
Tune: St. Andrew, St. Oswald, Restoration, Merton
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j026.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymna
l/j/j026.html

Jesus calls us; o'er the tumult
of our life's wild, restless sea,
day by day his clear voice soundeth,
saying, "Christian, follow me;"

as, of old, Saint Andrew heart it
by the Galilean lake,
turned from home and toil and kindred,
leaving all for his dear sake.

Jesus calls us from the worship
of the vain world's golden store;
from each idol that would keep us,
saying, "Christian, love me more."

In our joys and in our sorrows,
days of toil and hours of ease,
still he calls, in cares and pleasures,
"Christian, love me more than these."

Jesus calls us! By thy mercies,
Savior, may we hear thy call,
give our hearts to thine obedience,
serve and love thee best of all.

SECOND READING [John 1:35-42]:

The next day John again was standing with two of his
disciples, and as he watched Jesus walk by, he exclaimed,
'Look, here is the Lamb of God!' The two disciples heard
him say this, and they followed Jesus. When Jesus turned
and saw them following, he said to them, 'What are you
looking for?' They said to him, 'Rabbi' (which translated
means Teacher), 'where are you staying?' He said to them,
'Come and see.' They came and saw where he was staying,
and they remained with him that day. It was about four
o'clock in the afternoon. One of the two who heard John
speak and followed him was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother.
He first found his brother Simon and said to him, 'We
have found the Messiah' (which is translated Anointed).
He brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said,
'You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas'
(which is translated Peter).

The <a
href="http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/ccp/canticle.cgi?38">Benedictus
(Morning), the
Magnificat
(Evening), or
Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Encouraged by our fellowship with all the saints,
let us make our prayers to the Father through our Lord
Jesus Christ.

Father, your Son called men and women to leave the
past behind them and to follow him as his disciples in
the way of the cross.  Look with mercy upon those whom he
has called today, marked with the cross and made his
disciples within the Church...
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son told his disciples not to be afraid, and at
Easter breathed on them his gift of peace.  Look with
mercy upon the world into which he sent them out, and
give it that peace for which it longs
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son formed around him a company who were no
longer servants but friends, and he called all those who
obeyed him his brother and sister and mother.  Look with
mercy upon our families and friends and upon the
communities in which we share
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son sent out disciples to preach and to heal the
sick.  Look with mercy on all those who yearn to hear the
good news of salvation, and renew among your people the
gifts of healing
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son promised to those who followed him that they
would sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel
and would share the banquet of the kingdom.  According to
your promise, look with mercy on those who have walked
with Christ in this life and now have passed through
death
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Almighty God,
who gave such grace to your apostle Saint Andrew
that he readily obeyed the call of your Son Jesus Christ
and brought his brother with him
call us by your holy Word,
and give us grace to follow you without delay
and to tell the good news of your kingdom;

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

The intercession is from _Enriching the Christian Year_  SPCK,
compilation (c)Michael Perham 1993.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is

The closing sentence are adapted from _Chalice Worship_, (c)
Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

Most references to Andrew in the New Testament simply include him on a list
of the Twelve Apostles, or group him with his brother, Simon Peter. But he
appears acting as an individual three times in the Gospel of John. When a
number of Greeks (perhaps simply Greek-speeking Jews) wish to speak with
Jesus, they approach Philip, who tells Andrew, and the two of them tell Jesus
(Jn 12:20-22). (It may be relevant here that both "Philip" and "Andrew" are
Greek names.) Before Jesus feeds the Five Thousand, it is Andrew who says,
"Here is a lad with five barley loaves and two fish." (Jn 6:8f) And the first two
disciples whom John reports as attaching themselves to Jesus (Jn 1:35-42) are
Andrew and another disciple (whom John does not name, but who is
commonly supposed to be John himself -- John never mentions himself by
name, a widespread literary convention). Having met Jesus, Andrew then finds
his brother Simon and brings him to Jesus. Thus, on each occasion when he is
mentioned as an individual, it is because he is instrumental in bringing others to
meet the Saviour. In the Episcopal Church, the Fellowship of Saint Andrew is
devoted to encouraging personal evangelism, and the bringing of one's friends
and colleagues to a knowledge of the Gospel of Christ.
Just as Andrew was the first of the Apostles, so his feast is taken in the West to
be the beginning of the Church Year. The First Sunday of Advent is defined to
be the Sunday on or nearest his feast.
Several centuries after the death of Andrew, some of his relics were brought by
a missionary named Rule to Scotland, to a place then known as Fife, but now
known as St. Andrew's, and best known as the site of a world-famous golf
course and club. For this reason, Andrew is the patron of Scotland. [James
Kiefer, abridged]