OREMUS: 28 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Nov 27 22:36:10 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

Blessed be the Lord my rock!*
 who trains my hands to fight and my fingers to battle;
My help and my fortress,
   my stronghold and my deliverer,*
 my shield in whom I trust,
   who subdues the peoples under me.
O Lord, what are we that you should care for us?*
 mere mortals that you should think of us?
We are like a puff of wind;*
 our days are like a passing shadow.
Bow your heavens, O Lord, and come down;*
 touch the mountains and they shall smoke.
Hurl the lightning and scatter them;*
 shoot out your arrows and rout them.
Stretch out your hand from on high;*
 rescue me and deliver me from the great waters,
   from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
O God, I will sing to you a new song;*
 I will play to you on a ten-stringed lyre.
You give victory to kings*
 and have rescued David your servant.
Rescue me from the hurtful sword*
 and deliver me from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
May our sons be like plants
   well nurtured from their youth,*
 and our daughters like sculptured corners of a palace.
May our barns be filled to overflowing*
 with all manner of crops;
May the flocks in our pastures
   increase by thousands and tens of thousands;*
 may our cattle be fat and sleek.
May there be no breaching of the walls,
   no going into exile,*
 no wailing in the public squares.
Happy are the people of whom this is so!*
 happy are the people whose God is the Lord!

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 2:1-7]:

After this David inquired of the Lord, 'Shall I go up
into any of the cities of Judah?' The Lord said to him,
'Go up.' David said, 'To which shall I go up?' He said,
'To Hebron.' So David went up there, along with his two
wives, Ahinoam of Jezreel, and Abigail the widow of Nabal
of Carmel. David brought up the men who were with him,
every one with his household; and they settled in the
towns of Hebron. Then the people of Judah came, and there
they anointed David king over the house of Judah.
When they told David, 'It was the people of Jabesh-gilead
who buried Saul', David sent messengers to the people of
Jabesh-gilead, and said to them, 'May you be blessed by
the Lord, because you showed this loyalty to Saul your
lord, and buried him! Now may the Lord show steadfast
love and faithfulness to you! And I too will reward you
because you have done this thing. Therefore let your
hands be strong, and be valiant; for Saul your lord is
dead, and the house of Judah has anointed me king over
them.'

HYMN
Words: J.R. Darbyshire (1880-1948)
Tune: Emmaus

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

1    O Lord of life, whose power sustains
     The world unseen no less than this-
     One family in Him who reigns,
     Triumphant over death, in bliss;
     To Thee with thankfulness we pray,
     Remembering our dead to-day.

2    As nature's healing through the years
     Reclothes the stricken battle-fields;
     So mercy gives us joy for tears,
     And grief to proud remembrance yields,
     And mindful hearts are glad to keep
     A tryst of love with them that sleep.

3    Not names engraved in marble make
     The best memorials of the dead,
     But burdens shouldered for their sake
     And tasks completed in their stead;
     A braver faith and stronger prayers,
     Devouter worship, nobler cares.

4    O help us in the silence, Lord,
     To hear the whispered call of love,
     And day by day Thy strength afford
     Our work to do, our faith to prove.
     So be Thy blessing richly shed
     On our communion with our dead.

SECOND READING [John 16:25-33]:

Jesus said, 'I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming
when I will no longer speak to you in figures, but will tell you plainly of the Father. On
that day you will ask in my name. I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your
behalf; for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed
that I came from God. I came from the Father and have come into the world; again, I
am leaving the world and am going to the Father.'

His disciples said, 'Yes, now you are speaking plainly, not in any figure of speech!
Now we know that you know all things, and do not need to have anyone question you;
by this we believe that you came from God.' Jesus answered them, 'Do you now
believe? The hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each one
to his home, and you will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone because the Father is
with me. I have said this to you, so that in me you may have peace. In the world you
face persecution. But take courage; I have conquered the world!'

In joyful expectation of his coming to our aid
we pray to Jesus, saying,
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your Church as Lord and Judge.
We pray for ...
Help us to live in the light of your coming
and give us a longing for your rule.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your world as King of the nations.
We pray for ...
Before you rulers will stand in silence.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your people with a message of victory and peace.
We pray for ...
Give us the victory over death, temptation and evil.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to us as Saviour and Comforter.
We pray for ...
Break in to those areas of our lives
where we live with failure and distress,
and set us free to serve you for ever.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to us from heaven with power and great glory,
to lift us up to meet you,
with all your saints and angels,
to live with you for ever.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Vast and immense God,
your actions are beyond our imagination,
the wonders of your grace are infinite:
May your Holy Spirit help us to recognize in the scriptures
certain drops of this vast ocean of your revelation,
that we may discern the multitude of ways
in which your Son Jesus Christ is present with us.
We ask this through him whose love
was revealed on the cross and beyond, Jesus Christ. Amen.

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.