OREMUS: 27 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 26 22:24:02 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Monday, November 27, 2006

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

O Lord God of vengeance,*
 O God of vengeance, show yourself.
Rise up, O Judge of the world;*
 give the arrogant their just deserts.
How long shall the wicked, O Lord,*
 how long shall the wicked triumph?
They bluster in their insolence;*
 all evildoers are full of boasting.
They crush your people, O Lord,*
 and afflict your chosen nation.
They murder the widow and the stranger*
 and put the orphans to death.
Yet they say, 'The Lord does not see,*
 the God of Jacob takes no notice.'
Consider well, you dullards among the people;*
 when will you fools understand?
He that planted the ear, does he not hear?*
 he that formed the eye, does he not see?
He who admonishes the nations, will he not punish?*
 he who teaches all the world, has he no knowledge?
The Lord knows our human thoughts;*
 how like a puff of wind they are.
Happy are they whom you instruct, O Lord!*
 whom you teach out of your law;
To give them rest in evil days,*
 until a pit is dug for the wicked.
For the Lord will not abandon his people,*
 nor will he forsake his own.
For judgement will again be just,*
 and all the true of heart will follow it.
Who rose up for me against the wicked?*
 who took my part against the evildoers?
If the Lord had not come to my help,*
 I should soon have dwelt in the land of silence.
As often as I said, 'My foot has slipped',*
 your love, O Lord, upheld me.
When many cares fill my mind,*
 your consolations cheer my soul.
Can a corrupt tribunal have any part with you,*
 one which frames evil into law?
They conspire against the life of the just*
 and condemn the innocent to death.
But the Lord has become my stronghold,*
 and my God the rock of my trust.
He will turn their wickedness back upon them
   and destroy them in their own malice;*
 the Lord our God will destroy them.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 17:55 18:5]:

When Saul saw David go out against the Philistine, he
said to Abner, the commander of the army, 'Abner, whose
son is this young man?' Abner said, 'As your soul lives,
O king, I do not know.' The king said, 'Inquire whose son
the stripling is.' On David's return from killing the
Philistine, Abner took him and brought him before Saul,
with the head of the Philistine in his hand. Saul said to
him, 'Whose son are you, young man?' And David answered,
'I am the son of your servant Jesse the Bethlehemite.'
When David had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of
Jonathan was bound to the soul of David, and Jonathan
loved him as his own soul. Saul took him that day and
would not let him return to his father's house. Then
Jonathan made a covenant with David, because he loved him
as his own soul. Jonathan stripped himself of the robe
that he was wearing, and gave it to David, and his
armour, and even his sword and his bow and his belt.
David went out and was successful wherever Saul sent him;
as a result, Saul set him over the army. And all the
people, even the servants of Saul, approved.

HYMN
Words: Frederick Lucian Hosmer, 1905
Tune: Maria jung und zart (Hosmer)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t687.html

Thy Kingdom come, O Lord,
wide circling as the sun;
fulfill of old thy word
and make the nations one.

One in the bond of peace,
the service glad and free
of truth and righteousness,
of love and equity.

Speed, speed the longed for time
foretold by raptured seers
the prophecy sublime,
the hope of all the years.

Till rise at last, to span
its firm foundations broad,
the commonwealth of man,
the city of our God.

SECOND READING [Revelation 11:15-19]:

Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying,
'The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord
   and of his Messiah,
and he will reign for ever and ever.'

Then the twenty-four elders who sit on their thrones before God fell on their faces and
worshipped God, singing,
'We give you thanks, Lord God Almighty,
   who are and who were,
for you have taken your great power
   and begun to reign.
The nations raged,
   but your wrath has come,
   and the time for judging the dead,
for rewarding your servants, the prophets
   and saints and all who fear your name,
   both small and great,
and for destroying those who destroy the earth.'

Then God's temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen within
his temple; and there were flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, an
earthquake, and heavy hail.

O God, you are filled with possibility and mystery.
You hold our anxieties and our hopes.

Your faithful forget to praise you, consumed by self-centered busyness,
O God of stillness, come into our hearts.

Your beloved community is baffled and broken,
O God of healing, come into our churches.

Your people wander in the streets without a place to lay their head,
O God our resting place, come into our neighborhoods.

Your world is torn apart by war and conflict,
O God of Peace, come into our world.

Night and day, we wait and pray, for you, our Emmanuel. Amen.

Almighty God,
you remembered the oath you swore to David
and so established a glorious realm of salvation
through Jesus of Nazareth, his heir.
Train our eyes to see your righteous rule,
that, standing firmly in hope
before the powers of this world,
we may heed your voice
and be constant in your truth. Amen.

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.