OREMUS: 26 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 25 18:07:36 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, November 26, 2006
The Last Sunday after Pentecost
[Christ the King]

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

Psalm 97

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
   at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
   and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
   and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12:22-24a,28-29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.

We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.

We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.

We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.

We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,

full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [2 Kings 23:15-25]:

Moreover, the altar at Bethel, the high place erected by
Jeroboam son of Nebat, who caused Israel to sin he pulled
down that altar along with the high place. He burned the
high place, crushing it to dust; he also burned the
sacred pole. As Josiah turned, he saw the tombs there on
the mount; and he sent and took the bones out of the
tombs, and burned them on the altar, and defiled it,
according to the word of the Lord that the man of God
proclaimed, when Jeroboam stood by the altar at the
festival; he turned and looked up at the tomb of the man
of God who had predicted these things. Then he said,
'What is that monument that I see?' The people of the
city told him, 'It is the tomb of the man of God who came
from Judah and predicted these things that you have done
against the altar at Bethel.' He said, 'Let him rest; let
no one move his bones.' So they let his bones alone, with
the bones of the prophet who came out of Samaria.
Moreover, Josiah removed all the shrines of the high
places that were in the towns of Samaria, which kings of
Israel had made, provoking the Lord to anger; he did to
them just as he had done at Bethel. He slaughtered on the
altars all the priests of the high places who were there,
and burned human bones on them. Then he returned to
Jerusalem.
The king commanded all the people, 'Keep the passover to
the Lord your God as prescribed in this book of the
covenant.' No such passover had been kept since the days
of the judges who judged Israel, even during all the days
of the kings of Israel and of the kings of Judah; but in
the eighteenth year of King Josiah this passover was kept
to the Lord in Jerusalem.
Moreover, Josiah did away with the mediums, wizards,
teraphim, idols, and all the abominations that were seen
in the land of Judah and in Jerusalem, so that he
established the words of the law that were written in the
book that the priest Hilkiah had found in the house of
the Lord. Before him there was no king like him, who
turned to the Lord with all his heart, with all his soul,
and with all his might, according to all the law of
Moses; nor did any like him arise after him.

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery (1771-1854)
Tune: Crger, Es flog ein kleins Waldv"glein
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h043.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h
/h043.html

Hail to the Lord's Anointed,
great David's greater Son!
Hail, in the time appointed,
his reign on earth begun!
He comes to break oppression,
to set the captive free,
to take away transgression,
and rule in equity.

He comes, with succour speedy,
to those who suffer wrong;
to help the poor and needy,
and bid the weak be strong;
to give them songs for sighing,
their darkness turn to light,
whose souls, condemned and dying,
were precious in his sight.

He shall come down like showers
upon the fruitful earth;
love, joy, and hope, like flowers,
spring in his path to birth;
before him, on the mountains,
shall peace the herald go;
and righteousness, in fountains,
from hill to valley flow.

Kings shall fall down before him,
and gold and incense bring;
all nations shall adore him,
his praise all people sing;
to him shall prayer unceasing
and daily vows ascend,
his kingdom still increasing,
a kingdom without end.

O'er every foe victorious,
he on his throne shall rest;
from age to age more glorious,
all-blessing and all-blest.
the tide of time shall never
his covenant remove;
his name shall stand for ever,
his changeless Name of love.

SECOND READING [Revelation 11:1-14]:

Then I was given a measuring rod like a staff, and I was told, 'Come and measure the
temple of God and the altar and those who worship there, but do not measure the
court outside the temple; leave that out, for it is given over to the nations, and they
will trample over the holy city for forty-two months. And I will grant my two
witnesses authority to prophesy for one thousand two hundred and sixty days, wearing
sackcloth.'
These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the
earth. And if anyone wants to harm them, fire pours from their mouth and consumes
their foes; anyone who wants to harm them must be killed in this manner. They have
authority to shut the sky, so that no rain may fall during the days of their prophesying,
and they have authority over the waters to turn them into blood, and to strike the earth
with every kind of plague, as often as they desire.
When they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up from the bottomless
pit will make war on them and conquer them and kill them, and their dead bodies will
lie in the street of the great city that is prophetically called Sodom and Egypt, where
also their Lord was crucified. For three and a half days members of the peoples and
tribes and languages and nations will gaze at their dead bodies and refuse to let them
be placed in a tomb; and the inhabitants of the earth will gloat over them and celebrate
and exchange presents, because these two prophets had been a torment to the
inhabitants of the earth.
But after the three and a half days, the breath of life from God entered them, and they
stood on their feet, and those who saw them were terrified. Then they heard a loud
voice from heaven saying to them, 'Come up here!' And they went up to heaven in a
cloud while their enemies watched them. At that moment there was a great
earthquake, and a tenth of the city fell; seven thousand people were killed in the
earthquake, and the rest were terrified and gave glory to the God of heaven.
The second woe has passed. The third woe is coming very soon.

Knowing our God as the Shepherd King,
we turn to prayer for our own needs and those of all people:

You have gathered us into a people to call your own.
May our leaders who shepherd in your name,
bishops, priests, deacons, and lay ministers and leaders,
be gifted with your wisdom and justice.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

The nations long to be guided in the paths of righteousness.
Give politicians and civil servants renewed vision and energy
for their work of preparing and implementing policies
for the welfare of all citizens.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

You have charged us with the care
of the hungry, the stranger, the naked, the sick, the prisoner.
Open our eyes to see you in those without any other hope.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

Help us to remind the sick and the dying
of the glorious hope to which we are called.
Comfort and heal them according to your great wisdom and mercy.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

Prepare us for the day when the Son of Man
comes in glory with all his angels.
May we be ready to welcome him with our lamps burning.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

God is good and God's mercy is everlasting.
In that sure and certain knowledge
we commend ourselves and all for who me pray to that eternal mercy:
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

You have established your throne, O Lord,
above the chaos of this world:
may your truth, which is from everlasting,
be ours for ever and ever;

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

The canticle and collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is adapted from one (c) 1999, The Evangelical Lutheran
Church in Canada.