OREMUS: 25 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 24 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, November 25, 2006

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [2 Kings 23:1-14]:

Then the king directed that all the elders of Judah and
Jerusalem should be gathered to him. The king went up to
the house of the Lord, and with him went all the people
of Judah, all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the priests,
the prophets, and all the people, both small and great;
he read in their hearing all the words of the book of the
covenant that had been found in the house of the Lord.
The king stood by the pillar and made a covenant before
the Lord, to follow the Lord, keeping his commandments,
his decrees, and his statutes, with all his heart and all
his soul, to perform the words of this covenant that were
written in this book. All the people joined in the
covenant.
The king commanded the high priest Hilkiah, the priests
of the second order, and the guardians of the threshold,
to bring out of the temple of the Lord all the vessels
made for Baal, for Asherah, and for all the host of
heaven; he burned them outside Jerusalem in the fields of
the Kidron, and carried their ashes to Bethel. He deposed
the idolatrous priests whom the kings of Judah had
ordained to make offerings in the high places at the
cities of Judah and around Jerusalem; those also who made
offerings to Baal, to the sun, the moon, the
constellations, and all the host of the heavens. He
brought out the image of Asherah from the house of the
Lord, outside Jerusalem, to the Wadi Kidron, burned it at
the Wadi Kidron, beat it to dust and threw the dust of it
upon the graves of the common people. He broke down the
houses of the male temple prostitutes that were in the
house of the Lord, where the women did weaving for
Asherah. He brought all the priests out of the towns of
Judah, and defiled the high places where the priests had
made offerings, from Geba to Beer-sheba; he broke down
the high places of the gates that were at the entrance of
the gate of Joshua the governor of the city, which were
on the left at the gate of the city. The priests of the
high places, however, did not come up to the altar of the
Lord in Jerusalem, but ate unleavened bread among their
kindred. He defiled Topheth, which is in the valley of
Ben-hinnom, so that no one would make a son or a daughter
pass through fire as an offering to Molech. He removed
the horses that the kings of Judah had dedicated to the
sun, at the entrance to the house of the Lord, by the
chamber of the eunuch Nathan-melech, which was in the
precincts; then he burned the chariots of the sun with
fire. The altars on the roof of the upper chamber of
Ahaz, which the kings of Judah had made, and the altars
that Manasseh had made in the two courts of the house of
the Lord, he pulled down from there and broke in pieces,
and threw the rubble into the Wadi Kidron. The king
defiled the high places that were east of Jerusalem, to
the south of the Mount of Destruction, which King Solomon
of Israel had built for Astarte the abomination of the
Sidonians, for Chemosh the abomination of Moab, and for
Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites. He broke the
pillars in pieces, cut down the sacred poles, and covered
the sites with human bones.

HYMN
Words:  Charles Wesley, 1762, alt.
Tune: Hereford

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o649.html

O thou who camest from above
the fire celestial to impart,
kindle a flame of sacred love
on the mean altar of my heart.

There let it for thy glory burn
with inextinguishable blaze,
and trembling to its source return
in humble prayer and fervent praise.

Jesus, confirm my heart's desire
to work and speak and think for thee;
still let me guard the holy fire
and still stir up the gift in me.

Still let me prove thy perfect will,
my acts of faith and love repeat,
till death thy endless mercies seal,
and make the sacrifice complete.

SECOND READING [John 3:31-36]:

Jesus said, "The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is of the earth
belongs to the earth and speaks about earthly things. The one who comes from heaven
is above all. He testifies to what he has seen and heard, yet no one accepts his
testimony. Whoever has accepted his testimony has certified this, that God is true. He
whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure.
The Father loves the Son and has placed all things in his hands. Whoever believes in
the Son has eternal life; whoever disobeys the Son will not see life, but must endure
God's wrath."

Let us praise Christ our King,
by whose cross we have citizenship in heaven,
saying: Lord, have mercy.

Lord, you built your Church
on the foundation of the apostles:
Lord, have mercy.

You witness to your truth
in the lives of your saints:
Lord, have mercy.

You made us to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God:
Lord, have mercy.

You have shared our burdens
revealing the holiness of our life and work:
Lord, have mercy.

You stir us to seek
the mysteries of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy.

You lead us
to the eternal assembly of the saints:
Lord, have mercy.

Your kingdom come, O Lord,
with deliverance for the needy,
with peace for the righteous,
with overflowing blessing for all nations,
with glory, honour and praise
   for the only Saviour,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts