OREMUS: 24 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Nov 23 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Friday, November 24, 2006

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced
   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

FIRST READING [2 Kings 22:11-20]:

When the king heard the words of the book of the law, he
tore his clothes. Then the king commanded the priest
Hilkiah, Ahikam son of Shaphan, Achbor son of Micaiah,
Shaphan the secretary, and the king's servant Asaiah,
saying, 'Go, inquire of the Lord for me, for the people,
and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that
has been found; for great is the wrath of the Lord that
is kindled against us, because our ancestors did not obey
the words of this book, to do according to all that is
written concerning us.'
So the priest Hilkiah, Ahikam, Achbor, Shaphan, and
Asaiah went to the prophetess Huldah the wife of Shallum
son of Tikvah, son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe; she
resided in Jerusalem in the Second Quarter, where they
consulted her. She declared to them, 'Thus says the Lord,
the God of Israel: Tell the man who sent you to me, Thus
says the Lord, I will indeed bring disaster on this place
and on its inhabitants all the words of the book that the
king of Judah has read. Because they have abandoned me
and have made offerings to other gods, so that they have
provoked me to anger with all the work of their hands,
therefore my wrath will be kindled against this place,
and it will not be quenched. But as to the king of Judah,
who sent you to inquire of the Lord, thus shall you say
to him, Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: Regarding
the words that you have heard, because your heart was
penitent, and you humbled yourself before the Lord, when
you heard how I spoke against this place, and against its
inhabitants, that they should become a desolation and a
curse, and because you have torn your clothes and wept
before me, I also have heard you, says the Lord.
Therefore, I will gather you to your ancestors, and you
shall be gathered to your grave in peace; your eyes shall
not see all the disaster that I will bring on this
place.' They took the message back to the king.

HYMN
Words: Sydney H Nicholson (1875-1947)
Tune: Harewood

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h394.html

How joyful 'tis to sing
To God enthroned on high,
To raise the ancient strain
Of tuneful psalmody
As choristers, who thus delight
To chant his praise by day and night!

Yet art is not enough,
Nor voice that charms the ear,
Unless the heart be tuned
And worship be sincere:
Help us to fix our minds on thee,
And lead us to simplicity.

Should we with wandering thoughts
Our minds allow to stray,
Nor heed God's holy word,
And, kneeling, fail to pray,
Help us to serve with godly fear,
Lest we forget thy presence near.

We seek to perfect praise
On earth, in hope that we
Some glimpses here may gain
Of heavenly harmony,
Where discord ne'er shall mar the tone
Of those that sing around the throne.

Then in the praise of God
Let boys and men unite,
And, mindful of our trust,
Gird on our robes of white,
As symbol of the purity
That all must seek, who seek for thee.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 15:20-28]:

But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have died.
For since death came through a human being, the resurrection of the dead has also
come through a human being; for as all die in Adam, so all will be made alive in Christ.
But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, then at his coming those who belong
to Christ. Then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father,
after he has destroyed every ruler and every authority and power. For he must reign
until he has put all his enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
For 'God has put all things in subjection under his feet.' But when it says, 'All things
are put in subjection', it is plain that this does not include the one who put all things in
subjection under him. When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will
also be subjected to the one who put all things in subjection under him, so that God
may be all in all.

In joyful hope, we pray to you, O Lord:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to your Church as Lord and Judge
and give us a longing for your loving rule.

Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to your world as King of the nations
and let righteousness and peace prevail:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to us as Savior and Comforter,
breaking into our failure and freeing us to serve you:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to us with power and great joy,
that our hearts may be lifted to meet you in joy:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Inflame us with your love, O Christ,
that we may fly to the assistance of the nedy,
that we may clothe the nakedness of the vulnerable
and that with your endless compassion
we may bind up the wounds of the broken;
for your Name's sake. Amen.

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts