OREMUS: 22 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 21 17:00:01 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

O Lord, I call to you;
   my rock, do not be deaf to my cry;*
 lest, if you do not hear me,
   I become like those who go down to the Pit.
Hear the voice of my prayer when I cry out to you,*
 when I lift up my hands to your holy of holies.
Do not snatch me away with the wicked
   or with the evildoers,*
 who speak peaceably with their neighbours,
   while strife is in their hearts.
Repay them according to their deeds,*
 and according to the wickedness of their actions.
According to the work of their hands repay them,*
 and give them their just deserts.
They have no understanding of the Lord's doings,
   nor of the works of his hands;*
 therefore he will break them down
   and not build them up.
Blessed is the Lord!*
 for he has heard the voice of my prayer.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;*
 my heart trusts in him and I have been helped;
Therefore my heart dances for joy,*
 and in my song will I praise him.
The Lord is the strength of his people,*
 a safe refuge for his anointed.
Save your people and bless your inheritance;*
 shepherd them and carry them for ever.

Psalm 76

In Judah is God known;*
 his name is great in Israel.
At Salem is his tabernacle,*
 and his dwelling is in Zion.
There he broke the flashing arrows,*
 the shield, the sword and the weapons of battle.
How glorious you are!*
 more splendid than the everlasting mountains!
The strong of heart have been despoiled;
   they sink into sleep;*
 none of the warriors can lift a hand.
At your rebuke, O God of Jacob,*
 both horse and rider lie stunned.
What terror you inspire!*
 who can stand before you when you are angry?
>From heaven you pronounced judgement;*
 the earth was afraid and was still;
When God rose up to judgement*
 and to save all the oppressed of the earth.
Truly, wrathful Edom will give you thanks,*
 and the remnant of Hamath will keep your feasts.
Make a vow to the Lord your God and keep it;*
 let all around him bring gifts
   to him who is worthy to be feared.
He breaks the spirit of princes,*
 and strikes terror in the kings of the earth.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [2 Kings 22:1-10]:

Josiah was eight years old when he began to reign; he
reigned for thirty-one years in Jerusalem. His mother's
name was Jedidah daughter of Adaiah of Bozkath. He did
what was right in the sight of the Lord, and walked in
all the way of his father David; he did not turn aside to
the right or to the left.
In the eighteenth year of King Josiah, the king sent
Shaphan son of Azaliah, son of Meshullam, the secretary,
to the house of the Lord, saying, 'Go up to the high
priest Hilkiah, and have him count the entire sum of the
money that has been brought into the house of the Lord,
which the keepers of the threshold have collected from
the people; let it be given into the hand of the workers
who have the oversight of the house of the Lord; let them
give it to the workers who are at the house of the Lord,
repairing the house, that is, to the carpenters, to the
builders, to the masons; and let them use it to buy
timber and quarried stone to repair the house. But no
account shall be asked from them for the money that is
delivered into their hand, for they deal honestly.'
The high priest Hilkiah said to Shaphan the secretary, 'I
have found the book of the law in the house of the Lord.'
When Hilkiah gave the book to Shaphan, he read it. Then
Shaphan the secretary came to the king, and reported to
the king, 'Your servants have emptied out the money that
was found in the house, and have delivered it into the
hand of the workers who have oversight of the house of
the Lord.' Shaphan the secretary informed the king, 'The
priest Hilkiah has given me a book.' Shaphan then read it
aloud to the king.

HYMN
Words: Reginald Heber, 1827
Tune: All Saints New

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t344.html

The Son of God goes forth to war,
a kingly crown to gain;
his blood red banner streams afar:
who follows in his train?
Who best can drink his cup of woe,
triumphant over pain,
who patient bears his cross below,
he follows in his train.

That martyr first, whose eagle eye
could pierce beyond the grave;
who saw his Master in the sky,
and called on him to save.
Like him, with pardon on his tongue,
in midst of mortal pain,
he prayed for them that did the wrong:
who follows in his train?

A glorious band, the chosen few
on whom the Spirit came;
twelve valiant saints, their hope they knew,
and mocked the cross and flame.
They met the tyrant's brandished steel,
the lion's gory mane;
they bowed their heads the death to feel:
who follows in their train?

A noble army, men and boys,
the matron and the maid,
around the Savior's throne rejoice,
in robes of light arrayed.
They climbed the steep ascent of heaven,
through peril, toil and pain;
O God, to us may grace be given,
to follow in their train.

SECOND READING [Acts 7:54-8:1a]:

When they heard these things, they became enraged and ground their teeth at Stephen.
But filled with the Holy Spirit, he gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God and
Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 'Look,' he said, 'I see the heavens opened and
the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!' But they covered their ears, and
with a loud shout all rushed together against him. Then they dragged him out of the
city and began to stone him; and the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young
man named Saul. While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, 'Lord Jesus, receive my
spirit.' Then he knelt down and cried out in a loud voice, 'Lord, do not hold this sin
against them.' When he had said this, he died.
And Saul approved of their killing him.
That day a severe persecution began against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the
apostles were scattered throughout the countryside of Judea and Samaria.

>From the rising of the sun to its setting,
let us pray to the Lord.

That the people of God in all the world
may worship in spirit and in truth,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That the Church may discover again that unity which is your gift,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That the nations of the earth
may seek after the ways that make for peace,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That the whole creation, groaning in travail,
may be set free to enjoy the glorious liberty
of the children of God,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That all who with Christ have entered the shadow of death
may find the fulfilment of life and peace,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

With all the saints in light,
let us offer eternal praise to the Lord made manifest:

Judge eternal,
love is the government of your holy city
and the indictment of the proud.
We give thanks for the great salvation
you have revealed in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts