OREMUS: 21 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Nov 20 17:29:51 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

The Lord, the God of gods, has spoken;*
 he has called the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Out of Zion, perfect in its beauty,*
 God reveals himself in glory.
Our God will come and will not keep silence;*
 before him there is a consuming flame,
   and round about him a raging storm.
He calls the heavens and the earth from above*
 to witness the judgement of his people.
'Gather before me my loyal followers,*
 those who have made a covenant with me
   and sealed it with sacrifice.'
Let the heavens declare the rightness of his cause;*
 for God himself is judge.
Hear, O my people, and I will speak:
   'O Israel, I will bear witness against you;*
 for I am God, your God.
'I do not accuse you because of your sacrifices;*
 your offerings are always before me.
'I will take no bull-calf from your stalls,*
 nor he-goats out of your pens;
'For the beasts of the forest are mine,*
 the herds in their thousands upon the hills.
'I know every bird in the sky,*
 and the creatures of the fields are in my sight.
'If I were hungry, I would not tell you,*
 for the whole world is mine and all that is in it.
'Do you think I eat the flesh of bulls,*
 or drink the blood of goats?
'Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and make good your vows to the Most High.
'Call upon me in the day of trouble;*
 I will deliver you and you shall honour me.'
But to the wicked God says:*
 'Why do you recite my statutes,
   and take my covenant upon your lips;
'Since you refuse discipline,*
 and toss my words behind your back?
'When you see a thief, you make him your friend,*
 and you cast in your lot with adulterers.
'You have loosed your lips for evil,*
 and harnessed your tongue to a lie.
'You are always speaking evil of your brother*
 and slandering your own mother's son.
'These things you have done and I kept still,*
 and you thought that I am like you.
'I have made my accusation;*
 I have put my case in order before your eyes.
'Consider this well, you who forget God,*
 lest I rend you and there be none to deliver you.
'Whoever offers me the sacrifice of thanksgiving
   honours me;*
 but to those who keep in my way
   will I show the salvation of God.'

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

FIRST READING [1 Kings 8:22-30]:

Solomon stood before the altar of the Lord in the
presence of all the assembly of Israel, and spread out
his hands to heaven. He said, 'O Lord, God of Israel,
there is no God like you in heaven above or on earth
beneath, keeping covenant and steadfast love for your
servants who walk before you with all their heart, the
covenant that you kept for your servant my father David
as you declared to him; you promised with your mouth and
have this day fulfilled with your hand. Therefore, O
Lord, God of Israel, keep for your servant my father
David that which you promised him, saying, "There shall
never fail you a successor before me to sit on the throne
of Israel, if only your children look to their way, to
walk before me as you have walked before me." Therefore,
O God of Israel, let your word be confirmed, which you
promised to your servant my father David.
'But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Even heaven and
the highest heaven cannot contain you, much less this
house that I have built! Have regard to your servant's
prayer and his plea, O Lord my God, heeding the cry and
the prayer that your servant prays to you today; that
your eyes may be open night and day towards this house,
the place of which you said, "My name shall be there",
that you may heed the prayer that your servant prays
towards this place. Hear the plea of your servant and of
your people Israel when they pray towards this place; O
hear in heaven your dwelling-place; heed and forgive.

HYMN
Words: Francis Pott, 1866
Tune: Angel Voices

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a282.html

Angel voices, ever singing,
round thy throne of light,
angel harps, for ever ringing,
rest not day or night;
Thousands only live to bless Thee,
and confess Thee
Lord of might.

Thou who art beyond the farthest
mortal eye can scan,
can it be that thou regardest
songs of sinful man?
Can we know that thou art near us
and wilt hear us?
Yea, we can.

Yea, we know that thou rejoicest
o'er each work of thine;
thou didst ears and hands and voices
for thy praise design;
craftsman's art and music's measure
for thy pleasure
all combine.

In thy house, great God, we offer
of thine own to thee;
and for thine acceptance proffer,
all unworthily,
hearts and minds and hands and voices,
in our choicest
psalmody.

Honor, glory, might and merit,
thine shall ever be,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
blessed Trinity!
Of the best that thou hast given
earth and heaven
render thee.

SECOND READING [Mark 13:9-23]:

Jesus said, 'As for yourselves, beware; for they will hand you over to councils; and
you will be beaten in synagogues; and you will stand before governors and kings
because of me, as a testimony to them. And the good news must first be proclaimed to
all nations. When they bring you to trial and hand you over, do not worry beforehand
about what you are to say; but say whatever is given you at that time, for it is not you
who speak, but the Holy Spirit. Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his
child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; and you will be
hated by all because of my name. But the one who endures to the end will be
saved.
'But when you see the desolating sacrilege set up where it ought not to be (let the
reader understand), then those in Judea must flee to the mountains; someone on the
housetop must not go down or enter the house to take anything away; someone in the
field must not turn back to get a coat. Woe to those who are pregnant and to those
who are nursing infants in those days! Pray that it may not be in winter. For in those
days there will be suffering, such as has not been from the beginning of the creation
that God created until now, no, and never will be. And if the Lord had not cut short
those days, no one would be saved; but for the sake of the elect, whom he chose, he
has cut short those days. And if anyone says to you at that time, "Look! Here is the
Messiah!" or "Look! There he is!" do not believe it. False messiahs and false
prophets will appear and produce signs and omens, to lead astray, if possible, the elect.
But be alert; I have already told you everything.'

Let us turn our eyes to the Lord of glory
and enthrone him on our praises, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Jesus, servant of God,
you bring justice to the peoples:
Lord, have mercy.

You love your people
with a faithful love:
Lord, have mercy.

You were lifted up on the cross
that you might draw all people to yourself:
Lord, have mercy.

You bring hope and joy
to those who walk in the valley and shadow of death:
Lord, have mercy.

You have liberated us
so that we might be free for ever:
Lord, have mercy.

You, O Christ, are our justice,
our peace and our redemption:
Lord, have mercy.

God of love, give us love:
Love in our thinking and our speaking;
Love in our doing and in the hidden places of our souls;
Love of our neighbors far and near;
Love of those who find it hard to bear
and of those who find it hard to bear with us;
Love in joy, Love in sorrow;
Love in life and love in death. Amen.

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts