OREMUS: 19 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 18 21:03:31 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Sunday, November 19, 2006
The Twenty-Fourth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

Protect me, O God, for I take refuge in you;*
 I have said to the Lord, 'You are my Lord,
   my good above all other.'
All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land,*
 upon those who are noble among the people.
But those who run after other gods*
 shall have their troubles multiplied.
Their libations of blood I will not offer,*
 nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.
O Lord, you are my portion and my cup;*
 it is you who uphold my lot.
My boundaries enclose a pleasant land;*
 indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel;*
 my heart teaches me, night after night.
I have set the Lord always before me;*
 because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
My heart, therefore, is glad and my spirit rejoices;*
 my body also shall rest in hope.
For you will not abandon me to the grave,*
 nor let your holy one see the Pit.
You will show me the path of life;*
 in your presence there is fullness of joy,
   and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12:22-24a,28-29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.

We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.

We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.

We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.

We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,

full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 3:19-4:2]:

As Samuel grew up, the Lord was with him and let none of
his words fall to the ground. And all Israel from Dan to
Beer-sheba knew that Samuel was a trustworthy prophet of
the Lord. The Lord continued to appear at Shiloh, for the
Lord revealed himself to Samuel at Shiloh by the word of
the Lord.
And the word of Samuel came to all Israel.
In those days the Philistines mustered for war against
Israel, and Israel went out to battle against them; they
encamped at Ebenezer, and the Philistines encamped at
Aphek. The Philistines drew up in line against Israel,
and when the battle was joined, Israel was defeated by
the Philistines, who killed about four thousand men on
the field of battle.

HYMN
Words: Latin, sixth century; trans. John Mason Neale, 1851
Tune: Lucis Creator, Bromley

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o015.html

O blest Creator of the light,
who mak'st the day with radiance bright,
and o'er the forming world didst call
the light from chaos first of all.

Whose wisdom joined in meet array
the morn and eve, and named them day:
night comes with all its darkling fears;
regard thy people's prayers and tears.

Lest, sunk in sin, and whelmed with strife,
they lose the gift of endless life;
while thinking but the thoughts of time,
they weave new chains of woe and crime.

But grant them grace that they may strain
the heavenly gate and prize to gain:
each harmful lure aside to cast,
and purge away each error past.

O Father, that we ask be done,
through Jesus Christ, thine only Son;
who, with the Holy Ghost and thee,
doth live and reign eternally.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 10:26-31]:

For if we wilfully persist in sin after having received the knowledge of the truth, there
no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful prospect of judgement, and a fury
of fire that will consume the adversaries. Anyone who has violated the law of Moses
dies without mercy 'on the testimony of two or three witnesses.' How much worse
punishment do you think will be deserved by those who have spurned the Son of God,
profaned the blood of the covenant by which they were sanctified, and outraged the
Spirit of grace? For we know the one who said, 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay.' And
again, 'The Lord will judge his people.' It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the
living God.

God did not wait till the world was ready,
till nations were at peace.
God came when the Heavens were unsteady
and prisoners cried out for release.

God did not wait for the perfect time.
God came when the need was deep and great.
God dined with sinners in all their grime, turned water into wine.

God did not wait till hearts were pure.
In joy God came to a tarnished world of sin and doubt.
To a world like ours, of anguished shame, God came
and God's Light would not go out.

God came to a world which did not mesh;
to heal its tangles, shield its scorn.
In the mystery of the Word made Flesh,
the maker of the stars was born.

We cannot wait till the world is sane to raise our songs with joyful voice,
or to share our grief, to touch our pain,
 God came with Love:  Rejoice!  Rejoice!

Almighty God,
whose sovereign purpose none can make void:
give us faith to be steadfast amid the tumults of this world,
knowing that your kingdom shall come
and your will be done, to your eternal glory;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts