OREMUS: 18 November 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 17 23:44:45 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Saturday, November 18, 2006
Elizabeth of Hungary, Princess of Thuringia, Philanthropist, 1231
Thirteenth Anniversary of Oremus, First Day of Posting, 1993

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

Come, let us sing to the Lord;*
 let us shout for joy to the rock of our salvation.
Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving*
 and raise a loud shout to him with psalms.
For the Lord is a great God,*
 and a great king above all gods.
In his hand are the depths of the earth,*
 and the heights of the hills are his also.
The sea is his, for he made it,*
 and his hands have moulded the dry land.
Come, let us bow down and bend the knee,*
 and kneel before the Lord our Maker.
For he is our God,
   and we are the people of his pasture
   and the sheep of his hand.*
 O that today you would hearken to his voice!
'Harden not your hearts,
   as your forebears did in the wilderness,*
 at Meribah, and on that day at Massah,
   when they tempted me.
'They put me to the test,*
 though they had seen my works.
'Forty years long I detested that generation and said,*
 "This people are wayward in their hearts;
 they do not know my ways."
'So I swore in my wrath,*
 "They shall not enter into my rest."'

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 3:1-18]:

Now the boy Samuel was ministering to the Lord under Eli.
The word of the Lord was rare in those days; visions were
not widespread.
At that time Eli, whose eyesight had begun to grow dim so
that he could not see, was lying down in his room; the
lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying
down in the temple of the Lord, where the ark of God was.
Then the Lord called, 'Samuel! Samuel!' and he said,
'Here I am!' and ran to Eli, and said, 'Here I am, for
you called me.' But he said, 'I did not call; lie down
again.' So he went and lay down. The Lord called again,
'Samuel!' Samuel got up and went to Eli, and said, 'Here
I am, for you called me.' But he said, 'I did not call,
my son; lie down again.' Now Samuel did not yet know the
Lord, and the word of the Lord had not yet been revealed
to him. The Lord called Samuel again, a third time. And
he got up and went to Eli, and said, 'Here I am, for you
called me.' Then Eli perceived that the Lord was calling
the boy. Therefore Eli said to Samuel, 'Go, lie down; and
if he calls you, you shall say, "Speak, Lord, for your
servant is listening." ' So Samuel went and lay down in
his place.
Now the Lord came and stood there, calling as before,
'Samuel! Samuel!' And Samuel said, 'Speak, for your
servant is listening.' Then the Lord said to Samuel,
'See, I am about to do something in Israel that will make
both ears of anyone who hears of it tingle. On that day I
will fulfil against Eli all that I have spoken concerning
his house, from beginning to end. For I have told him
that I am about to punish his house for ever, for the
iniquity that he knew, because his sons were blaspheming
God, and he did not restrain them. Therefore I swear to
the house of Eli that the iniquity of Eli's house shall
not be expiated by sacrifice or offering for ever.'
Samuel lay there until morning; then he opened the doors
of the house of the Lord. Samuel was afraid to tell the
vision to Eli. But Eli called Samuel and said, 'Samuel,
my son.' He said, 'Here I am.' Eli said, 'What was it
that he told you? Do not hide it from me. May God do so
to you and more also, if you hide anything from me of all
that he told you.' So Samuel told him everything and hid
nothing from him. Then he said, 'It is the Lord; let him
do what seems good to him.'

HYMN
Words: George Herbert, 1633
Tune: University
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t152.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t
152.html

The God of love my Shepherd is,
and he that doth me feed;
while he is mine and I am his,
what can I want or need?

He leads me to the tender grass,
where I both feed and rest;
then to the streams that gently pass,
in both I have the best.

Or if I stray, he doth convert,
and bring my mind in frame,
and all this not for my desert,
but for his holy Name.

Yea, in death's shady black abode
well may I walk, not fear;
for thou art with me, and thy rod
to guide, thy staff to bear.

Surely thy sweet and wondrous love
shall measure all my days;
and as it never shall remove
so neither shall my praise.

SECOND READING [Mark 2:1-12]:

When Jesus returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at
home. So many gathered around that there was no longer room for them, not even in
front of the door; and he was speaking the word to them. Then some people came,
bringing to him a paralysed man, carried by four of them. And when they could not
bring him to Jesus because of the crowd, they removed the roof above him; and after
having dug through it, they let down the mat on which the paralytic lay. When Jesus
saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, 'Son, your sins are forgiven.' Now some of the
scribes were sitting there, questioning in their hearts, 'Why does this fellow speak in
this way? It is blasphemy! Who can forgive sins but God alone?' At once Jesus
perceived in his spirit that they were discussing these questions among themselves; and
he said to them, 'Why do you raise such questions in your hearts? Which is easier, to
say to the paralytic, "Your sins are forgiven", or to say, "Stand up and take your mat
and walk"? But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to
forgive sins' he said to the paralytic  'I say to you, stand up, take your mat and go
to your home.' And he stood up, and immediately took the mat and went out before all
of them; so that they were all amazed and glorified God, saying, 'We have never seen
anything like this!'

under whose wings we dwell in safety and mercy,
we give you thanks for all the seasons of grace:
for hope that cries out with prophetic voice,
for your gift of Emmanuel,
for your light that shines in the darkness:
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Enable us to make fresh beginnings
during these Advent days...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Release the everlasting stream of your justice and peace
that it may flow among the nations...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

For your Church reaching out in every place, especially
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Save and defend all who suffer want, brokenness, or trouble...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Resupply your Church and its leaders
with the oil of gladness and vigilance...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Creator of all,
we give you thanks for a world full of wonder,
but above all because you have called us
into a holy fellowship with you and with each other.
Guide us in the ways of your new creation,
rooted and grounded in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Lord God,
who taught Elizabeth of Hungary
to recognize and reverence Christ
in the poor of this world:
by her example
strengthen us to love and serve
the afflicted and the needy
and so to honour your Son, the servant king,

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The numerous "St. Elizabeth's Hospitals" throughout the world are for the
most part named, not for the Biblical Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist,
but for this princess of Hungary. She was concerned for the relief of the poor
and the sick, and with her husband's consent she used her dowry money for
their relief. During a famine and epidemic in 1226, while her husband was away
in Italy, she sold her jewels and established a hospital where she nursed the
sick, and opened the royal granaries to feed the hungry. After her husband's
death in 1227, her inlaws, who opposed her "extravagances," expelled her from
Wartburg. Finally an arrangement was negotiated with them that gave her a
stipend. She became a Franciscan tertiary (lay associate) and devoted the
remainder of her life to nursing and charity. She sewed garments to clothe the
poor, and went fishing to feed them.

Oremus was first devised in November 1993, as a response to a question on
the ANGLICAN email list about how individuals might keep the forthcoming
Advent more effectively.
The intention was and is to make available a form of the "Daily Office",
traditional in format, sufficiently brief and relevant to be used by as many
readers as possible, and not duplicating any other form likely to be already
used by members.
Steve Benner undertook to create the Office and to post it each day, and he did
this for nearly two years, from its first appearance on Thursday, 18 November
1993, until 13 September 1995. For the next fifteen months, Simon Kershaw
compiled the Office, and from 1996-January 1998, Steve Benner and Simon
Kershaw alternated responsibility for the compilation of the Office. Steve has
continued to produce the daily office since January 1998; Simon has since
become responsible for programming the feed for Common Worship - Daily
Prayer (see link on our site).
Oremus serves to nourish each of us in our daily prayer and bible reading; to
introduce more people to the tradition of the Daily Office; to strengthen the
sense of community of the group by the knowledge that our fellow members
are using the same form of prayer, and by our prayers for one another; to
strengthen our Anglican identity in our prayers for the Anglican Communion;
and to greaten our Christian love in our prayers for our fellow Christians and
for all people. While we do this work as a volunteer effort, it requires your support to help
keep it going. Please consider making a donation in support by going to our website.